Trouble with some Apple devices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
geps
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 18:06    Post subject: Trouble with some Apple devices Reply with quote
Hi everyone.
I already replied to some build thread, but had no answer on what happens since a couple of mounths on some of my wireless device, so I apologize if this is not the right place to write but I'm trying to understand what is the problem with my WRT1900 ACSv2.
I have three Apple wireless device, a MacBook Air, an iPad 4 mini and my wife's MacBook Pro. Two of them (the iPad and the MBP) have serious troubles connecting to wifi network (both 2.4 and 5GHz). I can properly describe the iPad behaviour: every network sessiono on it hangs down suddenly, every app goes in time out, while it appears however connected ti wifi. In messages log i find a lot of rows like this

Code:
ieee80211 phy1: Mac80211 start BA 04:52:f3:xx:xx:xx

and finally this single row:
Code:
ieee80211 phy1: Stop BA 04:52:f3:xx:xx:xx

Sometimes this doesn't hangs down the traffic flow, but I noticed that every time iPad hangs down at least a pair of those rows are in the log.

I tryed to sniff on the router the iPad traffic with tcpdump, and it seems that during the lock traffic flows normally: for example if I ping an host on internet during the lock, I can see the replies on the sniffer, but packets can't reach the iPad!

Similar things happen with my wife's MBPm but I haven't done sniffing analysis.
Other hosts of the network, including My MacBook Air, don't have problems like this.
Does anyone know what the hell happens? Traffic comes on router but it does not forward it to my devices! And why only for iPad and MBP? Is there some setting can help me to prevent this weirdness?
I installed almost every beta release, and nothing changes. Unfortunately I forgot the last release without this problem, if someone can tell it to me would be great!
I apologize again if this is not the correct place for this, but please, if you want to reply with a reproach, at least tell me also where I can post it!
Thank you everyone.
Sponsor
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
This problem is well known but unfortunately not well understood. It seems to affect environments with multple Apple devices active at the same time. They remain connected to wifi with a strong signal, but no IP traffic is flowing. The last known good DD-WRT release for environments with Apple devices is 44048. 44085 is broken. See this thread as well: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327775
geps
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
pbphoto wrote:
This problem is well known but unfortunately not well understood. It seems to affect environments with multple Apple devices active at the same time. They remain connected to wifi with a strong signal, but no IP traffic is flowing. The last known good DD-WRT release for environments with Apple devices is 44048. 44085 is broken. See this thread as well: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327775

Thank you very much.
I hope I can downgrade without reconfigure everything from scratch.
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 22:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
You probably will need to retype your config. what release are you running now?
geps
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
pbphoto wrote:

Not so much really. Openvpn, Entware, NAS...
geps
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
pbphoto wrote:

Ok, rollback and reconfiguration done, thank you again.
It would be nice to know what causes the problem and if it will be resolved in future releases (and what will be the working release).
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 19:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Excellent. Let us know how 44048 works for you. Yes it would be nice to know all those things you mentioned.
kris18890
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi all,

I've noticed that since going from r43516 > r46069 I was having the wifi isues that others have mentioned on all my Apple devices connected to 4 of my routers (bitchbox, cookiejar, coffeejar, & teajar). I've also, in the last ~24 hours, deployed shelleybox running 46069 (was a "new" purchase with stock Linksys firmware flashed to r31544 then r46069) & have noticed the same issues. Other devices, such as various windows 10 laptops, Amazon FireSticks, Google ChromeCasts etc seem to not have had this issue, just the iOS devices.

EDIT: security is set to WPA2-PSK for both 2.4 GHz & 5 GHz, where possible I'm using default wireless settings with the exception of "Regulatory Domain" in advanced settings, which I've changed from United States to United Kingdom.

Having read the advice of others I changed the DTIM interval from 1 > 3 on shelleybox & have noticed a definite improvement! I've changed the settings on my other routers but as they're at other locations (parents'/partner's) I'll test when I get the chance.

Hope this helps point people smarter than me in the right direction!

Chris Cool

My DD-WRT Routers:
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv2 - bitchbox (gateway) (r55678 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv1 - hackybox (gateway) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv1 - shelleybox (AP only) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv1 - cookiejar (gateway) (r55678 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACv1 - coffeejar (AP only) (r55678 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACv1 - teajar (AP only) (r55678 - daily use)
Linksys/Broadcom E3000 - switchbox (gateway) (r55678 - not in use/in storage)
kris18890
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Following on from my previous post above, I downgraded Shelleybox from 46069 to 44048 & it seems much more stable

Chris Cool

My DD-WRT Routers:
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv2 - bitchbox (gateway) (r55678 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv1 - hackybox (gateway) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv1 - shelleybox (AP only) (r53633 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACSv1 - cookiejar (gateway) (r55678 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACv1 - coffeejar (AP only) (r55678 - daily use)
Linksys/Marvell WRT1900ACv1 - teajar (AP only) (r55678 - daily use)
Linksys/Broadcom E3000 - switchbox (gateway) (r55678 - not in use/in storage)
whynotwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
kris18890 wrote:
Following on from my previous post above, I downgraded Shelleybox from 46069 to 44048 & it seems much more stable

This is also my experience. Switched from a later version back to 44048 and my iOS issues went away.

Sometime in the future, I'll start testing newer builds and providing feedback for iOS devices, but as of now too many people are using the router for me to test it Razz

Navigation

Jump to: