Make a new option for BitTorrent Transmission Daemon Config

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
portsup wrote:
On further investigation it's transmissiond that is overwriting all of settings.json and not ddwrt. You need 'killall transmissiond' BEFORE editing it. When transmissiond closes it overwrites settings.json. Now ddwrt is also wiping the parts of settings.json it has options in the gui for. It does this not sure when. This wouldn't be a problem for me except it also uses an option in the gui for 'Transmission Download Directory' to change 2 settings in settings.json, one being 'download-dir' the appropriate setting the other being 'incomplete-dir'. This is not good if you want to use a different drive for 'incomplete-dir'. I need to use a different drive because I use an archive drive for the 'download-dir' and if you let the torrents construct on that it makes a lot of writes and a lot of writes severely fragments archive drives and makes them perform horribly.

It would be good to remove this extra setting creation. If you look at the code https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/services/services/transmission.c it just requires the deletion of lines 255,256 and 257

Who and where do I make this suggestion to?

thats correct. if you kill transmission, transmission will write the json settings file. but thats not all. killing is wrong. you need to use "service stop transmission"
this will kill transmission, wich stores the json file but also parses the json file and stores the data in dd-wrt's nvram. on reboot the json file gets recreated, so the correct config is used

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
"service stop transmission" returns an error "service transmission stop" works. Transmission still overwrites settings.json like with "killall" and it overwrites with the settings it has in NVRAM.

My main issue is the nvram setting "transmission_download" is being used to generate 2 things in settings.json "download-dir" and "incomplete-dir" which means you can't use a different drive for each, which is needed to protect archive drives from excess writes which is bad for them. My suggest is to delete lines 255,256,257 in https://svn.dd-wrt.com/browser/src/router/services/services/transmission.c . Alternatively a gui/nvram setting and code could be added to ignore all the transmission nvram settings and just use the existing settings.json
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: