Build recommendations for DIR-300 REV A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 16:22    Post subject: Build recommendations for DIR-300 REV A Reply with quote
So, I'm looking for a good build for this router. Currently, I'm using DD-WRT v24-sp1 (07/26/08) std (SVN revision 9994), and for the most part, it works fine. The idea of this router is for extending my wireless network via ethernet (idk if the correct terminology for that is Bridging). The only problems I've encounered for now are:
-Port Forward from WEB-GUI does not work
-The router detects no internet connection but all wifi clients have internet*
-Always low memory aviable (around 1.4K)**
-The router does not provide a stable internet connection, like, you search something on google and it shows no internet connection (sometimes), and after one minute or so, it works fine
-You cannot change the wireless regulatory domain, if you do so, you wont be able to see or connect to the wifi
-You can only use AP mode under wireless/basic, if you use another mode, you wont be able to see or connect to the wifi

*I think the router detects no internet connection because the NTP time never syncs, idk if i have to do something to trigger ntp sync or what.
**I have tried to optimise and reduce memory consumption, by disabling firewall, DNSMasq, WAN Traff Counter, Info Site, Remote WEB-GUI management, cron, STP and DHCP server, but it didnt got that better.

For the moment, im only really interested in getting a build that has working Port Forwarding, but for the long term, i would like a build that meets and fixes all the requirements.

NOTE: I have tried one of the latest builds (r46681) and i was unable to complete the setup of my router because of WEB-GUI inestability. Sometimes it didnt load the whole page, and sometimes httpd just wont respond, and in the worst cases, the whole router would just freeze.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 16:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Are you using a single browser, preferably FF ESR or Pale Moon Portable, in private browsing mode, no add-ons or extensions running, *completely* separate from your internet traffic to configure the router? I just cannot believe that the webUI is that problematic for you, but it is a <200 MHz cpu, 4MB flash, 16MB ram device. At most, you could use it as a wired AP, but it is probably time to upgrade to something better...
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I actually used google chrome, with only adblock installed, and at least for V24 SP1 it works fine. I did configure the router completely isolated from the internet (no wifi on my computer, no wan port connected, just the router and my pc via ethernet). Maybe i'll try to use one of the latest builds again following your recommendations, but i need to have a working webgui in case something goes wrong.
And, you're totally right about the performance of this router, and i really want to upgrade to something better, but for the moment i dont have the money to do so.
Maybe my best option is to go back to the stock fw...
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you use anything Chromium-based, you may get lucky in Incognito mode with no extensions or add-ons loaded, but I have had the best luck with FF ESR/FF ESR portable and Pale Moon/Pale Moon Portable -- separate from any internet traffic. Using the same browser for internet and webUI has been known to cause issues.

----------------------
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, im going to try with that FF/ESR portable web browser that you say, and see if the port forwarding works from the web-gui on the v24 sp1 build. If it does not work, do you know about a build that its pretty good in terms of performance and bugs?
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, setting up port forwarding on FF/ESR didnt worked. But, out of curiosity, isnt there anything (command or setting) that i can use to forward any port that requests to be forwarded? I know that there is something similar called UPnP, but i dont think this router will be able to use UPnP with such a little ram.
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Using the same browser for internet and webUI has been known to cause issues.

Appearently, not all issues are related to Chromium-Based browsers. Look at this, build r46690, flashed through web-gui, previous release V24 SP1 r9994, did 30/30/30 reset before and after flash, using FF/ESR:

Also, the same bug as before, where you can only use AP mode, if you use another mode, you wont be able to see or connect to the wifi

idk about other bugs because it freezes and i cannot take logs, but that confirms that such new builds dont work well on this router
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm surprised you didn't brick it doing a 30-30-30. You don't 30-30-30 this router AFAIK. I guess typing "private browsing mode" isn't enough. Open a new private window... you are not in private browsing mode...

Question: did reloading the page fix it? This is still known to happen, regardless of browser. Giving up at the first sign of something like that is a defeatist attitude.

The only modes I know of that are supported by atheros are AP, Client, and Client Bridge (routed). You can't use a repeater mode... so, not sure what you're trying to do with this thing.

----------------------
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
hehe, i forgot to open the privete tab. But, does it matters if its a fresh install? i mean, there is no user data like cookies or idk what else.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Question: did reloading the page fix it?

And, about your question, yes, reloading the page fixed it (after two or three attempts).
kernel-panic69 wrote:
The only modes I know of that are supported by atheros are AP, Client, and Client Bridge (routed)

When you say routed, do you mean that in order for client bridge to work, something has to be routed? I mean, i used this wiki, it never talks about routing something.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
...not sure what you're trying to do with this thing.

To clarify things a little bit, what i want is to have wifi upstairs on my home, and for that to happen, i have this router. There is a main router downstairs that its the one in charge of providing internet acces, but its signal strength isnt enough to get to my bedroom or desk, where my pc is. What i need is a way to extend my wifi range to the areas where there is no signal. Also, a requisite in that, is that i must be able to port forward from upstairs.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, let me be perfectly clear: ONLY Broadcom supports native repeater and repeater bridge modes.

Also, to quote the wiki you linked:

Quote:
Use build 32170 or newer. Do not follow the Broadcom instruction, as Qualcomm Atheros units set up a Repeater Bridge by using Client Bridge with an added VAP.

So, you must run a more recent build; use client bridge mode, and add a vap - per the wiki for Atheros "repeater bridge". Does your main router support WDS?

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

----------------------
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
ONLY Broadcom supports native repeater and repeater bridge modes

Ohh, that clarifies some things...
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Also, to quote the wiki you linked:
Quote:
Use build 32170 or newer.

Right now i'm using build r46690, so the build isnt an issue.
kernel-panic69 wrote:
per the wiki for Atheros "repeater bridge".

Also, i did what the wiki says, step by step, so i think that there is no problem there.
Now, the only problem that i've encountered with the wiki that i used, is that i cannot select Client Bridge (routed) and have a working wifi connection*. The only mode that lets the wifi work properly is AP mode**. I dont know why. Is there any way to figure out whats going on?

https://ibb.co/rvjL0zW*

https://ibb.co/K551Gyd**

kernel-panic69 wrote:
Does your main router support WDS?

I think it does. The router is a ZNID-GPON-2426A1-00. Here is a screenshot under Configuration/Wireless/Bridge

https://ibb.co/zryBKQC
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have to use the SSID of the AP you're connecting to in Client or Client Bridge mode on both the Client Bridged interface and virtual interface. READ THE WIKI. ... It won't work until you fix your configuration...

----------------------
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wait, wait. You're probably going to get really mad, but, with your latest reply I got in doubt of what I was doing. I always had this concept of Bridge mode in routers: Extend your wireless network via an Ethernet link to your main router. Now that you said that I had to have the same exact ssid as my main router, I thought, "that dosent makes sense, if my wifi dosent reaches where this repeater is, why is there a obligation of using the same name? Is it a bug and I have to do it like that? Or am I doing something wrong?"
I decided to go to this wiki page, talking about different ways of linking routers, and I noticed that, bridge mode/client bridge wasnt the thing that I was looking for. What I should've done instead, is an WAP (or AP). I configured the router as an AP, and everything worked, except port forwarding.
I'm really sorry of making you loose your time, I should've read the wiki with more attention. I'm going to still open a new thread to see how can I make port forward work. This thread has had a bad use, given it's title.
So, thank you, and in really sorry of wasting your time
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only way you're going to get port forwarding working is to forward it from the main router, if possible. If that is *not* possible, then you need to use the default gateway configuration on this D-Link with double NAT. And even then, if this is for forwarding ports from the internet, you're going to have to double your port forwards. Might as well keep it in this topic...

----------------------
fpp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 15:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, then lets keep it here.
Supposedly, i already have my ports forwarded on my main router (i say supposedly because i had to ask my isp more than 5 time to do so), so, for the moment we can forget about my gateway. The problem is on the second router. It just dosent lets the ports go through. I have my server already running, and its working (192.168.1.7 its the ip of my server):

Now, on the second router, i have this configuration about port forward:

But, on, it wont let the port 25565 go to the gateway(192.168.1.4 is the second router):

Now, on the stock firmware, doing exactly that, did the trick. I had to do what you say, double port forward, but it did work. Could it be that the Web-gui is not working properly?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: