Wifi problems related to DLNA/UPnP or Samba?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Mr.Pianoman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 13:09    Post subject: Wifi problems related to DLNA/UPnP or Samba? Reply with quote
Hello all,

I have been reading this thread with a lot attention because I recently switched to DD-WRT. I already have some experience with DD-WRT and thought that DD-WRT firmware would improve my router.

The goal: use the USB for sharing files using SMB.

However, I've had some setbacks. I installed the minimal version (26138 mega for WNDR4500v2) and all seemed to work well. I discovered the SAMBA version was not secure enough to work with Windows and so I upgraded (using this link https://dd-wrt.com/support/router-database/?model=WNDR4500_v2) to version dd-wrt.v24-44715_NEWD-2_K3.x_giga-WNDR4500V2.bin.

That all went well so I enthousiastically enabled SSHd, Samba, DLNA and even installed some Entware additions (RSync). I was happily syncing my music using a cron-job and serving DLNA in my network.

However, suddenly got complaints ('dad the wifi is out'). Panic! Looking at the lights on the router I noticed the leds for both 2.4GHz and 5Ghz were off! Router in general seemed a little unresponsive (using SSH).

Resetting seemd to solve the problem. However, next day again the same problems.

So I've upgraded to version r46395. Removed the USB-stick with Entware and did a reset (through the GUI and hard-reset button). Took the router quite a while to come back online though.

After that again enabled Samba, SSH and DLNA. No Entware no more...... WiFi problems returned.

So it seemed the ultimate goal of sharing files failed, and I wanted to return to the stock firmware (yes, I was desperate). Downloaded the firmware, fed it to the restore-screen. All went well. Until the GUI came back online: DD-WRT again?! WTF?

However, all I did was enable/configure WiFi and not the DLNA, SSHd and SMB. And now all seems well during the day.

Information now displayed on the GUI of DD-WRT:

Router ModelNetgear WNDR4500
Firmware VersionDD-WRT v3.0-r46395 giga (04/19/21)
Kernel VersionLinux 4.4.267 #8305 Mon Apr 19 13:43:52 +07 2021 mips

So, maybe someone has a solution. Maybe some of you folks will read this and think 'maybe I should turn off some services and see if it helps'. I will keep you updated anyway.
Sponsor
Mr.Pianoman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 19:54    Post subject: Update from self Reply with quote
Ok, it seems like I fixed the problem. I accidentally read somewhere in the GUI that enabling DLNA might claim a *lot of memory*. So I enabled jffs on a USB disk partition and redirected the storage for the DLNA to that partition.
It seems to be operating stable now for a few weeks.

Hope this helps someone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: