Entware obseravtion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
TedCheeze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 22:44    Post subject: Entware obseravtion Reply with quote
My whole issue starts with these two lines of code from the Installing Entware wiki.
Code:
sleep 10
/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start

What does that last line actually do? Why do I ask?

I installed Entware to a USB drive on a WRT1900ACv1 running 44467. On the USB drive the Entware is installed in a Volume labeled 'opt' so that it automatically mounts. I was having troubles with random reboots. So I decided I am not using the entware packages at the moment so I removed the start-up script code that "starts" entware at router startup. A couple of weeks went by and I wanted to use TShark to track some suspicious traffic. I used SSH to access the router and started using TShark without any problems. After a couple of days of tracking my odd traffic it dawned on me I did not add the code back to my start-up script to use entware, yet entware was still available and running. Shocked

So again what does '/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start' actually do? I guess this is bascially a rhetorical question here at dd-wrt forum, I should probably ask this over at Github, but I digress.

Note: The random reboot issue disappeared after removing entware code from my start-up script. Why? I have no clue. For now I am leaving the Entware code out of my start-up script until I find a definitive answer that says it's required.

So I get this really goofy idea. (This is usually how most of my problems start Rolling Eyes ) I unmount the USB drive from the WRT1900ACv1 and attached it to another WRT1900ACv1 running 42460 that is just laying around at the moment. I have not installed Entware on this router before. Guess what? Entware was up and running without performing the install process.

It should not successfully work this way? Or should it? Confused

Has anyone else observed this with Entware?

***Warning: Anther goofy idea***
Would this imply you could propagate an established Entware configiration to other devices just by copying the 'opt' file system to another device with the same architecture? (Marvell to Marvell, BCM to BCM, Atheros to Atheros, etc.)
If nothing else it certainly suggests making a backup of the 'opt' file system occasionally would be a prudent idea.

Ideas? Suggestions?
Sponsor
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
/opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung start

The above starts the service manager. Like most any OS, system services are typically managed by a service manager. When you install a service (daemon) w/ entware (e.g., privoxy), it installs itself as a service in /opt/etc/init.d/, where the service manager makes sure it and other services get started, can be restarted, stopped, etc.

IOW, by adding that line, any services you install w/ entware will automatically be started. Of course, you could choose NOT to use the service manager if you preferred to manage them yourself. And if you have NOT installed any services, perhaps just some on-demand utilities, then the service manager really serves no purpose.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: