Buffalo WBR2G54S running 14896 as a network adapter [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
vintagepen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:53    Post subject: Buffalo WBR2G54S running 14896 as a network adapter [SOLVED] Reply with quote
I hope this isn't too basic or obvious a question but I have lost my Tivo network adapter. The tivo is nowhere near my Linksys router

Should I be able to set up my Buffalo router as a repeater bridge to get a signal through the ethernet OUT of the Buffalo into the ethernet IN of the tivo?

I cant see where the router scans for my network to log into the Linksys to pick up the network to feed it into the tivo unit please?

Or is there no scan function in build 14896?
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do you know the SSID and login information for your upstream router's AP? At a minimum, 14929 is recommended per the Peacock Thread; however, see the sticky at the top of this forum for WRT54* series and it's clones build recommendations.

You should be able to use client or client bridge for what you're wanting to do, unless you absolutely need a repeated wi-fi signal.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
vintagepen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for that and no, I don't need any of the complexities of wifi so client bridge or client would be fine.

I took this router out of storage when I lost the tivo network access card and didn't know about the newer builds. Back when I was configuring this router I seem to remember all the firmwares were usually quite elderly and I'm not sure mesh had been implemented yet.

I know every consumer likes GUIs but if it still doesn't scan I am sure I can figure out how and where to input the simple SSID and password to get this thing repeating through the ethernet cable
vintagepen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well that has become significantly more sophisticated (meaning complicated!) than I remember.

The WIKI recommended a new 2.4 micro with olsrd dated 2020 so I flashed that one successfully. Then did a (simple) reset successfully.

I am now on a build 44715 but I still cant see where to input the SSID and password? Am I overthinking this?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wireless -> Basic Settings and Wireless -> Wireless Security in the webUI

----------------------
vintagepen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Wireless -> Basic Settings and Wireless -> Wireless Security in the webUI

Thank you again for that, 'cos I am definitely overthinking this! I had figured out that for myself and had even worked out which security protocol is needed. I'm kinda just not used to logging into a network without being told that I have logged in AND entered the proper password.

I also now see the WAN in the top right of the screen, and it looks realistic as 192.168.1.127. When I fiddle with the wrong security protocol. that changes to 0.0.0.0

It's just that with wifi turned off and the ethernet cable connected between this computer and the router, I expect to do a cross-check by opening a new tab on this browser and opening a page on it!

If I can't do that, should I assume that something is wrong? Or should I just disconnect everything and put the router next to the tivo and connect the ethernet cable and be done with it?

Thanks again for your help.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you can verify connectivity via ethernet with your laptop, and it remains connected, and you can surf the internet just fine, then you can connect via ethernet to the TiVo and be fine. If you run into issues, you can always re-connect the laptop and check for issues. Hope this helps answers your question(s).

----------------------
vintagepen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, I entered those two parameters and something is still wrong. And I can see the correct IP in the top right corner, - AND I can refresh by switching to client bridge, seeing it change to 0.0.0.0 and switching back to client and seeing it refresh immediately to 192.168.1.134.

But I still cant cross-check by connecting another ethernet cable to the router and getting online with it? And obviously tivo cant connect to its service, neither automatically nor by manually entering either 192.168.1.134 or 192.168.1.1
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 16:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume that you are using client mode. Client bridge has a few other steps required. Client mode should work pretty much out of the box from default configuration.

----------------------
vintagepen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
This is baffling. The router to which this buffalo is connecting is at 192.168.1.9

Do you think I should be entering this somewhere? Or where I have entered the WPA key, should I try that old script for using a promiscuous router which people used to use?

Last edited by vintagepen on Tue Jul 20, 2021 16:49; edited 1 time in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
In client bridge mode, yes. On basic setup page in the gateway entry. And your buffalo's local IP should be set to an IP in the same subnet outside of the allocated dhcp range. In client mode, you would need to change your buffalo's IP address to another subnet if your upstream router is in 192.168.1.x subnet (i.e. 192.168.2.x). Hope this makes sense.

----------------------
vintagepen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well you're obviously some kind of networking genius! Changing the IP to 192.168.2.1 did the trick immediately the router saved and rebooted!!

Thanks for taking the time to assist me.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're welcome! I kinda figured it was something simple like that. Glad it all worked out!

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: