correlation between load averages and "top" comman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 19:31    Post subject: correlation between load averages and "top" comman Reply with quote
I've been troubleshooting slow USB/Samba transfer speeds (~600kB/s), and during an upload to the router the load averages are huge (50+).

but if i run the "top" command in a telnet session all the processes, including anything to do with USB or samba, are all less than 1%.

What kind of a thing generates "load" without actually using significant CPU resources?

thanks...
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
On what router, on what build. Please refer to the forum rules and guidelines about providing as much information as possible so we can help you. And General is NOT the place to post for router help (read the sticky). Once you tell us that info, I will move this topic to where it should go.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
its a Asus RT-N66U running "v3.0-r44483 big (10/02/20)" which is kernel 4.4.238.

I was asking about the load-average display on the GUI and the numbers displayed by "top" in the command line. Are you saying that the functionality of those change from router to router and build to build? I thought they were inherent to linux.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume that was a rhetorical question, since ongoing development never happens in Linux, Busybox, or DD-WRT. Everything is perpetual and never changes. Public source code repos and changes documented are a farce. /sarcasm

I seem to recall an issue with this that was discussed in the forum that has since been fixed, but I am not going to scour the forum searching for the posts or threads... #notmyjob

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Zyxx
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
My N66u on DD-WRT v3.0-r46885 big (06/05/21) shows similar figures in top and webif.

If there was a problem it is solved by now.

Unfortunately I do not watch top very often on this device, since it is only in use for wireguard nowadays.
MuzzleVelocity
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
thanks for the reply Zyxx. I have spent my share of hours scouring the forums over the years, but we all know they are full of outdated and contradictory information. Sometimes its best to just come out and ask a question...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: