How to install a USB Printer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
RotoBill
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 16:02    Post subject: How to install a USB Printer Reply with quote
I've come across many discussions of how to install a USB printer. Most are many years old or just touching on one or two issues/problems.

Could someone please direct me to the latest link on how to install... particularly an Epson USB printer on a Linksys 3200? I'm currently running 44048.

And will I be able to use all the capabilities of this All-in-One printer?

Thanks
Sponsor
feliciano
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
First thing to check is whether your printer only have drivers for Windows and/or is a CGI-mode printer. Remember dd-wrt is linux based, so the kernel has to recognize it as a USB printer so the module for sharing it over the network can help you.

And regarding a multifunction device, AFAIK, there is only support for printing.

Probably the threads you are reading should give you the tips on what to do , as the printing principles haven't changed much over the recent years.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confession... A week ago, I gave up on my old USB Epson all-in-1 and got a new ethernet HP all-in-1. Everyone is happy now
kgw
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm using a Linksys wrt32x and it was simple...As soon as I realized most of the info out there is very outdated.

I enabled USB support on the router, and plugged the Canon MG5400 series into the USB port on the router.

Then I got the ip address that was assigned to the printer, and went to the add printer install/settings page:

I'm using ubuntu 20.04, btw.
Xsane couldn't see the scanner at first, but I discovered I had to open port 8612 through ufw, the firewall. It's all working, I'm happy to report!

Much less complicated than most of the outdated methods.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: