[Solved] NetGear R7800 flash and firmware file

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
david6618
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 23:40    Post subject: [Solved] NetGear R7800 flash and firmware file Reply with quote
I bought a used Netgear R7800 and been reading R7800 install guide https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614

I will flash with Kong ( R7800-factory-to-ddwrt-40270.img ) afterward, do I need to use the newest build 06-05-2021-r46885? or can I use the "My favorite builds" page 5 in the R7800 install guide?

How often do I need to update the firmware?

Thanks,

Last edited by david6618 on Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:11; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 0:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't know how updated the favorite builds notes are on the installation guide; it is usually recommended to flash a recent build, though. I would do the initial flash from the guide and then the webupgrade to 46885 and configure accordingly. I personally try to flash only specific builds based on development commits; others flash each new release. It is best to follow development and the new release forum threads. One caveat to installation is you may run into the bad blocks issue trying to intall DD-WRT to your R7800, which may cause the installation to fail.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
david6618
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I don't know how updated the favorite builds notes are on the installation guide; it is usually recommended to flash a recent build, though. I would do the initial flash from the guide and then the webupgrade to 46885 and configure accordingly. I personally try to flash only specific builds based on development commits; others flash each new release. It is best to follow development and the new release forum threads. One caveat to installation is you may run into the bad blocks issue trying to intall DD-WRT to your R7800, which may cause the installation to fail.

Is it common to run into the bad blocks on R7800? Any workaround or fix if I ran into this issue?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes. Workaround is to flash 44715 (44719) or newer factory-to-ddwrt.img, because I am not sure if the <Kong> factory-to-ddwrt.img includes it (40270M). I had no issue flashing the <Kong> firmware on mine, but I do not know if there were any bad blocks, to be quite honest. You could probably just go ahead and flash 46885 factory-to-ddwrt.img and be fine.

----------------------
david6618
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Yes. Workaround is to flash 44715 (44719) or newer factory-to-ddwrt.img, because I am not sure if the <Kong> factory-to-ddwrt.img includes it (40270M). I had no issue flashing the <Kong> firmware on mine, but I do not know if there were any bad blocks, to be quite honest. You could probably just go ahead and flash 46885 factory-to-ddwrt.img and be fine.

Where can I find the stable build? I see only beta in this link https://dd-wrt.com/support/other-downloads/?path=betas%2F2021%2F

Thanks
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
DD-WRT has been in beta since 2008 or so. To be honest, it's a question of what works with your intended use and configuration vs. security patches and features. Newer versions usually have key security patches and updates to included packages (and sometimes quirks that need workarounds) where older versions work as expected with the caveat of the possible security vulnerabilities. It's best to peruse and research the build release threads in the forum. Even the builds on the router database, which are not current, are betas. It's a given, the nature of the beast at present. Constant evolving development.

----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: