Why does my 2.4 GHz show that it's 2x faster than my 5 GHz?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
5Ghz band is only good for the room that the AP is in, usually. This is a given. It is not as deep-penetrating as the 2.4 band.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
@WENED: are your links indoors, penetrating concrete, steel, wood, drywall?
They make outdoor APs with directional antennas that can be used for wireless bridges, both 5GHz and 2.4GHz.
Back in the day, the long link was 6.2 miles; this was 20 years ago. The original links were ~1 mile.

I am not going to go into a detailed history lesson about wavelan here, nor the limitations given noisy
or quiet environments. Generally speaking, 5GHz in these routers is limited to the constraints of a single
room in your house, maybe 2 rooms at most, with a decent signal and connection. I have maybe one or
two bars from the main router/AP on the other side of the house and a lot of times it will not connect
because of signal quality and constraints of the firmware. Anyhow, I will just simply agree to disagree.

yes well it depends!!!

how big the rooms are and whether we are really talking about steel-reinforced concrete walls here

I have at my parents a R7800 which is placed quite centrally in the apartment and the router supplies 5 rooms over 5ghz with 200-300Mbit
It is actually almost everywhere even in the last corner stable 300Mbit possible.

The walls are 30-45cm fired brick.
solid walls, no american drywall

I have also tested at my home with the R7800 and the QCA9984 card.
I had ~700Mbit through 3 walls (from the living room to the bathroom).

Normally, if the installation site is well chosen, it can easily supply more than one room.
Sponsor
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: