[SOLVED] R7800 slow/unresponsive interface in admin menu?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
rotaryracer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:29    Post subject: [SOLVED] R7800 slow/unresponsive interface in admin menu? Reply with quote
Hi all - I recently purchased two used R7800 routers for the purposes of upgrading to DD-WRT and running a WDS/mesh network in my house. I flashed both initially to 45993 and just updated to 46380. To set expectations, I'm coming from an Archer C7 v2 (single core, 720 mHz) running DD-WRT 45993.

One of the R7800s is relatively quick to respond to selections in the admin interface - i.e. click the Wireless tab, that tab opens, click the Management tab, that tab opens, etc. The /apply.cgi can sometimes be slightly slow, but overall, it's good. The second R7800 on the other hand makes my C7 look like a rocketship. Slow to respond to clicks in the interface, to the point where I often need to hit the Enter button in the brower address bar to get the requested tab to pop up. Anytime I apply or save something, it's very slow to respond, if at all...usually requires me just going back to 192.168.1.1 and hitting enter in the browser. It is painfully slow.

The install was normal and uneventful, following the well-written R7800 install guide by egc. I also used PuTTy to do a nvram erase and reboot at the end of the install to make sure there wasn't any left behind crud. This is basically a clean install, with no config done, and I feel like it's the slowest router I've used in a long time.

I'm suspecting I may have a semi-dying router on my hands, especially since I have another unit to compare directly to. Anyone experienced anything similar and/or were able to resolve? I may set the "normal" router up as my primary and the "slow" router up as a WDS station, assuming it stays happy enough to work for that, but if there's something I can do to make it run happier, that would be great.

Thanks...

Jason

Last edited by rotaryracer on Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:00; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
What is the CPU speed shown in Status->Router?

I use this in the startup script to scale cpu up on 35% load:

for CPUFREQ in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor; do [ -f $CPUFREQ ] || continue; echo -n ondemand > $CPUFREQ; done
echo 35 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

Initial speed is 800 Mhz and scale up to 1725 Mhz on load.
rotaryracer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 14:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks Per. I checked the CPU stats in Status/Router and it shows 1725 MHz/1725 MHz, which seems like it's running at full speed. I did also stop using my older laptop to do configuration (via Ethernet) and switched to my new 8-core desktop with GB connection via Cat6. That helped perk things up, but I am still seeing interface lag and/or the /apply.cgi command sometimes not return to the menu I was applying. It works better on the "fast" router, but it does still happen.

If I can get it running and it stays as reliable as my Archer C7 has been, then I guess I don't care if the interface isn't quite as snappy...just seems weird that with twice the cores and more MHz, it's not as responsive as "Old Faithful". Smile
Alozaros
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only thing, that comes to my mind, if you tried to set up one R7800 and than copy the set up file to the other...and this is bad idea, although they are the same hardware...

if this is not the reason....try to reset and re-flash...if it still the same slow GUI than i dont know ...bad RAM blocks may be... ??

for best results do not use chrome and chrome based browsers...

best results: pale-moon, Waterfox, FFX ESR, Opera GX or developer edition...

P.S. Bushant, with my fast typing you must type faster... Rolling Eyes Laughing Cool

TP-Link WR1043NDv2 -Gargoyle OS 1.15.x AP,DNS,QoS,Quotas
Qualcomm-Atheros
Netgear XR500 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoH,Forced DNS,AP Isolation,4VLAN,Ad-Block,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R7800 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,Forced DNS,AP&Net Isolation,x3VLAN,Firewall,Vanilla
Netgear R9000 --DD-WRT 55363 Gateway/DoT,AD-Block,AP Isolation,Firewall,Forced DNS,x2VLAN,Vanilla
Broadcom
Netgear R7000 --DD-WRT 55460 Gateway/SmartDNS/DoH,AD-Block,Firewall,Forced DNS,x3VLAN,VPN
NOT USING 5Ghz ANYWHERE
------------------------------------------------------
Stubby DNS over TLS I DNSCrypt v2 by mac913

Last edited by Alozaros on Sun Apr 18, 2021 14:58; edited 2 times in total
bushant
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried other browsers? FF probably works better than chrome.

Might think about about another Factory Reset with manual config.
GUI or CLI or I have done both to solve some problems.
StillBlue
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have just had exactly this issue. Not quite sure what was causing it as I tried many browsers and no success. In the end going back to the guide I flashed back to the Netgear firmware recommended (downloaded from the second post in the guide) then I flashed to the Kong build also from the second post in the guide.

After that I flashed to yesterday's build and all is well.

It did feel like a browser issue in the beginning, but I just couldn't shift it. Using the two recommended builds before updating to yesterday's one solved whatever the issue was.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
I strictly use FF ESR/ESR Portable or Pale Moon/Pale Moon Portable most of the time. I have used SRWare Iron and Epic a few times recently, as well as Safari without issue. But, I use private browsing modes and no extensions and don't access the webUI with the same browser that I cruise the Internet with.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had a similar issue and finally gave up on it. my old r7800 would run OpenWRT, NetGear Stock and the old Kong dd-wrt builds with NO problems. Any of the current dd-wrt builds at the time were problematic and would display the same issues you describe. IIRC Alozaros had a similar reply to my post about the bad ram blocks. After you exhaust all the browsers choices tftp the Netgear stock firmware back on the r7800 and see how it performs
rotaryracer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys - thanks for all the tips and helpful feedback...it's greatly appreciated.

I think I had a few issues all combining to make the R7800 interface slow to respond:

- Accessing through Microsoft Edge (Chromium-based), which I now understand is not optimal/recommended
- Using an ancient laptop (single-core AMD 1.6ghZ) for initial setup, as it was the only easily accessible machine with a built-in Ethernet port (100bT). Perhaps doing config with a PC that has lower hardware specs than the router should have been a clue... Smile
- I believe the physical Ethernet cable I was using may have been on it's last legs...that's been binned and replaced

Switching to my desktop helped a lot, swapping out the crappy old cable helped a bit more. I don't know if additional nvram erase/reboots were needed, but both routers are a hell of a lot faster now overall. I did end up sticking with Edge as I was able to get both routers successfully configured (one primary, one AP with Gb wired backhaul) and they have been running for the last 24 hours without a single hiccup. So far, it's passed the WAF (wife approval factor) test, and if she's happy, I'm happy. Smile

Going forward, I'll use a portable install of Firefox to do config, but fingers crossed these are as stone-cold reliable as my Archer C7 has been.

Thanks again,

Jason
mrboo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 19:15    Post subject: Also slow control panel on R7800 Reply with quote
Not responding to hijack this (solved) thread, but for the sake of grouping this particular issue for posteriority.

My situation:
- Installed (just bought) R7800 with r46716
- Everything working well, except:
- My macbook pro from 2020, Big Sur 11.3.1 (on 5ghz ac) has arbitrary page visits slowed down by elements of the page not being delivered after up to 10+ seconds. This happens both in FF and Chrome.
- Weirdly enough, my macbook pro from 2014 (on 2.4ghz n) does not experience that issue at all.

I'll do some root cause analysis of my own (and report progress here), but if those in the know could share some of their wisdom, that'd be much appreciated.

Last edited by mrboo on Tue May 25, 2021 19:19; edited 2 times in total
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
On which version of MacOS? My magic crystal ball is failing me on this information.

----------------------
mrboo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Updated my post with the info, but Big Sur 11.3.1, for your convenience
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Big Sur definitely has issues that are well noted in the forum, mostly in Marvell sub-forum area. Is the same MacOS version on both MacBooks?

----------------------
mrboo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, the older macbook is still on High Sierra (10.13.6).

I am surprised to hear that the host OS could be the explaining factor for this problem. Perhaps I wasn't sufficiently clear, so to be sure: The issue is specifically when browsing the DD-WRT web UI from that machine; I don't have issues with any other websites having arbitrary requests being delayed for arbitrary amounts of time.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=328995

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=329003

----------------------
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: