Please HELP WRT54G and DDRWT connection issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:46    Post subject: Please HELP WRT54G and DDRWT connection issues Reply with quote
Hello I recently bought a used WRT54G V 6 flashed with DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro, the adapter included is higher rated current 12 volt 1250 MA, it does seem to heat up a lot, the issue I'm having is I have the router setup as a repeater to repeat any nearby wifi signals. It works for a while than I can still access the router but there is no Internet, sometimes the primart Acess Point that is entered in Wireless in the router setup, just disappears and I have to put it back, other times, I will get the router saying "password is in correct" when trying to connect to it. I checked to see if there is a update recommnended or something that fixes this but couldn't find anything am I going to have to reflash to a full build to correct this problem or am I pretty much screwed? Thanks for any help
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Power supply cord may be crapping out or the usual capacitors on the circuit board inside the router may require replacement. You could try a 30-30-30 reset and connect to it via wired ethernet cable and upgrade to a more recent build, but if it continues to act flaky, then you need to look into other issues. This router only has 2MB of flash space, so it will *only* take micro builds (dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin).

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G_v5.0_%26_5.1_%26_6.0

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2010/08-12-10-r14929/broadcom/ (Peacock Thread recommendation)

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2017/11-16-2017-r33772/broadcom/ (KRACK fix)

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/06-05-2021-r46885/broadcom/ (Most recent)

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
That explains it, well I'll try your sugggestions and see what happens I guess I can always go with another router if this one is shot. Thanks
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would try to use 'r46640 (May 13th 2021)' or newer as it contains Fragattack fixes (along with a bunch of other stuff since the build your using from the year 2009). I am running r46640 on my WRT54GS v1.1 router. so this should be a good start point for you.

but if the capacitors in your WRT54G v6 are dying... it's a easy enough fix especially if you already got soldering iron/solder as you don't have to be a expert to do it. but at the same time, if you don't have a soldering iron/solder already (I also had one of those vices that stick to the countertop to help hold the routers board in place which made it easier for me to remove and install the new caps) it's probably just better to get a newer router because a person can probably find a decent used router etc for cheap enough (call it around $20-30), or if one does not mind paying a bit more can probably get a new one for a reasonable price (call it around $50). but I can't really give you any recommendations as I am still used to older router tech since my internet line is on the slower side and Wireless G router tech is good enough for it.

TIP: I noticed that when I replaced my capacitors on my WRT54GS v1.1 in Feb 2020 (it's got four capacitors) that putting a little solder on the end of the soldering iron tip area helps quite a bit in removing the old caps as with the solder on the end of the tip pushed up against the capacitor area your trying to remove it helps transfer heat into it much faster and makes removing the old caps much easier vs if the end of the soldering iron is pretty much cleaned off and you try heating up the existing solder holding the current capacitors in place seems to take forever.

Primary Router: Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 /w dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021) ; new Panasonic capacitors Feb 11th 2020 | Backup Router: Linksys WRT54GS v6 /w dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021)
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
I will first try that build you recommended, is there a way to test to see if the caps are dying? I do have a battery operated sodering Iron should get hot enough for the job, I don't mind changing the caps I've done it before on a monitor that had bad caps. I don't want to get another WRT router unless it's much better than the 54G. Thanks for the info I'll let you know what happens.
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
wealthwise wrote:
I will first try that build you recommended, is there a way to test to see if the caps are dying? I do have a battery operated sodering Iron should get hot enough for the job, I don't mind changing the caps I've done it before on a monitor that had bad caps. I don't want to get another WRT router unless it's much better than the 54G. Thanks for the info I'll let you know what happens.

I would imagine just removing the cover so you can look at the board and see if there is any obvious bulging/leaking of the caps going on will probably give you the gist of it and you can see what kind of caps are needed to. I currently have Panasonic 25v 220uF (105c) caps in my GS v1.1 router, which replaced some cheap china generic HERMEI caps (but yours might be different). I still got 6 caps left, which means I can redo the router one more time if needed with a couple spares but since I replaced mine in Feb 2020 ill probably be good at least 10-20 years is my guess. mine takes 4 caps but, off the top of my head, yours might be less, like maybe 2 caps but I am only guessing here. with that said... even if the caps are not bulging/leaking, I suspect it's possible they could be bad as I guess it just depends on whether you think it's worth attempting to replace the caps or not as it's still a pretty cheap fix so even if it fails, your only out minimal $ especially since you said you already got the soldering iron/solder.

but anyways... if the caps are bad I would probably replace those first before attempting any firmware flashing just to be on the safe side. looking at the DD-WRT page apparently you got 2MB flash/8MB RAM on your WRT54G v6, so it's 'micro', which is here... https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/05-13-2021-r46640/broadcom/dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic.bin ; but assuming your routers hardware is in good running order, I suggest holding reset button for 30 seconds then you should be able to flash the router from within the routers configuration page (at least that's how I upgrade my WRT54GS v1.1 in general).

but yeah, nowadays it's not really worth buying a WRT54* type of router (maybe if you can get it for next to nothing) since you can likely get something noticeably better for about the price price. but it does seem like these older routers are pretty reliable which is always a nice bonus for these older routers.

Primary Router: Linksys WRT54GS v1.1 /w dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021) ; new Panasonic capacitors Feb 11th 2020 | Backup Router: Linksys WRT54GS v6 /w dd-wrt.v24_micro_generic (r46640 May 13th 2021)
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I removed the cover and inspected the caps, from what I can see no bulgues or leaks, I took a couple of pics since I'm no expert on this, When I went to unplug the router it seemsed warm but not unusually hot, it's been in the lower 80's here and its sitting in upper video compartment and it gets warm in there. Well I'm assuming at this point it's not the caps as hopefully can be seen in the pics. I just reflashed with DD-WRT v3.0-r46885 micro (06/05/21 so will see if that improves anything. Thanks

IMG-0325.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  393.93 KB
 Viewed:  2603 Time(s)

IMG-0325.JPG

Last edited by wealthwise on Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:38; edited 1 time in total
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Based on that picture I can't see anything wrong as there don't seem to be any obvious leaks and the top of the three caps seems 'flat' like it's supposed to be. so playing the odds, they are probably still in good running order. although I have heard that it's possible for them to look okay on the surface, but still be bad.

but anyways... you already took a shot and upgraded the firmware to the recent one. hopefully that works. just make sure that after the firmware flash is successful and you wait at least the 5min etc, hold the reset button for a full 30 seconds and then reconfigure the router to your liking. don't skip that last reset step as it helps ensure things will run as good as they possibly can and that no weird bugs potentially turn up that should not be there.

p.s. if possible shrink that picture as it takes up a lot of the screen and takes a while for this page to load.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fixed the image size. If you are going to post an image that is wider than 768 pixels, then use an image hosting site and link it; otherwise, please reduce size to no wider than 768 pixels per forum rules and guidelines.

----------------------
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
wealthwise wrote:
So I removed the cover and inspected the caps, from what I can see no bulgues or leaks
I've repaired many routers due to bad caps, and not one of them had a visible failure. Great news, I know. Razz

That said, the newest WRT54* router I've used that -didn't- require new caps was a GSv6, which seems to be of similar vintage as the Gv6. Unfortunately you need an ESR meter to verify; mine has paid for itself many times over, but most aren't like me. Wink

Fwiw, I'm actually currently repairing a sub amp which is one of very few non-router devices I've found that also has failed caps w/o visible failure. I wouldn't have even bothered but turns out its a common issue w/ that model (PSW111).

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
ThaCrip
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
jwh7 wrote:
Unfortunately you need an ESR meter to verify; mine has paid for itself many times over, but most aren't like me. Wink

I was doing a quick look into that ESR meter stuff and it seems like a basic/affordable one might be 'YOSOO GM328' (about $15-20). because from a quick look it appears most of those types of devices are fairly expensive (like $100+ at least) unlike that one.

p.s. I was watching someone use that GM328 on YouTube and it seems easy enough. but it appears one has to make sure the capacitor is empty before using the meter, otherwise it could damage it etc.

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have a Fluke 83V and 87V. No need for an ESR meter. Let's try not to stray too far off-topic, folks Cool

----------------------
jwh7
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
@wealthwise If you wanted to bother, I could sell you some caps cheap, assuming you're in the US. But again, might be better to find something at Goodwill or ebay.

kernel-panic69 wrote:
I have a Fluke 83V and 87V. No need for an ESR meter. Let's try not to stray too far off-topic, folks Cool
ESR meters are definitely on topic for testing bad caps. Smile In-range capacitance is meaningless if the ESR is 10ohms. Of course, just buying and changing a few caps is much cheaper and simpler than buying an ESR meter to test them, if one isn't going to be using it often. Wink

Fwiw, I have a Peak Atlas ESR60 (I think technically upgraded now to an ESR70 by f/w) that was ~$70 15 years ago, but they don't appear to sell it anymore. It auto-discharges and autodetects circuit connections. The company has excellent support too. Now I'm getting off topic... Razz

|FreshTomato: F7D8302@532|OpenWRT: F9K1119v1, RT-ACRH13, R6220, WNDR3700v4
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
The 83V is a $400 industrial-grade meter; it's the cheaper one, lol. There's actually a model that is for HVAC that can be used to test start caps. Anyhow, back towards topic, I got one of my E4200s that could probably stand new caps, one does look suspect. Whenever I get a

----------------------
wealthwise
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
My Appologies for the the ridiculous size image, I resized it as requested, I realized it was difficult to see, I was stressed at the time and didn't get a chance to correct it. That said I'm now running build DD-WRT v3.0-r46885 micro (06/05/21) and aside from a gltich or two, It's installed and working but, I can repeat the router signal but no internet, I can ping the Wrt54g IP number I changed to 192.168.69.1 fine but can't ping 8.8.8.8 any ideas? As for bad caps I'm not ready to jump to that conclusion yet. Thanks
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: