[SOLVED] Poor Internet speed - Netgear R7000 flashed DD-WRT

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
raduoctavian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 16:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi ho1Aetoo,

No, I was/am only connected to the 5Ghz. Cable is out.

Here's the full info.

https://pastebin.com/Wx2eT2K9

https://pastebin.com/47t0kiTs

Radu
Sponsor
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Then I would guess that you have started the client commands on the router and thus measure the loopback.
Of course you have to execute the client commands on the Windows client.
raduoctavian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
Then I would guess that you have started the client commands on the router and thus measure the LoopBack.
Of course you have to execute the client commands on the Windows client.

I have - I mean on one window I had the telnet connection to 192.168.1.1 and the command "iperf3 -s" for it to listen and on another window I ran the other commands from which I pasted the output.

I added the full info in the two pastebin links.

What did I do wrong?

Thanks!
Radu
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quote:
root@NETGEAR7000:~# iperf3 -c 192.168.1.1 -t 60

this is the router you are running this on
You need to install iperf3 on the client

As far as I understand the client is running a Windows operating system?

Then in Windows run / open CMD

change into the unpacked iperf3 directory

cd iperf-3.1.3-win32 (specify the full path)

and execute the commands, but not with iperf3 but with iperf3.exe

Code:
iperf3.exe -c 192.168.1.1 -t 60

iperf3.exe -c 192.168.1.1 -t 60 -P4

iperf3.exe -Rc 192.168.1.1 -t 60

iperf3.exe -Rc 192.168.1.1 -t 60 -P4
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
raduoctavian wrote:
I've bought a Netgear R7000 router and I've flashed it with the latest firmware version available (46854).

Now Internet works but I get super slow Internet. With the Netgear firmware I was getting very good speed on both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

I've been through all the settings but I don't know what to change anymore.

I have a 1000 Mbps Internet connection at home. Yet my two wireless lans seem to be now limited to a rate of 200 Mbit/s and 400 respectively.

and consider your results form dsl reports, you reached your theoretical router CPU maximum...

form the other side...luckily nowadays newer Broadcom builds contain new, acceleration tricks like FA and CTF, along with SFE and with those you can gain more speed out of it...but, some of those interfere with some router services, as well may rise some security concerns in terms of heavily using those....

clients compatibility also plays role...

in other...words stock firmwares has a hardware acceleration or some proprietary tricks, where DDWRT uses software tricks...but is also capable to squeeze some speed of of the box...

for best results and to meet your expectations...you'd need a better, more powerful router...like R9000, XR700, or R7800...

following WiFI guide and some other tricks, you will get some improvement, but its not like a driving a fast sports car...

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 55303 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
raduoctavian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
Quote:
root@NETGEAR7000:~# iperf3 -c 192.168.1.1 -t 60

this is the router you are running this on
You need to install iperf3 on the client

As far as I understand the client is running a Windows operating system?

Then in Windows run / open CMD

change into the unpacked iperf3 directory

cd iperf-3.1.3-win32 (specify the full path)

and execute the commands, but not with iperf3 but with iperf3.exe

Code:
iperf3.exe -c 192.168.1.1 -t 60

iperf3.exe -c 192.168.1.1 -t 60 -P4

iperf3.exe -Rc 192.168.1.1 -t 60

iperf3.exe -Rc 192.168.1.1 -t 60 -P4

Apologies, now I understood.

Here are the new results: https://pastebin.com/E1qFTSLe
raduoctavian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
raduoctavian wrote:
I've bought a Netgear R7000 router and I've flashed it with the latest firmware version available (46854).

Now Internet works but I get super slow Internet. With the Netgear firmware I was getting very good speed on both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

I've been through all the settings but I don't know what to change anymore.

I have a 1000 Mbps Internet connection at home. Yet my two wireless lans seem to be now limited to a rate of 200 Mbit/s and 400 respectively.

and consider your results form dsl reports, you reached your theoretical router CPU maximum...

form the other side...luckily nowadays newer Broadcom builds contain new, acceleration tricks like FA and CTF, along with SFE and with those you can gain more speed out of it...but, some of those interfere with some router services, as well may rise some security concerns in terms of heavily using those....

clients compatibility also plays role...

in other...words stock firmwares has a hardware acceleration or some proprietary tricks, where DDWRT uses software tricks...but is also capable to squeeze some speed of of the box...

for best results and to meet your expectations...you'd need a better, more powerful router...like R9000, XR700, or R7800...

following WiFI guide and some other tricks, you will get some improvement, but its not like a driving a fast sports car...

Hello Alozaros,

So I should not expect the same performance using dd-wrt as I got with the native firmware? Thing is I'm not trying to squeeze more out of it compared to what I got with the native firmware. I'm hoping to get the same. Now with the current configuration I get the same speed via cable. If I can improve the wifi to (almost) match what I get with the native one then I'm happy with it.
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
So according to iperf3, the WLAN is the bottleneck and coincides roughly with speedtest.net measurements, only that here somehow the download performs worse.

Is that the measurement already on channel 52?
The higher channels are in the DFS / radar range, it is possible that the work well or are externally disturbed and from channel 149, the transmission power in Europe is severely limited (short range).
raduoctavian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 17:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
ho1Aetoo wrote:
So according to iperf3, the WLAN is the bottleneck and coincides roughly with speedtest.net measurements, only that here somehow the download performs worse.

Is that the measurement already on channel 52?
The higher channels are in the DFS / radar range, it is possible that the work well or are externally disturbed and from channel 149, the transmission power in Europe is severely limited (short range).

Indeed I am using now the 52nd channel.

What else should I change?

Just as Info - I am now again trying to switch the advanced wlan settings as instructed in the Best Wi-fi Wiki guidelines as I did with the previous beta firmware and see what results change.

So far I'm geting 400 Mbps on wifi 5Ghz.

Cheers,
Radu
raduoctavian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ups, nevermind. I gotta change it back. It dropped from 400Mbps to 260 Mbps. That's not it..
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, difficult topic, the broadcom drivers are first as they are = closed source (not a good basis for opensource).
And the stock firmware is already very optimized for throughput, but is partly based on old software.
On the other hand, throughput is not everything, latency and stability are just as important.

Apart from that, your results are not bad, as I said.
and results are always client-dependent and depend on spatial conditions.

What you can see from the Iperf test is that the client benefits quite well from parallelization (you could also test with -P 8 ).

Otherwise, as I said, just under 400Mbit download is good, you do not need more for WLAN, 50Mbit are e.g. loose enough for 4k streaming, important is as I said rather the latency and stability.

So that e.g. web pages open quickly, latency is important (not throughput), the contents have mostly only a few kilobytes or a few megabytes that are loaded with 400Mbit in no time, while a bad latency quickly adds up to seconds

and let's be honest 100Mbit cable is also enough for pretty much everything

as I said also try the channels (for me it makes a difference whether I use e.g. 36 or 116)

but i'm going to lock out for now, celebrate the rest of sunday

Last edited by ho1Aetoo on Sun Jun 06, 2021 19:30; edited 1 time in total
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
well, its almost impossible to get the same results, on WiFi and wire....as one of those is actively using an encryption, as well it depends form the clients...
Some clients can do better, than others, with stock and with 3rd party firmwares...

To be precise, you are a bit on a goose chaise, but lets see where you gonna get..
Do in mind i have the same router....too... Laughing

No idea, if ho1Aetoo has R7000 at home and what he knows about Netgear R7000 and Broadcom propriety WiFi drivers and their compatibility...among the other clients...Rolling Eyes

To be honest, its a good unit, but as i said, 1Gig, its a bit over its capabilities...especially over WiFi Rolling Eyes just my 2 cents... Laughing

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -DD-WRT 55303 Gateway/DoT,Forced DNS,Ad-Block,Firewall,x4VLAN,VPN
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
ho1Aetoo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
i don't have a broadcom router at the moment, i already wrote that i can't make any direct comparisons because of that

but the fact is that you can get a few more Mbit out of vht80 2x2...

although this is also relative, for normal surfing and video streaming you don't need 1000Mbit anyway.
raduoctavian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello again,

And again - thanks for your efforts and time spent on this matter of mine.

@ho1Aetoo - Indeed switching through the channels has a great impact on the wlan performance yet so far channel 52 is the one to go by. The others I've tried so far decrease in speed. I still have others to test.

I know it's late so indeed do enjoy the rest of the Sunday Smile

@Alozaros - apologies if I wasn't clear earlier - I meant I compared wire-to-wire native vs. dd-wrt firmware and respectively wlan-to-wlan native vs. dd-wrt firmware.

It's not that I can't work and go by with the current configuration I have but I do want to optimize (and learn along the way) as much as I can. So as ho1Aetoo said I don't mind loosing some throughput if I gain some better latency and stability, but then again I don't wanna lose 200+ Mbps as it would mean dd-wrt is rather limited and I'm learning it's everything but that.

As I said I don't expect it to do miracles but I do aim to have aprox. the same results I had on the native firmware. I already do have the same performance over cable (native vs. dd-wrt) so I'm guessing I'm not that far off for get the wlan properly set up as it should be.

Which brings me of course to: if you have any additional advice I'm all ears Smile

I'm still not sure why I don't see the FA ('cause the CTF worked wonders) option or if I may have to change some other settings.. somewhere lies the answer to getting the wlan back to around 600-650 Mbps as before.

Thanks again for everything so far!
Radu
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
"to getting the wlan back to around 600-650 Mbps as before..."

i presume talking for 5Ghz, as to reach such a speed over 2,4Ghz its a miracle...or very compatible/capable 3x3 client..

yep learning as you go, when you should ve start with learning reading testing at the first place... Razz ...
Forum has a good search/answers/base, same as google...
nothing better than devoted time diggin...or testing...

As everyone here said, stock vs DDWRT is a trade of, futures and fine bias.... to achieve the same results, almost impossible...at the end of the day loosing 200Mbit i would've sell my kidney and get a better router with more power, to utilize that speed... or just get on with it...
Looking at your results, @dslspeed, great A, A+ so, nothing to bother with or latency...just the old R7000 needs a boost shot by SFE or CTF to run a bit faster, but CPU takes a big toll on that...and you need CPU for WiFi so its a trade of...and R7000 is running almost at max capabilities...

Try WiFI country domain Canada or Haiti...short preamble, short slot override short, ack time 3150, frag threshold 980, RTS Threshold 980, you could also try frame burst if only 1 or 2 wi-fi clients are around, but if no improvement is shown, its a settings that could slow down the WiFi...

Sadly back in the days i decided not to use my WiFi on my R7000 any more, as i was facing client incompatibility quite often... since than i use mostly R7800 WiFi witch is much better...Qulcom-Atheros..
Check those 5ghz channels witch will be best for you, do in mind 5Ghz is weaker than 2,4Ghz as a penetration value and range...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE

Last edited by Alozaros on Sun Jun 06, 2021 21:42; edited 1 time in total
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: