Help setting up the Guest Wi-Fi

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
junoran
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 9:31    Post subject: Help setting up the Guest Wi-Fi Reply with quote
Hello people,

I'm having some troubles trying to set up the Guest Wi-Fi on my AP (a TP-Link WR940N v3).

First of all, this is my current configuration:

The main modem/router is the ISP provided one (with its own SSID and stuff).

I connected the WR940N, a Raspberry Pi 3 running Pi-Hole working both as DNS and DHCP server (ISP router doesn't allow me to assign static IPs to devices), then followed this guide:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

to configure the WR940N as just a secondary AP.

So far so good: I can authenticate to the WR940N SSID, browse the Internet and see the other devices on my LAN, Pi-Hole working too.

I now would like to add a Guest Wi-Fi/vAP, with some bandwidth control and more importantly with the Pi-Hole acting again as DNS (not sure if it needs to do DHCP too, or this can be done with DD-WRT on the TP-Link).

I've tried to follow these two guides:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Guest_WiFi_%2B_abuse_control_for_beginners

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=322381

but unfortunately I'm extremely noob with iptables rules and all, I can't make it work correctly after a couple of days of trial and error and hard-resets.

What I'm trying to do is to have a Guest Wi-Fi network completely isolated from my LAN, with some bandwidth limits (to avoid killing my upload speed, not so great), and more importantly with Pi-Hole acting as the DNS server.

Can anybody point me to the right direction on how to accomplish that?

Thank you and sorry for my broken english (not native)
Sponsor
ian5142
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:32    Post subject: DD-WRT AP mode Reply with quote
In AP mode, the 940N is not doing NAT, Firewall, etc. It is just an AP. The iptables rules, etc will not work then. Attach the pi-hole to the 940N, then put the 940N in Gateway mode, WAN connection should be automatic DHCP. Then try the Guest wifi wiki again.

Some dd-wrt wiki pages are up to date, others are not. PM me if you find an old one.

Atheros:
Netgear R7800 x3 - WDS AP / station, gateway, QoS
TP-Link Archer C7 v2 x2 - WDS Station
TP-Link TL-WDR3600 v1 - WDS Station
TP-Link 841nd v8 - NU
D-Link 615 C1/E3/I1 x 7 - 1 WDS station
D-Link 825 B1 - NU
D-Link 862L A1 x2 - WDS Station
Netgear WNDR3700v2 - NU
UBNT loco M2 x2 - airOS

Broadcom
Linksys EA6400 - Gateway, QoS
Asus N66U - AP
Netgear WNDR3700v3 - not used
MediaTek
UBNT EdgeRouter X - switch
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: