Mount point question regarding JFFS path

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
TedCheeze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 13:04    Post subject: Mount point question regarding JFFS path Reply with quote
I think this might be in the wrong forum, but since I am using a WRT1900ACv1 running r44467 I am posting the question here.

Now if I navigate to the Administration tab and scroll down to JFFS2 Support then choose 'Enable', choose 'Clean Internal Flash Storage,' click 'Apply Settings', then Reboot the router. The firmware then creates a Partition in the WRT1900AC on-board flash memory. This storage space is then accessed in the DD-WRT file system using the path /jffs.(aka Mounted at /jffs) This is when the Journaling Flash File System is actually managing this storage space.

Does that seem accurate?

So instead of enabling JFFS2 Support as described above I decide to do the following. I navigate to the USB tab of the Services page where I have enabled 'Core USB Support' and enabled 'USB Storage Support.' I have plugged in a USB Storage device into the USB port, or maybe a HDD plugged in via the eSATA port. There is a setting labeled 'Mount this Partition to /jffs' that you enter a UUID number of a partition on an attached USB storage device. That partition is mounted and accessible in the file system in the following path: /jffs.

This is where I find things get a little "fuzzy" based on forum posts and a few different wiki pages.

Now that the firmware has taken the partition on the USB storage device and mounted it to /jffs. (Again I have left JFFS2 Support disabled)

1) After mounting does the firmware also start/enable the Journaling Flash File System to manage that partition?
-or-
2) Is the partition just merely mounted for file system use without any special management?

To me where it says 'Mount this Partition to /jffs' means that it is only mounting the partition without any special management.

Which is correct? Or maybe is there another possibility I haven't considered yet?
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the volume is a Journaling Flash File System or not depends on what file system the drive is formatted with. EXT4 is JFS, but EXT2 is not.
TedCheeze
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Volume. Laughing Why didn't I remember that term. Drive, partition, volume. duh.

File system dependent. I like that nice clear simple answer. Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: