frequent Ping timeouts

ManoharOfficial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:14    Post subject: frequent Ping timeouts Reply with quote
I have used a tplink router as client bridge (routed) and now it just has very frequent ping timeouts and very slow response times. After a while it just says destination host unreachable. I am able to ping both my local routers but no internet connection. what Should I do? I have included the setting and ping screenshot.

TIA

Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the signal strength?

What other debugging have you done... Assuming tracerts show losses at same location?

Do you have any symptoms from other machines/routers or is it only this tplink router
ManoharOfficial
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wildlion wrote:
What is the signal strength?

Quote:
What other debugging have you done... Assuming tracerts show losses at same location?

I have tried manually setting dhcp. Didn't work. Tried some solutions from google(too many to remember) but didn't work. I don't know what tracerts are :\

Quote:
Do you have any symptoms from other machines/routers or is it only this tplink router

Every other connected device is fine. Just this TPlink router has these issues.
PS : here's my setup
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well the signal strength is good, (I guess I was hoping it was something simple such as wireless interference)

If you are on a windows machine instead of ping use tracert command. It is a ping, but instead the ttl values are changed to show the response to each step along the way, so effectively you are pinging each device between yours and the end destination. The reason I thought you could try this is to see if there is a consistent location that causes the loss... Some locations will not respond to pings so it is not perfect.

On your picture it says DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/22/14) std -build 25697, (if that is true I suggest to update), but the screenshots you have provided show a new version.

I am assuming that you set this up based on (and it looks true):
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

What happens if you ping the R7000 continuously? Do you get any dropouts?

The other thought I have is on the Router IP (on the TL-WR841ND) under Setup->Basic Setup, to be:

Local IP Address 192.168.69.1/24
Gateway 0.0.0.0
Local DNS 0.0.0.0

The main aspect is to change the router Local IP address to be something on a different subnet than the R7000, so for instance if the R7000 is 192.168.X.1/24, then the Local IP Address of the TPLink should be 192.168.Y.1/24 where X does not equal Y
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 6:10    Post subject: Re: frequent Ping timeouts Reply with quote
ManoharOfficial wrote:
I have used a tplink router as client bridge (routed) and now it just has very frequent ping timeouts and very slow response times. After a while it just says destination host unreachable. I am able to ping both my local routers but no internet connection.

There is some stuff missing here could you supply:

1) is the tplink router running dd-wrt (I'm assuming it is)
2) What is it acting as a client bridge to? I am assuming a wireless router or access point. What is the make and model of that device and is it also running dd-wrt?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
The TP-Link is running a newer version of DD-WRT, it is client bridged to a R7000 Netgear running stock firmware. That profile button sure does help with random interjections.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329115

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: