Router reboots when I try to access GUI (Linksys E1200v2)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:38    Post subject: Router reboots when I try to access GUI (Linksys E1200v2) Reply with quote
Hello,

I was running DD-WRT v35531 on my E1200v2.

I flashed "dd-wrt.v24-46690_NEWD-2_K3.x_mega-nv64k.bin" on it via the web GUI and ticked the choose the reset to defaults options.

However, once it started, whenever I try to access the web interface (192.168.1.1), the router instantly reboots.

Tried both over WiFi and Wired. I am not even able to telnet into the router.

Even tried doing a 30-30-30 reset.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by lolcocks on Thu May 20, 2021 10:12; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't use the reset to defaults after flash option when upgrading via the webUI. No telling what is going on, and you could've reported this in the build thread (46716) https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329169

Only thing I can suggest is to do a recover from bad flash, possibly to 46690. I haven't tried flashing this build to my E4200v1 yet, and probably won't until you report that it was just a bad flash.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
You don't use the reset to defaults after flash option when upgrading via the webUI. No telling what is going on, and you could've reported this in the build thread (46716) https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329169

Only thing I can suggest is to do a recover from bad flash, possibly to 46690. I haven't tried flashing this build to my E4200v1 yet, and probably won't until you report that it was just a bad flash.

Oops. My apologies. I messed up the version number. I flashed Build 46690 (corrected it in the first post). I got the file name from the latest build right when 46716 showed up between the time I flashed the firmware and made the post.

As suggested, I made my post in the "46690" thread.

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329126

In this thread Dr_K states that I should let it reset to default everytime
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1148265

How do I recover from this bad flash?

Solder and USB to TTL?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_bad_flash

Worst case is serial recovery

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery

But I think you should be okay with the first option.

----------------------
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Recover_from_a_bad_flash

Worst case is serial recovery

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery

But I think you should be okay with the first option.

Thanks!

Tried doing the first option using DrayTek's Firmware Upgrade Utility, but no firmware is working. I tried the one that was working before (build 35531) and even the latest stock firmware (FW_E1200_2.0.11.001_US_20180910.bin), both exhibited the same issue.

The router starts, but as soon as I connect anything to it, WiFi or Wired, Static or DHCP, it immediately does a reboot.

Luckily, before it reboots, I can send one command to it. I can keep the router pinging, as soon as I connect to it my PC, 1 ping response will show up and then bam! Reboot. After that, I need to power cycle the router, because the LAN ports stop working. WiFi works though, but with the same issue. I connect anything, it reboots.

This is how I am able to use DrayTek's Firmware Upgrade Utility. I click send and then connect the router, the file goes through.

But all firmwares exhibit the same issue.

Is the router dead?

EDIT:
Even with the stock firmware sent via DrayTek's Firmware Upgrade Utility, the network adapter shows as DD-WRT. I am not sure if the firmware is getting through.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I see I have to edit that wiki about recovering from a bad flash, among others, as I just checked. I can't remember if your router has management mode, but that is the first thing to try:

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=140001

Then the Linksys TFTP utility:

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=137928

----------------------
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I see I have to edit that wiki about recovering from a bad flash, among others, as I just checked. I can't remember if your router has management mode, but that is the first thing to try:

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=140001

Then the Linksys TFTP utility:

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=137928

Hello,

Thank you so much for your response. Sorry about the late response, it's been a busy week.

I was unable to use the official method to get to the Management Mode, because, if I held the reset button, my router would reboot followed by another reboot in 5 seconds, hindering the whole cycle.

If anyone has the same issue, to get to the Management Mode (atleast on my E1200v2), I plugged in the power cord and exactly one second after, I held the reset button until DHCP assigned me an IP address. After that I let it go and was able to access the Management Mode on 192.168.1.1.

Sadly, after dropping the official firmware in Management Mode, nothing happens. The firmware uploads (I can see network activity in the task manager) and after that, nothing, the page keeps loading as if the file is being uploaded, indefinitely.

Tried via TFTP as well (when in Management Mode), same issue.

If I reboot the router, it still exhibits the same issue.

I am guessing the firmware is not going through using any method.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Only one other option: Serial recovery.

----------------------
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

Looks like it. I guess this is an opportunity to learn something new.

Thank you for all your help. I will report back on how it goes.
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
try uploading the official firmware again but use a different web browser like the original IE, or firefox or chrome or whatever. If you have an xp system around try ie on that.
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

tedm wrote:
try uploading the official firmware again but use a different web browser like the original IE, or firefox or chrome or whatever. If you have an xp system around try ie on that.

Hello,

Quick update.

I said the following:

Quote:
Sadly, after dropping the official firmware in Management Mode, nothing happens. The firmware uploads (I can see network activity in the task manager) and after that, nothing, the page keeps loading as if the file is being uploaded, indefinitely.

I did the same again, except this time, I tried the "19519 K2.6 mini e1200v2" firmware which is to be used when going from stock to DD-WRT.

The page got stuck again, but I left it overnight. And in the morning, the page had completed loading and was asking the username and password for DD-WRT login. I put in root and admin, it worked. I thought everything would be working, but a reboot and I got the same issue again, the one from the first post.

So I again did the same process of Management Mode and flashing "19519 K2.6 mini e1200v2", but this time, right after I got into DD-WRT, I flashed "FW_E1200_2.0.11.001_US_20180910.bin", the stock firmware along with "Reset to defaults" and it worked. I can reboot without any issues and everything works fine.

Right now, this is a backup router, so I am not sure if I will go back to DD-WRT or not. Maybe if any of the DD-WRT features are necessary, I will.

Thank you for your help @kernel-panic69 and @tedm.
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think your power adapter is dying. I have seen similar symptoms on my test routers when that happens. The CPU will still work when the voltage falls to the border level but it will get slow, and other oddities. It can be hard to catch. Another issue is when the power adapter starts dying they can start supplying DC power with a high ripple in it. So a volt meter will show everything perfectly fine but if you had an oscilloscope it would show.

Those wall warts are utter garbage, they are slapped together a million miles a second with the cheapest components possible.
lolcocks
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 14:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
tedm wrote:
I think your power adapter is dying. I have seen similar symptoms on my test routers when that happens. The CPU will still work when the voltage falls to the border level but it will get slow, and other oddities. It can be hard to catch. Another issue is when the power adapter starts dying they can start supplying DC power with a high ripple in it. So a volt meter will show everything perfectly fine but if you had an oscilloscope it would show.

Those wall warts are utter garbage, they are slapped together a million miles a second with the cheapest components possible.

I thought the same, but I did try two other 5 volt peer adapters I had and the router exhibited the same issue with both of them while the router they were originally for worked fine.
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
That would explain it, that router takes a 12v adapter.

Note:
https://deviwiki.com/wiki/Linksys_E1200_v2

"The power adapter included with the device is a HON-KWANG HK-Q106-A12 (12V, 0.5A)."

Very few routers take a 5v adapter.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Get a 12V 2.5A adapter and check the on-board caps for signs of leaking. You may have to replace all the capacitors on the SoC board.

----------------------
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: