R7800 Downgrading from r46177 to r41813 - Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 21:41    Post subject: R7800 Downgrading from r46177 to r41813 - Question Reply with quote
Hello,

If you've been following my travails with upgrading, you might be aware that I'm reverting back to the prior version that I had working on my router.

Will try to upgrade some other weekend.

My understanding of the steps to go back build version is as follows:

Connect laptop to router via LAN port, not WAN
Go to Admin->Factory Defaults-> Restore Factory Defaults
Apply Settings

Then go to Admin->Firmware Upgrade, and use r41813 dd-wrt-webupgrade.bin file, keeping After flashing reset to as 'Don't reset'

Once this is done, telnet to router and run
"nvram erase && reboot"

I have a backup of configuration settings that I made just before trying to upgrade. Can I use this file to restore configuration or is it recommended to set everything manually?

This is the first time I'm reverting back to a prior version and want to make sure I have all the steps captured accurately

Thanks
Sponsor
abhijitat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
if the backup is from same build you are trying to downgrade, then you can restore that backup after downgrading and reset.

it is always advisable to do a complete reconfiguration unless you are sure that the old config was not having any gremlins.
Per Yngve Berg
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why 41813?

There are Many later build that work ok.

I would have tried 46069.

Just flash without reset. That's all.
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
abhijitat wrote:
if the backup is from same build you are trying to downgrade, then you can restore that backup after downgrading and reset.

it is always advisable to do a complete reconfiguration unless you are sure that the old config was not having any gremlins.

Yes the backup config is from the previous build that I'm planning to go back to. That was working fine, no issues.

Other than that, did I capture correctly what I needed to do to go back?

Thanks,
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Per Yngve Berg wrote:
Why 41813?

There are Many later build that work ok.

I would have tried 46069.

Just flash without reset. That's all.

That was the build that I had prior to upgrading and have a backup config from that build that I can restore.

I did start with 46069 but had wifi issues (and other windows issues, might be unrelated).
abhijitat
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
nkaufman wrote:
abhijitat wrote:

Yes the backup config is from the previous build that I'm planning to go back to. That was working fine, no issues.

Other than that, did I capture correctly what I needed to do to go back?

Thanks,

Yes, but there is reboot after resetting first time you rest. Then you need to configure basic setting.

you have been informed in various threads to refer guide by egc. He has written it beautifully.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=320614

please refer section Second/Subsequent Flashes

You will need to have a courage to do all this stuff. everybody in forum will guide you to certain extent, but not going to spoon feed you. for that you can refer Netgear forums.

These firmwares here need certain level of skill and risk appetite. All the while you are refusing/not reading guides informed to you. I am seeing that you are also having two threads on same topic, with just a small change.

All gurus watching this thread please suggest if you think otherwise.

Apologies if you feel reply is rude or blunt, but you are not doing your homework. Please note down all your questions then search forums, you will find most answers, if not you can ask specific questions.

R7800 is a robust router and can not be easily bricked, if it soft bricks you can recover using TFTP.
nkaufman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
abhijitat wrote:

Yes, but there is reboot after resetting first time you rest. Then you need to configure basic setting.

Ouch! that was harsh, wasn't it? Sad

Sorry you feel that way, wasn't at all my intention.

Yes, I agree that I'm a bit more cautious because
- Messing up a router means getting another one immediately since we can't be without a connection
- I'm not as qualified as most others here to fix issues if they happen

That is why I try to make sure that I've understood the sequence of steps.

Yes, I followed egc's steps and if you'll take a look at a post where I mentioned how I ran the CPUGOV commands incorrectly because as good as his steps are, I still get confused due to my limited technical knowledge.

Having said that, I do appreciate your comments and assistance. There are no hard feelings.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is a certain level of RTFM/STFW expected here. Nothing personal. But, having "a dozen" threads open about the same router situation is a little bit much... slight exaggeration, but it's all good in the neighborhood.
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: