[SOLVED] Can't change Local IP Address in basic setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
EscapedArtist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 18:55    Post subject: [SOLVED] Can't change Local IP Address in basic setup Reply with quote
Pretty stupid question here, sorry.

I have a new DDWRT (v3-r46885) installed on a r6700v3 Netgear router. For my own reasons, I need to change the router's subnet.

I am working on a laptop that has WiFi turned off, I plug the laptop's ethernet port into a LAN port on the Netgear router, open a browser to 192.168.1.1 and get the login page for DDWRT. I change the login and start the setup.

I leave all settings untouched, except I change the Basic Setup -> Network Setup -> Local IP Address to anything except its default 192.168.1.1 (I've tried many different IPs all with the same results)

For this last iteration I changed it to 192.168.10.1/24 then I click on apply and then save. I notice first that the Start Address changes correctly to the new subnet, and then I get disconnected in the browser which is expected because I am no longer logged into the correct IP.

Everything to this point is as expected. But now comes the surprise, I change the browser address to 192.168.10.1 and I just get a timeout (This site can't be reached) from the browser. arp -a and ipconfig both remain unchanged from before the settings changes in the ddwrt, reporting the 192.168.1.x numbers.

I've been at this for hours and watched 10 youtube videos make a change like this routinely. They can all access the router via the new IP immediately in the browser. Can anyone suggest what this idiot is doing wrong?
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to reboot your laptop after changing and clear your browser cache.

Preferably do not use Chrome or chromium based browsers.

I use Firefox

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
EscapedArtist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks so much for the quick reply. I had tried rebooting during attempts before, but was not clearing cash nor using firefox. I just made another attempt with the same results using Firefox and clearing cash before attempting to open the new IP.

Both ipconfig and arp -a are still reporting 192.168.1.1 which makes me think the router is not setting the new subnet (regardless of the browser).
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Change settings; save; reboot router. Otherwise, wait 5 minutes and then try the new IP after clicking apply; there's several things that have to restart when you hit apply. And you also have to ensure your laptop is getting the correct IP via dhcp, of course.

Going to move this to Broadcom because Announcement: STOP!-READ FIRST: This area is NOT for router help! READ!.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
EscapedArtist
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
With how much time and frustration I spent on this, I am amazed that it isn't part of every tutorial and every forum post. Is this something that is particular to the Netgear or is this something I should have learned in grade school?

In any case, thank you so much! I don't feel quite so stupid anymore and I can continue on my way!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: