[SOLVED] [FON] All? FW Since r45632 = radioFAIL!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ifyhcrdi.i1h
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 20:12    Post subject: [SOLVED] [FON] All? FW Since r45632 = radioFAIL! Reply with quote
Of note - I do all my FW updates via wired_eth + WebUI (incl AFFIRMING the reset-to-default option) and they usually work fine.

All? FW updates since (and incl) r45632 (2021/01/31), after the update is done, show no radio (meaning that my Win7 laptop's WiFi can see no 'dd-wrt' AP).

All *tested* FW prior to that have the radio working fine (i.e. a couple of minutes after the FW update an AP named 'dd-wrt' appears).

The attached screenshot of my spreadsheet gives more detail.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume this is using the modified redboot per the wiki and BrainSlayer's instructions in the thread I linked in your other thread?

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=325092

I have emailed BrainSlayer regarding this; for now, at least use a good newer-than-40559 version or try installing and upgrading through redboot, like others were advised to and like the wiki says to.

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/LaFonera_Software_Flashing

Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ifyhcrdi.i1h
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I presume this is using the modified redboot per the wiki and BrainSlayer's instructions in the thread I linked in your other thread?
Of course not - right in my post I said I'm using the WebUI!

Kernel, what I'm doing is what 99% of people are going to be doing - via the web, update the FW.

You seem to be spooked by the setting for reset-to-defaults ('soft-bricking' and all), though that means nothing to me since a soft brick is a device which is essentially completely unresponsive, but for which some exotic/non-obvious method can be implemented to revive it... and I experience no such unresponsiveness when I use the WebUI + reset-to-defaults to update the FW.

Having said all that I'll review your prior posts (I may have skimmed & skipped a useful link you wrote) and do more reading if I can... though I didn't want to make a PhD out of dipping into this Fon + DD-WRT stuff.

Quote:
<snip>

for now, at least use a good newer-than-40559 version.
I was intending on 45592 (2021/01/28) since it was the highest that had radio=ok but since I did a reboot of it, it's now booting up with radio=off... so there's something funky going on... maybe some meat to your "soft-bricky" spookiness?

I can access WebUI fine so will try a reset-to-defaults via Admin/FactoryDefaults tab; if that doesn't restore the radio then I'll try a redboot install of the same FW version - 45592.

While all that's going on I'll read more of your links.

Meh, computers suk.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
The reset to defaults option is broken and may cause issues. You should probably re-test without doing that or use the safest method via redboot.

Now, regarding flashing via webUI vs. commandline / redboot and using the modified redboot, this is from an email while we were working on fixing the fonera issues in that other thread:

BrainSlayer wrote:
fonera works. i have flashed all versions including the latest but flashing takes 15 - 20 minutes each time.
so he needs to be patient while doing upgrades. and if the browser fails in this 20 minutes you are fucked and
you need to upgrade using redboot commandline (or using the flashing tool which makes use of the redboot)

my microredboot i wrote a long time ago works also on this device. if he installs this bootloader he as a easy
tftp recovery method using the reset button and the device boots just in 5 seconds as additional feature.
this tftp recovery does also support the dd-wrt webflash format

FonFlash (via Gargoyle site):

https://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php (select fonflash)

Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
your wifi led issue is nothing i care about. i switched the driver to ath5k in newer versions which lacks led support here. but i will test latest on mine next days. it just takes forever to flash it each time i try it

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
tested now fonera. all working including wifi. so report is not true. reset to defaults works too. i assume your wifi config is bad. consider that i changed the wifi driver and some old settings might not be compatible. so review your wifi config

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
okay. i found a nasty bug. the chipset was operating in wrong channel width. i fixed that in driver now

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
okay. i found a nasty bug. the chipset was operating in wrong channel width. i fixed that in driver now
Hee hee, you make me freudensprung!

I'll keep an eye out for a new FW to test and report back on the radio - thx.
ifyhcrdi.i1h
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
<snip>

FonFlash (via Gargoyle site):

https://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php (select fonflash)
So I grabbed that, seems to be from 2009 era.

When I run the exe it complains of missing wpcap.dll. So I grab that file from my PC (\Windows\System32\Npcap), and some others similarly needed, but still no joy - I end up with an errmsg saying 'Could not detect any network devices'.

Maybe cuz I'm 64-bit (Win7) but FonFlash is/requires 32-bit?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Run As Administrator
ifyhcrdi.i1h
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
BrainSlayer wrote:
Ok, I just tested the new FW (2021/06/30-r47000) and to me the radio is working correctly now, so thx!

Speaking more broadly: in my initial, low-demand use of it it seems to be working perfectly.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please consider adding a flash report to the build thread:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329516

ifyhcrdi.i1h
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Please consider adding a flash report to the build thread
Done, thx for bringing that to my attention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: