Netgear R6250 w/46885 disconnecting IP Camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 15:00    Post subject: Netgear R6250 w/46885 disconnecting IP Camera Reply with quote
So I have two SV3C IP cameras, one is connected to a EA8500, works perfectly. The other, connected on the other side of the house to a Netgear R6250 VAP running the latest firmware.

The camera in question is running a bitrate of 1.5Mb/s at 25FPS and is located about 20 feet from the 6250 VAP. It connects to the 2.4ghz side of it. Every few minutes (5 minutes to 20 minutes) it just drops off, then comes back about a minute or so later. If I take the camera down and get closer to the EA8500 and connect to it, it remains stable and never drops off, so this leads me to believe it's the fault of the 6250.

I have followed the sticky guidelines (Broadcom) for setting up the radios in it. However, I still believe something there may need tweaked to enhance it for video streaming. I am just not sure what setting that might be.

Any ideas, suggestions, comments would be very welcomed.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r53562
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port, multiple VAPs

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r53562

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Member #248
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 16:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
VAP or WAP? These IoT things are quirky. Not sure whose idea it was to use 999 for TX power in the sticky, the wiki recommends Auto:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advanced_wireless_settings#TX_Power

I would also try disabling WMM.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
VAP or WAP?

You know what, while the R6250 is running a VAP, the camera is connected the WAP. My mistake. Thanks for questioning that.
kernel-panic69 wrote:

These IoT things are quirky. Not sure whose idea it was to use 999 for TX power in the sticky, the wiki recommends Auto:

I was wondering the same thing when I was setting this up originally. 999 just seemed like way overkill. I will change that back to Auto.
kernel-panic69 wrote:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Advanced_wireless_settings#TX_Power

I would also try disabling WMM.

Thanks @kernel-panic69 for the tips. I will try these recommendations and report back my results.

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Member #248
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turning off WMM had some really disastrous results. I set the power level to Auto, but turning WMM off caused the problem to intensify greatly. It would connect for only a few seconds, then drop off for several minutes at a time. While it is possible that the camera is flakey, that doesn't explain why it works solidly when connected to the EA8500. I just scored a used Netgear R7800 from Ebay ($74). I will try that out when it arrives and see if my results vary.

Member #248
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, leave WMM on but use Auto Tx power, if you haven't already. There may be a few other tweaks to do from the "recommended" settings, but this could turn into a trial-and-error journey.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: