WHR-HP-G300N DDWRT upgrade caused port link:up issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
cavedust
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 19:24    Post subject: WHR-HP-G300N DDWRT upgrade caused port link:up issue Reply with quote
Greetings, and sorry for the book. Needing some help diagnosing issue or fixing if possible. Buffalo WHR-HP-300N had been running build 23919 for several years, but wifi/antenna would become disabled over time/usage. Reboot would help, but it was occurring more frequently of late, so concerned about security hacks, decided to jump straight to newer version. Not sure which new I started with, but have tried all the following in various/many orders, and each up/downgrade appears to install and function correctly based on the WebUI and status screens: 36330, 36527, 40559, 23919, 46301, 44483, 44715.

Consistent symptoms are that all wired ports appear always have status "link:up" and 10/half regardless of device or even when no physical connection is plugged in. Telnet outputs are below. I can connect fine to wireless SSID after each flash and perform all functions wirelessly except internet connectivity, WAN port shows 0.0.0.0, DHCP release/renew no help. Assumedly a result of this state, no traffic occurs from the wired connections; laptops, printers, addl APs, or even the WAN connection cannot be reached by wireless clients or other wired devices. When plugged directly to multiple test laptops, wired devices work fine for ping/http. Problem occurs whether or not I clear config when flashing, or also after reentering all UI settings to match pre-upgrade. Also of note, link LEDs appear to function fine, LAN/WAN ports solid/blink according to traffic from test laptops or Cable Modem. P.S-Cable modem is pass through and does give public address when attached directly to laptop, and have let it cool before connecting to Buffalo. Also tried TFTPD64 as DHCP server attached to WAN port, Buffalo still gets 0.0.0.0.

Looking for any internal commands to help diagnose at hardware level, or correct the problem. I've researched, and found below swconfig and nvram commands, have looked at old VLAN bugs, used NVRAM to create VLANs in startup, played with 'nvram set port1vlans="1 17"' attempting to force autonegotiate, all no success. I've ordered a new router, but would love a magic pill to get this one running as a backup.

Long time listener, first time caller. Been supporting networks for years, though know what I don't know, and am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for the help and consideration.

Code:

DD-WRT v3.0-r44483 std (c) 2020 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 10/02/20
Board: Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N

DD-WRT login: root
Password:
==========================================================
     ___  ___     _      _____  ______       ____  ___
    / _ \/ _ \___| | /| / / _ \/_  __/ _  __|_  / / _ \
   / // / // /___/ |/ |/ / , _/ / /   | |/ //_ <_/ // /
  /____/____/    |__/|__/_/|_| /_/    |___/____(_)___/
                       DD-WRT v3.0
                   http://www.dd-wrt.com
==========================================================
BusyBox v1.32.0 (2020-10-02 02:15:16 +04) built-in shell (ash)
root@DD-WRT:~# swconfig dev eth0 show
Global attributes:
        enable_vlan: 0
        enable_mirror_rx: 0
        enable_mirror_tx: 0
        mirror_monitor_port: 0
        mirror_source_port: 0
        arl_table: address resolution table
Port 0:
        mib: ???
        pvid: 0
        link: port:0 link:up speed:1000baseT full-duplex txflow rxflow
Port 1:
        link: port:1 link:up speed:10baseT half-duplex
Port 2:
        link: port:2 link:up speed:10baseT half-duplex
Port 3:
        link: port:3 link:up speed:10baseT half-duplex
Port 4:
        link: port:4 link:up speed:10baseT half-duplex
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep port.*vlans | sort
port0vlans=2
port1vlans=1
port2vlans=1
port3vlans=1
port4vlans=1
port5vlans=1 2 16
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep vlan.*ports | sort
vlan0ports=1 2 3 5
vlan1ports=0 5
root@DD-WRT:~# nvram show | grep vlan.*hwname | sort
vlan0hwname=et0
vlan1hwname=et0
Sponsor
ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried a fresh power supply on the router?
A slowly degrading PSU can cause a lot of strange problems.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
cavedust
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
ddaniel51 wrote:
Have you tried a fresh power supply on the router?

Thanks for the response, and interesting thought. The current p/s is DC 12V-1.5A, and a meter shows it consistent at 12.35V, though haven't yet split the wires on the supply to measure with an inductive ammeter. With your suggestion, I have tried a few other supplies I have 12V >=1.5A, and the router acts the same.

Can anyone confirm this model or a similar Buffalo with 10/100 ports does or does not show as link:up when nothing is plugged in? I just want to make sure the state is not a red herring, although when I plug in a good laptop, swconfig does not show the state or speed changing.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you're not going to test 46329 and confirm that this issue still exists, then the only thing I would suggest is to reset the switch via CLI and enable vlans and then apply as done on TP-Links.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Rocket222
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
cavedust wrote:

Can anyone confirm this model or a similar Buffalo with 10/100 ports does or does not show as link:up when nothing is plugged in? I just want to make sure the state is not a red herring, although when I plug in a good laptop, swconfig does not show the state or speed changing.

I have attached the switch config from my Buffalo router (with Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N build 46177) using as an AP. Those ports that were not plugged in were shown as "down" in red.
cavedust
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If you're not going to test 46329 ...

Hey, always willing to try the newest.

Looking at more sources, I wonder does it matter to use "switch0" instead of "eth0" for the dev? It appears when I make mods to one, the other follows so maybe one is logical or an alias?

Also, I notice two things in the output I first pasted.
(1) There are no VLANs listed at the bottom of the "swconfig ... show" command. I'm assuming I need to add these in the startup?
(2) The "vlan0ports=1 2 3 5", instead of including 4, even though "port4vlans=1". I have the cap saved from some early build, possibly the 36330, and it used to be "1 2 3 4 5".

I added the following for startup commands, three vlans designated in case of a 0 vs 1 issue:
Code:
nvram set vlan0ports="1 2 3 4 5"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 0 set ports "0"
swconfig dev switch0 vlan 1 set ports "1 2 3 4"
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 0
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 1
swconfig dev switch0 set enable_vlan 2
swconfig dev switch0 set apply

So, newest build 46329, and with the above startup commands, and still the same problem with port state/speed stuck and no traffic flow. Also running Wireshark on laptops on the WAN and LAN ports, no traffic is leaving, not even DHCP on the WAN.

All suggestions welcome. TIA.
cavedust
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you Rocket222, I was afraid of that. Mine looks like all ports are on and @ 10mb. I fear the worst.
Rocket222
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
About WAN:0.0.0.0 problem, I fixed mine once by unplugging power, coaxial cable, and ethernet cable at the modem, waited 5 minutes before plugging back everything at the modom.

Also there is another Buffalo router with model name "WHR-G300N" which is very close to "WHR-HP-G300N". Make sure you are using the right firmware matching your router.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please don't try Broadcom methods on Atheros. The nvram settings don't apply to anything on anything *but* Broadcom.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
cavedust
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Please don't try Broadcom methods on Atheros. The nvram settings don't apply to anything on anything *but* Broadcom.

Fair, and thank you for telling. By your comment, it is inferred to remove the nvram command. But then, is there concern that "vlan0ports=1 2 3 5" excludes port 4, or at least that the swconfig command does not update the nvram setting for vlan0ports? If the Atheros ignores the settings, is there a potential harm?

Can you direct to any reference(s) on the available commands/settings and their intended purpose? I am still looking for commands that may affect the stuck state of the ports. This is now a responsive but half-bricked router, and I already have the another in place, so am free to experiment and try to revive this one.
cavedust
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Rocket222 wrote:
About WAN:0.0.0.0 problem, I fixed mine once by unplugging power...

Rocket222, thanks for the suggestion. I'm aware of issues where the cable modem remembers the MAC of its last client. Even performing a DHCP release doesn't prevent it happening generally, only a full extended power down as you mentioned, and I am always careful to do that first over a coffee break.

And yes, there are several Buffalo routers with very similar model numbers, and I am always respectful of this and double-check while downloading. You would think there should be some model# check encoded in the firmware, but any code is still only as good as the programmer(s).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: