RSS alert for new router FW update?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
Author Message
patrickmau
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 01 Dec 2016
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:22    Post subject: RSS alert for new router FW update? Reply with quote
I am wondering whether there is a way to have DD-WRT update me when a new FW update for my router is released? I don't think there is such a feature in-built to DD-WRT and I just recently found out that the router I ran for years on r40559 has an update to version of r47090.

Plus, since I cannot just backup my config, update the router and then restore the settings (I was warned this might brick), I would much prefer to keep an eye on the individual FW release and see if there are any updates that matter to me and then decide whether I want to reset and re-setup my router (backing up and restore would be really something I wish could be fixed...).

Is there maybe a RSS feed I can subscribe to that updates me whenever a new release is out? Or perhaps there is a feature request for an update check thats built into DD-WRT?

Thanks
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 10001
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Search IONK's posts. Pretty sure unless that thread got pinched in the debacle, we discussed an RSS feed. There is also easyddup. Or, you could create your own. OR, you could've read this post in the forum rules and guidelines, like I already mentioned (if I am not mistaken...). We don't have an RSS feed for the changelog, but you can just check https://svn.dd-wrt.com ... it would be a pain in the a$$ to do one that polls the forum for new build threads, lol.
_________________
Official Forum Rules, Guidelines & Helpful InformationFirmware FAQInstallation WikiWhere Do I Download Firmware?
DON'T use Chromium-based browsersRTFM/STFW TL;DR is NOT an excuse. • Why Should I Care What Color the Bikeshed Is?
Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 20 Jan 2019
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:10    Post subject: Re: RSS alert for new router FW update? Reply with quote
patrickmau wrote:
keep an eye on the individual FW release and see if there are any updates that matter to me
Well, that is what the new build threads are for (Atheros, Broadcom, Marvell, Ralink/MediaTek & x86).

Backup and restore is intended for the same build, otherwise possible issues arise not recommended.
After update can choose to configure on top of your existing config, just do not restore an old backup.

YMMV. It's best to reset and reconfigure from scratch after upgrading old builds as too much changed.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 18 Nov 2012
Posts: 978

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
make a backup of what you currently have and then properly name it making sure you know its for, in your case, build 40559.

I am assuming you are aiming to keep the same exact configuration on the new firmware here...

You could take pictures of each page. That way, when you do you a factory reset and flash the new firmware, you can look at each picture to make sure you had the same configuration as before.

I am in agreement with blkt. After what I have been finding with dd-wrt over the years, its best to do a factory reset after* going to a new build.

_________________
For people who are new to the dd-wrt forums >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#rtfm

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..


Internet Connection 1
Gateway Router > WRT1900ACv1

Internet connection 2
NAS-AP > WRT32x


Last edited by Gameman Advanced Kid on Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:42; edited 1 time in total
patrickmau
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 01 Dec 2016
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Search IONK's posts. Pretty sure unless that thread got pinched in the debacle, we discussed an RSS feed. There is also easyddup. Or, you could create your own. OR, you could've read this post in the forum rules and guidelines, like I already mentioned (if I am not mistaken...). We don't have an RSS feed for the changelog, but you can just check https://svn.dd-wrt.com ... it would be a pain in the a$$ to do one that polls the forum for new build threads, lol.


Thanks, but what I am looking for is an automated solution, having to go to the forum and sift through threads occasionally just to understand whether there is an update for my FW is not really feasible.

I was more looking for something in the vein of DD-WRT alerting me to that an update is available, rather having to ascertain this myself manually.
patrickmau
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 01 Dec 2016
Posts: 14

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Gameman Advanced Kid wrote:
make a backup of what you currently have and then properly name it making sure you know its for, in your case, build 40559.

I am assuming you are aiming to keep the same exact configuration on the new firmware here...

You could take pictures of each page. That way, when you do you a factory reset and flash the new firmware, you can look at each picture to make sure you had the same configuration as before.

I am in agreement with blkt. After what I have been finding with dd-wrt over the years, its best to do a factory reset before going to a new build.


Yes, thats more or less what I do now, but I am absolutely screwed when trying to update a router when I am not physically present. I have remote access to my router in another country, meaning I have absolutely no access once the first reset is done. Then comes the upgrade and then comes the whole re-setup which is a pain if one uses fixed IPs for MAC devices, Wireguard Server, Astrill Applet, etc...

It should be possible to save all settings in a backup file and then upon import on the new version, have that particular skip / reset settings of areas that got updated. Eg. if the WireGuard Server was updated, just ignore or use default values for the WG Settings that changed.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 20 Jan 2019
Posts: 3135

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
For the record I did not say reset before or during an upgrade, but did say can build upon existing config.

But free to ignore easyddup, two RSS feeds, all build threads, this forum, Trac SVN, http & ftp file server.

Maybe it is best to have a trusted human on the other side to handle and coordinate a successful upgrade.
Gameman Advanced Kid
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 18 Nov 2012
Posts: 978

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
patrickmau wrote:
Yes, thats more or less what I do now, but I am absolutely screwed when trying to update a router when I am not physically present.


Well, why didn't you just say so?

blkt wrote:
For the record I did not say to reset before an upgrade, but did say you can build upon an existing config.


Fixed. Again, my foul up. Still in agreement with this for this kind of scenario.

_________________
For people who are new to the dd-wrt forums >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#rtfm

barryware wrote:
It takes a "community" to raise a router..


Internet Connection 1
Gateway Router > WRT1900ACv1

Internet connection 2
NAS-AP > WRT32x
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 08 May 2018
Posts: 10001
Location: Texas, USA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, @patrickmau, then there is no need for further discussion. You were given two separate RSS feeds, a way to create your own personal RSS feed, information about a user-written utility to help streamline the process, and all you wish to do is balk.
_________________
Official Forum Rules, Guidelines & Helpful InformationFirmware FAQInstallation WikiWhere Do I Download Firmware?
DON'T use Chromium-based browsersRTFM/STFW TL;DR is NOT an excuse. • Why Should I Care What Color the Bikeshed Is?
Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 1
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You can attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum