Cant telnet to bootloader D-Link DIR-300 REV A1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 18:53    Post subject: Cant telnet to bootloader D-Link DIR-300 REV A1 Reply with quote
I cant telnet to the bootloader of my D-Link DIR-300 REV A1. I tried everything, from pressing the reset button 2s after the switch LEDs lit up and connecting, right after pluging in the router and connecting, pressing the reset button for more than 10s before and after the switch LEDs lit up and connecting, without pressing the reset button and connecting, and i have no luck, i always get a Network Error: Connection timed out. error in PuTTY. Im using the attached script to automatically telnet to the router's bootloader. Also, i attach my current ip configs. What am i doing wrong? Ive tried connected to the wan port and the lan port, but no luck.

Also, is there any way to check what are my current redboot settings? Can i modify the boot order within the already booted router to not load linux?
Im trying to go back to the stock fw, but i cant do so if i cannot get to the bootloader
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 4:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
How exactly did you flash DD-WRT to it? I presume you followed the wiki? I don't think you need to be connected to the WAN port, the way the wiki reads, that is only for loading the micro redboot. Not having one of these in hand, I can't advise anything other than what the wiki reads. I presume you also have a serial console connected? Are you also running a dhcp server with 192.168.1.1 as the only IP address in the dhcp pool? I think a major edit is in order for this wiki so it's easier to understand, perhaps...

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/D-Link_DIR300_rev_A

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 6:37    Post subject: Re: Cant telnet to bootloader D-Link DIR-300 REV A1 Reply with quote
fpp wrote:
I cant telnet to the bootloader of my D-Link DIR-300 REV A1.

Try wire a switch in between router and laptop, LAN port on laptop stays up and try to telnet 192.168.1.1 Port 9000 again.

(factory redboot seems to be on telnet 192.168.20.81 9000)
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
How exactly did you flash DD-WRT to it? I presume you followed the wiki?

Yes, i did followed the wiki, and i was succesful in following it, only, as you say, a bit confusing.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I don't think you need to be connected to the WAN port

No, you actually dont have to use the wan port to telnet to the bootloader, but i didnt remembered if when i flashed DD-WRT i used the wan or the lan port to telnet to it.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I presume you also have a serial console connected?

No, i actually dont have a serial console connected. I have half of the hardware needed, i only need a 3.3v level shifter that i dont have, and i think that with an arduino is enough to get a serial connection, isnt it? Only one thing i have to ask, can i use the serial port aviable on my PC's motherboard? I mean, in theory, is just the same as any serial port, isnt it?
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Are you also running a dhcp server with 192.168.1.1 as the only IP address in the dhcp pool?

I actually dont know what that is and how to set it up. Is there any wiki for setting that up? is that related to my computer or is something on the router itself?
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I think a major edit is in order for this wiki so it's easier to understand, perhaps...

You're right, but i dont know if it will be worth it, since this is almost a 15 years old router, and i dont seem to see a lot of people having one of them as a dialy driver, not like me...
servicetech wrote:
Try wire a switch in between router and laptop

sadly, thats not an option for me, i dont have any ethernet switch.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
fpp wrote:
can i use the serial port aviable on my PC's motherboard? I mean, in theory, is just the same as any serial port, isnt it?

No, you cannot. RS232 is 5V and you will fry your router by connecting to it's 3.3V TTL port.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
fpp wrote:
can i use the serial port aviable on my PC's motherboard? I mean, in theory, is just the same as any serial port, isnt it?

No, you cannot. RS232 is 5V and you will fry your router by connecting to it's 3.3V TTL port.

5V or 12V* I forget which, but somewhere in the forum or on the internet is details on how to make an old PC com port adapter... you can even buy them nowadays.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rs-232+to+3.3v+level+shifting+serial+adapter

It's better to use a usb-uart-ttl 3.3v adapter, if you can... google serial recovery dd-wrt wiki

----------------------
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, i might have a friend that can hang me one of those for some time. Until i can see him, i was thinking, what would happen if i make the linux partition unbootable? will it just default to the bootloader command prompt? Because, i was thinking, maybe, i forgot to add the delay time to the boot script, and the bootloader has no option other than boot to linux. Also, is there any option to check if thats true? like, dumping the partition where the redboot settings are (i think in this case is mtd5) and change them with a hex editor?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm wondering if not having boot_wait would even allow it to boot DD-WRT. If that is the case, there has to be something to do via serial that likely hasn't been explored yet... or has, on another device.

----------------------
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Maybe... But in the meaning time, until I can get the serial to USB adaptor, is there anything that I can try?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: