R7000 Firmware invalid..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
seanmichael
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:59    Post subject: R7000 Firmware invalid.. Reply with quote
So I had XWRT on my R7000. I meant to flash the latest firmware and I accidentally flashed the firmware for the EA6900. It soft bricked my router. My internet was fully functional but the power and internet lights on the router were a light pinkish color and I was unable to log in to 192.168.1.1. I was able to use Windows TFTP and flash back to R7000 stock firmware V1.0.3.80_1.1.38. But now I am trying to flash back to xwrt but no matter what firmware I try to use, it says invalid firmware. I've tried XWRT and Netgear. Nothing has worked. I made a CFE_R7000.bin file a while back but I am not sure if that will do me any good?

What can I do here???
Sponsor
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure why your posting on here? why not post on the relevant XWRT FW forum?
Seems to me you'll need to force it with
Code:
-noheader : flash1.trx
via Serial ttl cable.
again that firmware corrupts another router normally you need only restore the CFE if coming from that fw > stock > DD-WRT and your settings config don't save, but it may help in your case i don't know.

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
seanmichael
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
foz111 wrote:
Not sure why your posting on here? why not post on the relevant XWRT FW forum?
Seems to me you'll need to force it with
Code:
-noheader : flash1.trx
via Serial ttl cable.
again that firmware corrupts another router normally you need only restore the CFE if coming from that fw > stock > DD-WRT and your settings config don't save, but it may help in your case i don't know.

Sorry.... I dont see a XWRT forum.

Okay I'll look into that.
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
In case if your cfe is screwed..as it usually happens form another 3rd party firmware...
yep if CFE was made while on stock or DDWRT, than upload it, and flash either with stock or DDWRT...
otherwise serial is the last resort..

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913
seanmichael
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alozaros wrote:
In case if your cfe is screwed..as it usually happens form another 3rd party firmware...
yep if CFE was made while on stock or DDWRT, than upload it, and flash either with stock or DDWRT...
otherwise serial is the last resort..

Okay thanks... I made the CFE myself back before I flashed to XWRT. Can you point me in the right direction on how to restore the CFE?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 16:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure if you have your original CFE or not:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=169109&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/bootloader-collection-project.75258/

The process is the same as when you flashed a modified CFE when you flashed XWRT-Vortex...

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 16:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=314755&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
seanmichael
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 0:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Not sure if you have your original CFE or not:

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=169109&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

https://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/bootloader-collection-project.75258/

The process is the same as when you flashed a modified CFE when you flashed XWRT-Vortex...

I do have the original CFE but it's a .bin file. The way I flashed from from Netgear firmware to XWRT the first time it was a chk not a .bin
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
@Alozaros: I didn't think about that thread of the linked thread with the stock cfe.bin file. Thanks.

Now, the question is, can this be done via CFE over serial since the firmware is pooched? I don't know, but I am thinking likely not, but you can try. Only other option is to see if you can serial flash a proper factory-to-ddwrt.chk file to the router and then telnet in and do the magic voodoo per @Alozaros' link.

P.S. The cfe is the bootloader, not the firmware...

----------------------
seanmichael
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
@Alozaros: I didn't think about that thread of the linked thread with the stock cfe.bin file. Thanks.

Now, the question is, can this be done via CFE over serial since the firmware is pooched? I don't know, but I am thinking likely not, but you can try. Only other option is to see if you can serial flash a proper factory-to-ddwrt.chk file to the router and then telnet in and do the magic voodoo per @Alozaros' link.

P.S. The cfe is the bootloader, not the firmware...

Gotcha.. I might just say fuck it and get a new R7000. They are like $90 new right now.

One thing that is weird is ever since I was able to flash back to netgear firmware, the MAC address is showing up as 00:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and if I try to change it and just type in the actual real router MAC address, the router wont get an IP so I the internet doesnt work.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume you have telnetenable or whatever it is to get telnet access to the thing going? I'm wondering if with the modified CFE you have the mini cfe webserver option to flash Freshtomato to it and then fix the CFE issue... thinking as we go along here Cool Wink

----------------------
seanmichael
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I presume you have telnetenable or whatever it is to get telnet access to the thing going? I'm wondering if with the modified CFE you have the mini cfe webserver option to flash Freshtomato to it and then fix the CFE issue... thinking as we go along here Cool Wink

R7000 running Netgear firmware doesnt have SSH or telnet capabilities... at least I think it doesnt.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97UV5ikRjN0

https://www.google.com/search?q=enabling+telnet+netgear+r7000+stock+firmware

You were saying?

----------------------
foz111
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Buy a cheap USB to TTL Serial Cable cheap $3 - $5 ish you'll need one again if using 3rd party firmware at some point a lot cheaper than buying a new router.
Instructions are one this forum for connecting it up and commands to run.
i personally think the EA6900 firmware has changed the header so it will not except r7000 firmware and thus you'll need to force the r7000 firmware with the commands i posted above, the CFE may be corrupted but from memory the CFE issue is replaced / flashed due to it not storing your settings when coming from xwrt fw, the two other forum members that have helped above have much better knowledge than myself the CFE may hold the router model information?

Network IPV4 - Isolated Vlan's with IoT Devices. Unifi AC-Pro x 3 AP's, Router Wi-Fi Disabled. OVPN Server With Paid Commercial Wireguard Client's. Gateway Mode, DNSMasq, Static Leases & DHCP, Pi-Hole DNS & Running Unbound.

No one can build you the bridge on which you, and only you, must cross the river of life!
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
yep if mac is corrupted CFE is broken, it happens from xwrt firmware or tomato...
upload the new CFE via ssh or telnet..i also have a CFE for R7000...if needed..

for R7000
You have to use Code:

mtd unlock /dev/mtd0

to unlock your CFE before writing with:

Code:

mtd -f write new-cfe.bin /dev/mtd0
or
mtd write -f /tmp/stock-cfe.bin mtd0

This gives an unlock error, but it writes it anyway

as well you must have serial output and CFE mode...

Qualcomm-Atheros
Broadcom
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: