Linksys WRT3200ACM v3.0-r44538 std and expressvpn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
pommyg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 21:02    Post subject: Linksys WRT3200ACM v3.0-r44538 std and expressvpn Reply with quote
Intro
Hi all. A bit nervous about posting in the right place and not being as clever as everyone else. Sorry for any errors. And thank you for your help for reading for years whilst I have not been contributing.

Problem
I use expressvpn with a Linksys WRT3200ACM Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r44538 std (10/13/20). Its been working ok, recently I upgraded to 1GBps

My speed without express VPN is 986MBps. With express VPN its <100 MBps. I use the flashrouters privacy app on DDWRT.

ExpressVPN support suggested:
1. Set up a virtual router (share the VPN connection via a hotspot on your laptop) Rolling Eyes
2. Upgrade your router to one that is capable of handling VPN encryption and acceleration, i.e. an AES-NI capable router or a mini-PC that can be used as a router - Is this necessary or can it be avoided?

Or we can try to install the ExpressVPN firmware on your router. Would this increase the speed?

Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsor
Justanotherbrokenrouter
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 22:39    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT3200ACM v3.0-r44538 std and expressvpn Reply with quote
pommyg wrote:
Intro
Hi all. A bit nervous about posting in the right place and not being as clever as everyone else. Sorry for any errors. And thank you for your help for reading for years whilst I have not been contributing.

Problem
I use expressvpn with a Linksys WRT3200ACM Firmware: DD-WRT v3.0-r44538 std (10/13/20). Its been working ok, recently I upgraded to 1GBps

My speed without express VPN is 986MBps. With express VPN its <100 MBps. I use the flashrouters privacy app on DDWRT.

ExpressVPN support suggested:
1. Set up a virtual router (share the VPN connection via a hotspot on your laptop) Rolling Eyes
2. Upgrade your router to one that is capable of handling VPN encryption and acceleration, i.e. an AES-NI capable router or a mini-PC that can be used as a router - Is this necessary or can it be avoided?

Or we can try to install the ExpressVPN firmware on your router. Would this increase the speed?

Suggestions greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Unfortunately 100Mbps is the most you can achieve with OpenVPN at this time. You can get faster speeds with a Wireguard configuration, but then you would only achieve 250Mbps maybe a little more. Good luck! No build will help you get faster speeds at the moment.
pommyg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 23:53    Post subject: Re: Linksys WRT3200ACM v3.0-r44538 std and expressvpn Reply with quote
Justanotherbrokenrouter wrote:

Unfortunately 100Mbps is the most you can achieve with OpenVPN at this time. You can get faster speeds with a Wireguard configuration, but then you would only achieve 250Mbps maybe a little more. Good luck! No build will help you get faster speeds at the moment.

Thanks - thats a shame! I know its off DDWRT topic, but has anyone had any experience with:
1. The Express VPN firmware on the WRT3200ACM and speed (apologies if thats also openvpn)
2. an AES-NI capable router or a mini-PC that can be used as a router
chong67
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you try using the VPN provider software and install on your PC?

I only get 5% drop in speed compare when in non VPN. Faster download and when its done, I off my VPN. LOL!

I use Wireguard.
pommyg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 14:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
chong67 wrote:
Did you try using the VPN provider software and install on your PC?

I only get 5% drop in speed compare when in non VPN. Faster download and when its done, I off my VPN. LOL!

I use Wireguard.

Thanks - I want a wifi solution. Can you use wireguard on a DDWRT router with Express VPN?
luisaugusto2002
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Expressvpn doesn't support Wireguard in ddwrt. They have an OpenWRT mod software you can easily install for wWRT3200 ACM and use their own protocol they call it Lightway.
pommyg
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 15:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
luisaugusto2002 wrote:
Expressvpn doesn't support Wireguard in ddwrt. They have an OpenWRT mod software you can easily install for wWRT3200 ACM and use their own protocol they call it Lightway.

What do people think of Lightway and Express vpn's firmware? I'm guessing it might not get me much past 120Mbps?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: