Archer C9 V4 Unable to install firmware

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well considering the v3 and v4 were essentially blind ports and I have no idea what all you have tried, sure. I always need *another* device to contribute information back to the developer to fix things on... LaughingRolling EyesTwisted Evil PM sent.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Sponsor
marr17
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got your pm and in the heading just to clarify it is the Archer C9 V4 and not the C7...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
I must've been thinking of 7 of 9... Cool Twisted Evil

----------------------
jwgallardo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:31    Post subject: Another C9 v4 case Reply with quote
I have 5 Archer devices:
2 C8 v1 that was flashed with r44715 without any issues.
1 C8 v3 that I planned to flash with r45820 but I confused my files and ended flashing with r44715 for v1 without issues.
1 C9 v3 that I initially upgraded with r47117 and it partially bricked and went unresponsive with one led flashing. Hapilly, I can enter to tftp recovery and I upgraded to r44715 and it is working perfect.

Finally, a C9 v4 with stock older firmware 2016114 that I cannot install DD-WRT in any way. Here the steps I tried:
1) I tried installing r33525 (first support), r36247, r39650, r39654, r44715, r47117 and all of them come back to the "unable to upgrade" screen. Consider that I'm using the older TP-Link firmware.
2) I also tried the test firmware that some are using for C9 v1 and the same "unable to upgrade" screen.
3) I tried to use tftp but it cannot enter into tftp recovery mode. I know how to use it and never got any log response in the tftpd64 program. I used both the reset/wps button and wifi button.
4) I assume my device is using the webpage firmware recovery but I don't know how to enter on that mode. I tried but I cannot get into it.

So, it seems that Squirrelysloth also did all of this using the newest 20171219 firmware and was the same case. I don't know what else to try. Please @kernel-panic69 if you received the unit, could you give me any other advice to try to upgrade the firmware to DDWRT?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still have to get my serial header pins installed on the one that was sent to me so I can get information for BrainSlayer, but reading the C9 v3/4 thread, there were folks who were tftp flashing the smaller, older EU stock firmware to their devices and then flashing DD-WRT from there. I have not confirmed this as I was hoping to get the information to BS so that we can finally just flash via stock webUI. TFTP flash is done using TFTPD32 4.52 or TFTPD64 server; to activate TFTP recovery of device you press and hold WPS/reset button, power on and count to 5, release WPS/reset button and the file should transfer. Your PC should have a static IP address of 192.168.0.66 set. This procedure is in the C9 wiki. You should also be able to flash DD-WRT factory-to-ddwrt file this way.

----------------------
jwgallardo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your response. I know how to do a TFTP flash. I use the program TFTPD64, I put my computer with static 192.168.0.66 and did the procedure in the router. Unfortunately, I did not get any response in the log viewer of my C9v4. Usually, when you do this without a file to flash, you get a log info about the name of the file that the router is waiting for. I have done like 3 routers before with this method but with my C9v4 I didn't get any response so I assume it is not getting into TFTP recovery mode. Probably, this equipment is only using the new web firmware recovery from TP-Link. That is why I couldn't flash any FW. Have you heard about this? Should I try again using the name "ArcherC9v4_tp_recovery.bin"??? But I really think that my C9v4 is not entering into TFTP recovery mode.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume that entering this mode is done the same way as TFTP; Perhaps requiring a browser be pointed at 192.168.0.1 with a static IP on your client device. Or do you mean flash the recovery.bin from the stock webUI? I always thought that it was something similar to the ASUS mini cfe webserver recovery. I have not taken the time to explore all options here. If you are familiar with the TFTP method, then this video link is moot, but this is what you should be looking for, just for confirmation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8RyW82Z2M

Sorry, I just have not had the mood to focus on this.

----------------------
jwgallardo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I presume that entering this mode is done the same way as TFTP; Perhaps requiring a browser be pointed at 192.168.0.1 with a static IP on your client device. Or do you mean flash the recovery.bin from the stock webUI? I always thought that it was something similar to the ASUS mini cfe webserver recovery. I have not taken the time to explore all options here. If you are familiar with the TFTP method, then this video link is moot, but this is what you should be looking for, just for confirmation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8RyW82Z2M

Sorry, I just have not had the mood to focus on this.

Yes, that is exactly what I'm doing. I learned from other video of this guy Richard Floyd (explaining the same with different TP-Link router). My problem is that I'm not getting any TFTP recovery connection. Other 4 routers do. Basically, I'm not getting anything in log viewer windows that you can see at 20:42 time in the video. In that log you can see the router connected to TFTP mode and asking for the file ArcherC9v1_tp_recovery.bin that in my case maybe should be ArcherC9v4_tp_recovery.bin. Unfortunately, this is my only router out of 5 that is not entering in this mode. Weird. I will ask Richard if he has any idea. I even use the WiFi button and nothing.

BTW, WebGui always send the message "unable to upgrade" no matter what file I tried as I explained in my OP. So no, I want to use the TFTP method, but my router is different and is not entering into TFTP recovery mode.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, for those who are not aware, there are two versions of the C9v4; an EU_CA_US version and a US-Only version. Check the label on your router. The EU version uses a u-boot bootloader to load a ramdisk which contains a cfe bootloader. The US version does NOT. I am collaborating with BrainSlayer on getting him a fullflash dump for the US version. For the EU version see this thread as well as the device wiki.

----------------------
jwgallardo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Ok, for those who are not aware, there are two versions of the C9v4; an EU_CA_US version and a US-Only version. Check the label on your router. The EU version uses a u-boot bootloader to load a ramdisk which contains a cfe bootloader. The US version does NOT. I am collaborating with BrainSlayer on getting him a fullflash dump for the US version. For the EU version see this thread as well as the device wiki.

Mine is US version and I tried all ways to enter into TFTP mode without success. I also have a C9v3 US version too and I could flash it without issues.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
And, of course TP-Link left the resistors that go in the path of the serial UART connection off the f*cking SoC board; I don't have the components required to install nor the desire to test shorting the pads to see if I can get a serial dump. @#$%^&*!

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: