Linksys WRT1200ACv2 can't secure Wifi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 6:38    Post subject: Linksys WRT1200ACv2 can't secure Wifi Reply with quote
As stated in the topic, I have a Linksys WRT1200ACv2. When I try to secure the wifi (WPA/mac filtering) The wireless network stops working. Ethernet is unaffected. I'm currently using 36247 and it's working fine. I tried to upgrade to 44715, I couldn't set up WPA options. When I tried to use 46788 I couldn't set up mac filtering. I'm relatively good with these sorts of things so I can probably do anything you ask to try and figure out what's going on.
Sponsor
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
These wireless security settings work best for me for both radios on my 1200's. Press Save/Apply before moving to another tab i.e Wireless Security tab to the MAC Filter tab. After multiple changes a reboot may help but not usually necessary if save/apply it done on each tab.

Security Mode - WPA

Network Authentication
WPA2 Personal - enabled with all others Disabled

WPA Algorithms
CCMP-128 (AES) - Enabled, TKIP - Disabled

802.11r (FT) support - Disable
802.11w Management Frame Protection - Disabled
Disable EAPOL Key Retries - Disabled
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
These wireless security settings work best for me for both radios on my 1200's. Press Save/Apply before moving to another tab i.e Wireless Security tab to the MAC Filter tab. After multiple changes a reboot may help but not usually necessary if save/apply it done on each tab.

Security Mode - WPA

Network Authentication
WPA2 Personal - enabled with all others Disabled

WPA Algorithms
CCMP-128 (AES) - Enabled, TKIP - Disabled

802.11r (FT) support - Disable
802.11w Management Frame Protection - Disabled
Disable EAPOL Key Retries - Disabled

I'm already doing all of that.
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
JediMaster666 wrote:

If I understand correctly, wi-fi works with no issues UNTIL you try to enable MAC Filtering. With MAC filtering disabled wi-fi works with the above security settings.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
And if so, turn off MAC address randomization on your wireless devices, or don't use MAC filtering.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
JediMaster666 wrote:

If I understand correctly, wi-fi works with no issues UNTIL you try to enable MAC Filtering. With MAC filtering disabled wi-fi works with the above security settings.

It depends on the firmware. All firmware works without security but different firmware fails on different settings.
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 19:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
And if so, turn off MAC address randomization on your wireless devices, or don't use MAC filtering.

I've already set up my devices not to randomize their MAC addresses. All security options work fine on the older firmware.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
And we have no screenshots, no logs, nothing but, "it doesn't work".
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
And we have no screenshots, no logs, nothing but, "it doesn't work".

The symptom that's most important is that my devices cannot connect. No screenshot of that is going to be helpful. The status page says everything is working fine but it obviously isn't.

What screenshots do you want?

What logs would you like and where do I find them?
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have no Apple devices so I can't comment on those other than it appears the last MacOS firmware updates seems to cause wifi connection problems due to MAC randomization. Should be lots of topics concerning Apple connection problems on the forum under "New Build" topics. My niece's Mac (OS Big Sur 11.2.3) connected to my wifi for 8+ hours but I think the problems are with a version 14.x.x ????

Since you're updating from an older version you may have trouble with other devices. Our Amazon tablets would not connect after an update (after the 36247 version). The fix was to "Forget" my network and reconnect to it. Connected instantly after that and have done so ever since.

My Sony BR devices would not connect or hold a connection after another update. The fix was to forget my network and do a manual wifi connection where I turned OFF the IPv6. I have IPv6 disabled on my router so the new update seemed to cause the Sony devices to start a constant attempt to connect via IPv6 which killed the wifi connection. After disabling the IPv6 on the Sony wifi manual connection setup all problems were fixed.

You may be able to fix some non-Apple device connection problems created by the firmware jump from 36247 to the current version by forgetting/reconnecting the wifi devices.

The Apple device problem is ongoing at present it seems. Look for Apple connection problems on the forum. Other Apple device users may chime in as well. I have no other suggestions, sorry.
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 21:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
I have no Apple devices so I can't comment on those other than it appears the last MacOS firmware updates seems to cause wifi connection problems due to MAC randomization. Should be lots of topics concerning Apple connection problems on the forum under "New Build" topics. My niece's Mac (OS Big Sur 11.2.3) connected to my wifi for 8+ hours but I think the problems are with a version 14.x.x ????

Since you're updating from an older version you may have trouble with other devices. Our Amazon tablets would not connect after an update (after the 36247 version). The fix was to "Forget" my network and reconnect to it. Connected instantly after that and have done so ever since.

My Sony BR devices would not connect or hold a connection after another update. The fix was to forget my network and do a manual wifi connection where I turned OFF the IPv6. I have IPv6 disabled on my router so the new update seemed to cause the Sony devices to start a constant attempt to connect via IPv6 which killed the wifi connection. After disabling the IPv6 on the Sony wifi manual connection setup all problems were fixed.

You may be able to fix some non-Apple device connection problems created by the firmware jump from 36247 to the current version by forgetting/reconnecting the wifi devices.

The Apple device problem is ongoing at present it seems. Look for Apple connection problems on the forum. Other Apple device users may chime in as well. I have no other suggestions, sorry.

I tried forgetting the network. Wifi does not go down for just one device. It goes down for everything. (4 5ghz, 2 2.4ghz) I don't think this is a device specific issue.
Monza
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
JediMaster666 wrote:
I don't think this is a device specific issue.

Assuming your router wifi hardware is working I can only suggest one other thing. Since I'm also assuming that wifi worked on 36247 than there may be an issue from jumping from such an old version to the newest version. You could try a stepped update by updating/reverting to 46069 first (which seems to work well for most). After reverting test the wifi. I doubt Apple devices will connect but if other devices do than you might then try updating to the latest version and testing again.

With so many changes since 36247 it may help to do the stepped update to acquire the firmware changes that newer updates may expect to already exist. The older the version updated from the more likely that issues might occur. If doing a stepped update does not help then I have nothing else but other community members may have suggestions.

You probably have but make sure your browser apps are disabled on you router site. Give it time to fully update. When the update progress bar with the continue button appears DO NOT mash the button just wait until the GUI pops up. If the GUI does not pop up hit "retry" or shut the browser down and reopen the GUI. I cannot get a uncorrupted update with Firefox. I can with Brave with all apps disabled on the router site. Others have problems with Brave/Chrome so the default recommended is Waterfox Classic with no apps. https://www.waterfox.net/download/

If after the update there seems to be issues do a manual reboot from the Admin tab and recheck the functionality. Good luck, hope you get wifi up.
JediMaster666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Monza wrote:
JediMaster666 wrote:
I don't think this is a device specific issue.

Assuming your router wifi hardware is working I can only suggest one other thing. Since I'm also assuming that wifi worked on 36247 than there may be an issue from jumping from such an old version to the newest version. You could try a stepped update by updating/reverting to 46069 first (which seems to work well for most). After reverting test the wifi. I doubt Apple devices will connect but if other devices do than you might then try updating to the latest version and testing again.

With so many changes since 36247 it may help to do the stepped update to acquire the firmware changes that newer updates may expect to already exist. The older the version updated from the more likely that issues might occur. If doing a stepped update does not help then I have nothing else but other community members may have suggestions.

You probably have but make sure your browser apps are disabled on you router site. Give it time to fully update. When the update progress bar with the continue button appears DO NOT mash the button just wait until the GUI pops up. If the GUI does not pop up hit "retry" or shut the browser down and reopen the GUI. I cannot get a uncorrupted update with Firefox. I can with Brave with all apps disabled on the router site. Others have problems with Brave/Chrome so the default recommended is Waterfox Classic with no apps. https://www.waterfox.net/download/

If after the update there seems to be issues do a manual reboot from the Admin tab and recheck the functionality. Good luck, hope you get wifi up.

I've been having this problem for a while. I just moved and accidentally locked myself out of the router while messing with the settings. Since I had to redo all the settings from scratch, I decided to try and update. The method you suggested is exactly what I tried. Thanks for your help. At least I know I tried plenty of obvious fixes.
bytebandit01
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
just to double check, which do you have between the two?

Prevent clients listed from accessing the wireless network
Permit only clients listed to access the wireless network

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
bytebandit01 wrote:
just to double check, which do you have between the two?

Prevent clients listed from accessing the wireless network
Permit only clients listed to access the wireless network

Permit only
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: