Changing VLAN Settings to SWCONFIG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Pdobrien3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Man, I am totally confused by the new switchconfig.

I run port 2 as vlan1 along with wireless guest access on vlan14 and vlan15. When the router is connect to port 2, nothing. plug ethernet into port 1 and everything came back.

"swconfig dev switch0 show":

VLAN 1:
ports: 1 2t 3 4 5t
VLAN 2:
ports: 0 5t
VLAN 14:
ports: 2t 5t
VLAN 15:

edit: Asus RT-AC68U C1
Sponsor
mac913
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 3:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pdobrien3 wrote:
Man, I am totally confused by the new switchconfig.

I run port 2 as vlan1 along with wireless guest access on vlan14 and vlan15. When the router is connect to port 2, nothing. plug ethernet into port 1 and everything came back.

"swconfig dev switch0 show":

VLAN 1:
VLAN 2:
VLAN 14:
VLAN 15:

edit: Asus RT-AC68U C1

The whole point of tagging multiple vlans on a single port is to expand those vlans to separate ports on a a smart switch.

Example:
- Router Port 2 has tagged vlans 1,14,15 (as you show)
- setup a smart switch that supports vlan tags
- (any port can be setup the way you want it, I'm showing an example)
- setup Switch Port 1 to tagging vlans 1,14,15 that is connected to your Router's Port 2 with the same vlan setup
- setup Switch Port 2 to untagged vlan 1
- setup Switch Port 3 to untagged vlan 14
- setup Switch Port 4 to untagged vlan 15
- (You can setup more Ports with untagged vlans to connect more devices to those untagged vlans or separated networks)

You can connect to a (one) tagged vlan with a device if it supports tagged vlans. Windows drivers has to support tagged vlans and be configured to work. Linux on the other hand supports tagged vlans and can be configured easily.

Off Site 1

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi & WireGuard - DDWRT r54517 Std
E3000 - Station Bridge - DDWRT r49626 Mega K4.4

Off Site 2

R7000 - Gateway & WiFi - DDWRT r54517 Std
E2000 - Wired ISP IPTV PVR Blocker - DDWRT r35531

YAMon 3.4.6 | DNSCrypt-Proxy V2
Pdobrien3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for your response but, I use my routers as WAPs for two guest networks in a house with only one Ethernet port in the room the router is in so everything has to be trunked over one port. The other ports also give me room to add things to the network over vlan1.

As I see it, the router is properly configured but won’t work when I upgrade to a new version that uses switch config. Are saying I need to change the settings on my smart switch? I apologize, everything I know about networks has come from trail and error and the internet. Thank you.

Last edited by Pdobrien3 on Sat May 22, 2021 13:22; edited 1 time in total
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Port 2 is the one labelled 3 on the back of the router.
Pdobrien3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Port 2 is the one labelled 3 on the back of the router.

Auh, thank you for this. I will try using port 3. Is there any rationality for this so that I can understand or it is a bug? Also, then, what is port 2 on the back of the router actually? I should have been getting some form of connection as all the ports are set to vlan 1
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
They are counted backwards.

You have to ask Asus why they don't have the same labelling on the casing as the numbers inside the chip.
Pdobrien3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
They are counted backwards.

You have to ask Asus why they don't have the same labelling on the casing as the numbers inside the chip.

Fair enough, but the ports were properly mapped and worked as expected on build 46446. Upgrading to 46733 and using port 3 works exactly as port one. VLAN 1 seems to work but cant connect to VLAN 14 or VLAN 15.
Pdobrien3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 12:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I am still confused. When upgrading to anything above 46733, do VLANs need to be reconfigured for swconfig or are they supposed to just work?
msj100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
On a related note - in the past, I've manually kept 2 sets of VLAN-related NVRAM variables consistent with each other (using the CLI), i.e.:

port<x>vlans=

..and..

vlan<y>ports=

However, I've noticed that recent releases of dd-wrt can successfully manage VLAN configuration from the web UI alone, however, the web UI only maintains the port<x>vlans variables and specifically does NOT maintain the associated vlan<y>ports variables (at least, not always).

Here's an example where these 2 sets of variables have become out of synchronisation - however, VLANs seem to be functioning correctly (port<x>vlans reflect the 'expected configuration', vlan<y>ports are out of sync):

# vlan_check
port0vlans=2
port1vlans=1
port2vlans=11
port3vlans=6 7 8 9 10 16
port4vlans=1 6 7 8 9 10 11 16
port5vlans=1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 16
----------------------------------------------
vlan1ports=1 2 3 4 5*
vlan2ports=0 5u
vlan11ports=2t 5
----------------------------------------------
Checking: port0vlans made up of vlans 2
PASS

Checking: port1vlans made up of vlans 1
PASS

Checking: port2vlans made up of vlans 11
PASS

Checking: port3vlans made up of vlans 6 7 8 9 10 16
ERROR: vlan6ports does not EXIST so does not include port 3 / port3vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 6
ERROR: vlan7ports does not EXIST so does not include port 3 / port3vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 7
ERROR: vlan8ports does not EXIST so does not include port 3 / port3vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 8
ERROR: vlan9ports does not EXIST so does not include port 3 / port3vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 9
ERROR: vlan10ports does not EXIST so does not include port 3 / port3vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 10
INFO: vlan16ports does not EXIST so does not include port 3 / port3vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 16 (probably tagging)
FAIL

Checking: port4vlans made up of vlans 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 16
ERROR: vlan6ports does not EXIST so does not include port 4 / port4vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 6
ERROR: vlan7ports does not EXIST so does not include port 4 / port4vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 7
ERROR: vlan8ports does not EXIST so does not include port 4 / port4vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 8
ERROR: vlan9ports does not EXIST so does not include port 4 / port4vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 9
ERROR: vlan10ports does not EXIST so does not include port 4 / port4vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 10
ERROR: vlan11ports does not include port 4 / port4vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 11
INFO: vlan16ports does not EXIST so does not include port 4 / port4vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 16 (probably tagging)
FAIL

Checking: port5vlans made up of vlans 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 16
ERROR: vlan6ports does not EXIST so does not include port 5 / port5vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 6
ERROR: vlan7ports does not EXIST so does not include port 5 / port5vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 7
ERROR: vlan8ports does not EXIST so does not include port 5 / port5vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 8
ERROR: vlan9ports does not EXIST so does not include port 5 / port5vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 9
ERROR: vlan10ports does not EXIST so does not include port 5 / port5vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 10
INFO: vlan16ports does not EXIST so does not include port 5 / port5vlans unnecessarily includes vlan 16 (probably tagging)
FAIL

Checking: vlan1ports made up of ports 1 2 3 4 5*
ERROR: port2vlans does not include vlan 1 / vlan1ports unnecessarily includes port 2
ERROR: port3vlans does not include vlan 1 / vlan1ports unnecessarily includes port 3
FAIL

Checking: vlan2ports made up of ports 0 5u
PASS

Checking: vlan11ports made up of ports 2t 5
PASS

Is this expected?

Has vlan<y>ports become deprecated?

Currently running r46446.

Thanks.

TP-Link TL-MR3020 - OpenWRT
VAPs / VLANs / PBR / Entware
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
@msj100: You are asking about a build that does NOT include swconfig. You still have to do things via CLI on that build "the old way" per the switched ports wiki. Your post is not relevant here. This thread is about builds 46604 and newer. Today's release (46788) should have the switch config page fixed (we hope!).

Pdobrien3 wrote:
So I am still confused. When upgrading to anything above 46733, do VLANs need to be reconfigured for swconfig or are they supposed to just work?

Nothing should need to be "reconfigured" unless you have multiple VLANs; You should now be able to configure via the webUI without an issue, not sure if your old command line configs will carry over or not, but that can be checked via swconfig command via ssh or telnet.

If I had known the wiki comment I added was going to create such a sh*t storm, I wouldn't have bothered, but one person had to see it and now the sky is falling.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Pdobrien3
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still can’t get vlans configured via swconfig and the UI. I did na nvram erase and configured everything from a fresh upgrade. I am trunking vlan1, vlan14, and vlan15 over port 2. This config allows me to have 2 guest WAP on 3 different routes that are in different rooms. Each room only has one Ethernet port back to the wiring closet.

So, when I plug into port 2, vlan14 and vlan15 work as intended. I pull a proper IP and have internet access. On both guest WAP. When plugged into port 2, vlan1 can’t pull and IP from DHCP, I have no internet access, and I can’t hit the dd-wrt UI from anywhere.

When I plug into any other port, vlan1 works as intended. I get a proper IP, have internet access, and can hit the UI from anywhere in the network. Of course, vlan14 and vlan 15 don’t work. I am stuck and have tried everything I can think of.

I am using an Asus RT-AC68U on build r47000. If someone could at least confirm they have vlans working or not since r46446, it would be a huge help. Beyond that, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

VLAN 1:
VLAN 2:
VLAN 14:
VLAN 15:

Thank in advance,
Dan
hemirunner426
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 13:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
What threw me off with swconfig and the new GUI is if you mark a port as tagged then packets are tagged across all VLANs.

That means either your smart switch or computer will need to be configured for the appropriate VLAN. There is no default VLAN, so to speak.

With the old switching framework, VLAN 1 appears to be default and that's where all untagged packets were routed to.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
No router or build information given. Blanket statement. Might help if you give details and proof of concept.

----------------------
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 15:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
msj100 wrote:

Yes, as the new drivers use swconfig, these variables is no longer in use.

Type SWCONFIG DEV SWITCH0 SHOW to get the config.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
msj100 wrote:

Yes, as the new drivers use swconfig, these variables is no longer in use.

Type SWCONFIG DEV SWITCH0 SHOW to get the config.

Yes and no. The nvram variables are still being used by Broadcom, however, you should not need to use command line method to configure multiple vlans any longer. This is why all other platforms' switch config page is still broken, because the code required to fix them has not been implemented yet and why swconfig startup scripts are still required on Atheros, Marvell, Ralink/MediaTek.

----------------------
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: