Hide router on public network

nooneimportant225
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 20:36    Post subject: Hide router on public network Reply with quote
I want to connect my router to a public network. The public network is broadcasting an open WiFi network and I do have the ability to connect my router through an Ethernet cable to a port in the wall which is connected to the public network.

I'd basically like to have my own private network being hosted out of this router with Internet connectivity, but I want the router to look like just a regular device to the public network.

I want to minimize the chances of my router being detected as a router connected to this network.
So far I've set the router to operate in gateway mode and disguised the SSID and MAC address to that of a printer.

Now if I were to connect this router to the public network through an Ethernet cable, is there anything about its traffic or connection information that would easily give away the fact that it is a router? For example, does the router exchange any non-generic communication with another router i.e. routing information or anything else that would seem out of the ordinary?

I'm concerned about my router being detected detected as a router through OS fingerprinting identifying multiple fingerprints coming from my router's IP address or through NAT detection.

Is there a way to have my dd-wrt router modify outgoing packets to eliminate OS fingerprinting or at least make the fingerprint more consistent as being a single OS? What can I do to avoid NAT detection?

Would setting up OpenVPN help with minimizing the chances of it being detected? I imagine it wouldn't help much since it would be operating on the Application layer, correct?

My router is a Netgear R6700v3 and the primary public router is a UniFi Dream Machine Pro which is capable of device fingerprinting.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please take a moment to read the forum rules and guidelines in entirety. I removed your other cross-post since you wish to be an impatient person. Link is in my signature. You should also probably take some time to sift through the forum and the wiki and do some extensive web searching.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are way overthinking this. If you are plugging into an ethernet port you can be detected EASILY if you have multiple devices behind your device. I'm not going to delve into how it's done since clearly you are using connectivity you are not paying for and I don't feel the compulsion to help out someone who is trying an end-run around the system admin of their company, particularly since my day job is helping users and sysadmins!

You might consider that we have enough trouble helping users out who WANT to do the right thing we don't need users trying to game things.

You also might consider that if you have a bona-fied reason to have multiple devices (other than that you are too cheap to pay for your own Internet connection) and you just nicely ASKED the admin for assistance to do things the "normal" way, you would get it without the need for trying to be tricky.

You might also consider that the Dream Machine Pro is quite a bit more expensive than Ubiquity's regular products and clearly your admins have had other people than you trying to pull these tricks which is why they spent the money on getting one. If they do detect you doing this and catch you, I suspect you will be out of there feet first.
nooneimportant225
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I apologize for cross-posting. I realized I posted this initially in the wrong board and wasn't able to delete the initial post. This is also pretty much my first forum post, so I'm not very familiar with standard forum etiquette.

I did look through the forum and Google and did not see much definitive answers for my specific questions.

Let me clarify, I am not trying to steal Internet. I have pretty much unrestricted access to the Internet normally through the public WiFi and Ethernet ports available to me. I would like to setup my own network in my dorm, because the network admins recently enabled AP isolation which pretty much broke all my smart home devices and they are not willing to disable it. I am not trying to cause any harm to the network or make the network admin's job difficult. I'm simply trying to setup my own private network to give me the privacy and freedom that I'd like with my devices.

At the moment, I've been using my mobile phone hotspot with WiFi-sharing enabled as a temporary solution to what I'd like my permanent router solution to be. The main different between the temporary solution being that the router would be connected physically and I would have a lot more cool dd-wrt features to play with.
tedm
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can understand why the admins would turn on AP isolation. But what you are proposing means you are going to be broadcasting a wifi signal which is going to be detectible. That signal is going to have to interact with the other wifi signals in the area.

One of the things that really makes me mad in this sort of situation are maroons who see that the existing APs (that I setup) are broadcasting on channels 1, 6 and 11 and they figure "yuk yuk I'll set my stuff to channel 2 and nobody will be the wiser yuk yuk yuk) What that does is create interference and the AP radios cannot then coordinate with each other to properly share the radio spectrum so everyone gets worse throughput and I get calls from people being kicked off by interference.

I still say you need to talk to your admins. If you really are on the up and up and you follow their instructions and they are decent, they will tell you what radio channel to use and how wide to make it so it's compatible and how to plug in to their network. Then they will know when they look at the RF in the area that yours is OK and the broadcast causing trouble is by the stupidhead down the hall. You are after all paying to be there so effectively you are paying for that Internet service. Don't pull stunts like changing the MAC address to a printer.

If you ARE NOT broadcasting wifi then I cannot imagine any admin caring what you do as long as you aren't running TOR or setting up a game server that is going to saturate the network. But it sounds like you want to broadcast wifi so work WITH them not against them and they won't be inclined to turn off the port into your room.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: