Does having DD-WRT router as client offloads main router?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
J2varvi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:09    Post subject: Does having DD-WRT router as client offloads main router? Reply with quote
Hello, I did install DD-WRT in my TP-Link TL-WR2543, and I'm happy with the results! It works pretty well as a repeater of my main wireless modem-router.
My question is, would connecting devices to the DD-WRT router (TP-Link TL-WR2543) instead of my main modem-router (Sagemcom F@ST 3890 V3) offload work of the latter? I ask this because I would like to minimize the traffic of the Sagemcom so it's CPU doesn't get overused and it works better for calls, videogames, etc, (not too high latency/ping), while the DD-WRT router is being used for other devices.
Thanks!

EDIT: I created the repeater based in this guide, my DD-WRT router appeas as a single device under the device tre in the Sagemcom, even if I connect devices to the DD-WRT.

https://kalinull.medium.com/how-to-configure-dd-wrt-repeater-mode-for-atheros-based-routers-16e49af987e1

Last edited by J2varvi on Tue May 18, 2021 1:47; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sometimes, I feel like re-introducing the pogo thread.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
J2varvi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I appreciate the fast reply, except you didn't answer anything and just showed me a useless thread saying basic info that everybody knows already.

Let's try again!

"would connecting devices to the DD-WRT router (TP-Link TL-WR2543) instead of my main modem-router (Sagemcom F@ST 3890 V3) offload work of the latter? I ask this because I would like to minimize the traffic of the Sagemcom so it's CPU doesn't get overused and it works better for calls, videogames, etc, (not too high latency/ping), while the DD-WRT router is being used for other devices.
Thanks!"

"I created the repeater based in this guide, my DD-WRT router appeas as a single device under the device tre in the Sagemcom, even if I connect devices to the DD-WRT.

https://kalinull.medium.com/how-to-configure-dd-wrt-repeater-mode-for-atheros-based-routers-16e49af987e1"
eeff11
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
It certainly can offload some burden of the modem's CPU.

But,this calbe modem is Dual Core at 1.5Ghz,512m RAM,so pretty good configruation.

an extra TP-link wr2543 makes little difference regarding offloading modem's cpu.

But you can deploy wr2543 as an AP to extend the modem's wifi.That means wire connect between both lan ports,set wr2543 as an fixed IP address like 192.168.1.2 assming modem is 192.168.1.1,disable wr2543's DHCP server.

Then you'll have good atheros wifi from wr2543 aside from modem wifi with it's BCM4366E.

wr2543 has slow mips24k 400mhz atheros CPU.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Your Sagecom is your gateway. Anything connected to it directly or indirectly is going to load the cpu. "Everyday knowledge".
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: