Linksys WRT1200ACv2 can't secure Wifi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tried flashing factory firmware to DD-WRT. Same problem.

What I'd like to try next is getting dummy settings from someone with a WRT1200v2. Can someone send me a known working dummy settings file? (something with passwords you don't mind being posted to the forum) I might be able to solve this by flashing a good settings file with its associated firmware.

Can we assume the WRT1200ACv2 has not been working for a while for anyone? Is this a just me problem?
Sponsor
routvol
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
JediMaster666 wrote:
I just tried flashing factory firmware to DD-WRT. Same problem.

What I'd like to try next is getting dummy settings from someone with a WRT1200v2. Can someone send me a known working dummy settings file? (something with passwords you don't mind being posted to the forum) I might be able to solve this by flashing a good settings file with its associated firmware.

Can we assume the WRT1200ACv2 has not been working for a while for anyone? Is this a just me problem?

I actually have troubles with ac1200v2 since a couple of months with wifi.
I did not find a suitable configuration yet.

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
routvol wrote:
I actually have troubles with ac1200v2 since a couple of months with wifi.
I did not find a suitable configuration yet.

My most recent working firmware is 36247. What version are you using?
Justanotherbrokenrouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
JediMaster666 wrote:
I don't think this is a device specific issue.

Assuming your router wifi hardware is working I can only suggest one other thing. Since I'm also assuming that wifi worked on 36247 than there may be an issue from jumping from such an old version to the newest version. You could try a stepped update by updating/reverting to 46069 first (which seems to work well for most). After reverting test the wifi. I doubt Apple devices will connect but if other devices do than you might then try updating to the latest version and testing again.

With so many changes since 36247 it may help to do the stepped update to acquire the firmware changes that newer updates may expect to already exist. The older the version updated from the more likely that issues might occur. If doing a stepped update does not help then I have nothing else but other community members may have suggestions.

You probably have but make sure your browser apps are disabled on you router site. Give it time to fully update. When the update progress bar with the continue button appears DO NOT mash the button just wait until the GUI pops up. If the GUI does not pop up hit "retry" or shut the browser down and reopen the GUI. I cannot get a uncorrupted update with Firefox. I can with Brave with all apps disabled on the router site. Others have problems with Brave/Chrome so the default recommended is Waterfox Classic with no apps. https://www.waterfox.net/download/

If after the update there seems to be issues do a manual reboot from the Admin tab and recheck the functionality. Good luck, hope you get wifi up.

Monza, I think your on to something. I tried this strategy flashing r46816, and I think its the key to my corruption problems with the new builds. I will try this again to flash the next build, and see if I get the same outcome. Firefox is what I use Firefox without any add-ons enabled, and have always. Below I think was the key with Firefox flash.

After starting flash I seen the update progress bar come up. I didn't touch anything else. I did not press ok on the message, or anything. Waited 12 minutes to make sure it had time to flash, and pulled up new tab. Well I think after opening new tab I closed the old tab that I flashed from, but not 100% sure. Logged into router, and configured. The build has been great. 4 days plus. Others may need to try this if they are having flash problems to with any browser. Before I would always follow the messages from browser for the flash.
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Justanotherbrokenrouter wrote:
Monza, I think your on to something. I tried this strategy flashing r46816, and I think its the key to my corruption problems with the new builds. I will try this again to flash the next build, and see if I get the same outcome. Firefox is what I use Firefox without any add-ons enabled, and have always. Below I think was the key with Firefox flash.

After starting flash I seen the update progress bar come up. I didn't touch anything else. I did not press ok on the message, or anything. Waited 12 minutes to make sure it had time to flash, and pulled up new tab. Well I think after opening new tab I closed the old tab that I flashed from, but not 100% sure. Logged into router, and configured. The build has been great. 4 days plus. Others may need to try this if they are having flash problems to with any browser. Before I would always follow the messages from browser for the flash.

I have no problems flashing. I do usr Firefox. I tried upgrading through all the stable releases and that didn't work. I tried reverting to factory settings and then flashing the newest stable firmware. That didn't work, either. I'm still hoping someone with a working WRT1200ACv2 can upload a dummy settings file so I can flash the firmware associated with the settings then the settings themselves.
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Justanotherbrokenrouter wrote:
The build has been great. 4 days plus.

Good to hear. Successful update always puts a smile on my face as well. Like having the latest security fixes so I gamble on the new releases often. =)
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
Good to hear. Successful update always puts a smile on my face as well. Like having the latest security fixes so I gamble on the new releases often. =)

Do either of you have working WRT1200ACv2 dummy settings files I can use?
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
JediMaster666 wrote:

Do either of you have working WRT1200ACv2 dummy settings files I can use?

Both of my 1200's are v1's, sorry
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
Both of my 1200's are v1's, sorry

I think the problem I'm having is v2 only. That's why every suggestion that's been mentioned I've already tried and it hasn't worked.
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 16:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
JediMaster666 wrote:
I've already tried and it hasn't worked.

My last suggestion that will probably not fix your problem. =)

Try rebooting both your modem and router at the same time. I reboot my modem about once a month especially if I've done a lot of router firmware updates. If you have rebooted your modem recently just ignore this suggestion. =)

I don't believe this is your problem since you do have internet connection but I will suggest it as a last ditch effort for a solution. It's something I've used when an update causes me to lose my internet connect completely but GUI functions seem to work perfectly. I would spend lots of time trying to reconfigure my router, disable functions etc with no success blaming the update as the villain. I have NOT found it to fix wifi connections when that is the only problem.

I had, until recently, Zoom DOCSIS 3.0 modems (new in 2012-13??) that would sometimes be affected by an update. I would lose internet connection with the new update and regain it when I reverted back to the previous release. Or I would lose certain functionality (VPN no longer connects but everything else works) after an update. I would often regain functionality simply by rebooting both modem and router.

Rebooting both the modems and router apparently would allow the devices to renegotiate their connection and then start working as expected after recognizing the router new firmware vs the previous. I also had to reboot the modem when I switch routers with the exact same router model/config. The Zoom modems would not allow a connection until reboot. They seemed to see each router as having a specific ID and would not connect until the reboot and recognition of the new ID.

This happened usually when going from stock Linksys firmware to DD-WRT firmware or when going from a much, much older DD-WRT release to a new release. I think it's modem brand/model specific and NOT exhibited by all modems. Rebooting has become my "If all else fails . . reboot both"

Over the years I've been a hero a few times for my friends, neighbors and family just by rebooting their modems/router. More often it's not the problem/fix but simply something to try when all else fails.
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
Try rebooting both your modem and router at the same time.

This would only work if the wired connection went as well. The wired connection never goes out.
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tried flashing from the command line. No luck. All signs point to something seriously afoul with the v2 firmware. Especially since no one can verify v2 works for anyone else.
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
It's been over a week and I have not heard from anyone. It's safe to assume WRT1200ACv2 is broken for everyone. How can I help to get it fixed?
dale_gribble39
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please post screenshots of your wireless settings after you've flashed the current release (48289) and done a hard reset
(nvram erase && reboot) and re-configured manually. Re-raising a ruckus without showing proof doesn't help us help you.

And miles to go before I sleep." - Robert Frost

"I am one of the noticeable ones - notice me" - Dale Frances McKenzie Bozzio

<fact>code knows no gender</fact>

This is me, knowing I've ruffled your feathers, and not giving a ****
Some people are still hard-headed.

--------------------------------------
Mac Pro (Mid 2012) - Two 2.4GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5645 processors 64GB 1333MHz DDR3 ECC SDRAM OpenSUSE Leap 15.5
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
dale_gribble39 wrote:
Re-raising a ruckus without showing proof doesn't help us help you.

I was going to continue to use old firmware until a fix was implemented. I was asking about something else when someone needed to know why I was on old firmware. I only mentioned this problem because a solution to my new ISP problem required newer firmware. If someone is finally ready to address this, let's do it.

dale_gribble39 wrote:
Please post screenshots of your wireless settings after you've flashed the current release (48289) and done a hard reset
(nvram erase && reboot) and re-configured manually.

I can confirm that 2.4ghz devices don't work with these settings on the newest firmware even before the mac filtering problem:
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: