Weird DNS thing with WRT3200ACM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
MinusFour
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:08    Post subject: Weird DNS thing with WRT3200ACM Reply with quote
This is the first time I use DD-WRT so maybe I did something wrong with it. I'm using r36168 on the WRT3200ACM. The router is brand new (i just opened it up today). I tried using older builds (2017 because that's what shows up on the router db) but everytime it finished flashing and reboot, it would go back into stock firmware. Only last build worked. So I found that kind of weird... (I updated stock firmware before flashing, idk if that has something to do with it).

So the problem started becoming apparent when I was playing on my Nintendo Switch. It would keep telling me that the DNS settings are incorrect or that there's no Internet and hence it can't check on the DNS. Now, I began running the connection tests for the nintendo switch and it would tell me everything is fine. I pop a game and after a while it would boot me out of it. I then go back into the connection test and it also fails.

So I open up wireshark and again, start playing. I'm looking at the IP traffic and at one point it gets stuck with a DNS query. The requests show up but the replies never. Run the connection test and notice that it also gets stuck with a DNS request. I use dig from another client on the router, it works fine. I do get a response. So I'm not so sure what's going on.

That's my DNS log for my nintendo switch (the filter does show up requests and responses). It just stops working exactly at that precise moment it starts looking for the domains.

DNSmasq is disabled ATM (or at least I think it should be).

I really don't know what to do, except maybe trying an older build. There's really nothing special about my config, even stock firmware might work for me now but we do plan on playing around with some repeaters (which are already set and working with DD-WRT).
Sponsor
yuzu_drink
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I hate necroing this post, but I couldn’t find anything even remotely similar, and this is exactly the problem I’m having, except now it’s 3 years later and I’m using a much, much more recent version of DD-WRT (r45993).

Did you ever get to a solution? I’ve fallen back to setting my Switch DNS manually to use OpenDNS, which seems to help, but not completely fix the issue.
Argenis
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
yuzu_drink wrote:
I hate necroing this post, but I couldn’t find anything even remotely similar, and this is exactly the problem I’m having, except now it’s 3 years later and I’m using a much, much more recent version of DD-WRT (r45993).

Did you ever get to a solution? I’ve fallen back to setting my Switch DNS manually to use OpenDNS, which seems to help, but not completely fix the issue.

I am by no means a DNS expert on DDWRT, but here's sort of the heirarchy of use:

1) On the setup, the DNS entries 1-3 are the ones used. Here if you leave them as 0.0.0.0 it will default to the "hidden" 4th entry, the WAN DNS.

2) If you use OpenVPN client to VPN, the DNS specified there will take priority over the setup one.

3) If you use DNSSEC, the selection there will take precedence over OpenVPN and the setup one.

Now, if you're not using any of the above, the DNS will essentially use your three setup ones, and if it can't resolve with those, it will pass them to the WAN DNS (ISP or say, your modem's configured one).

DNSMasq for DNS HAS to be enabled though, or else you run into all kinds of issue, hope that helps.

SD8887 802.11ac disabled but visible on GUI and CLI
TX Power 18 dBm
Antenna Gain 0 dBi
U-APSD (Automatic Power Save)Enabled 
Protection Mode None
RTS Threshold Disabled
Short Preamble Disabled 
Short GI Enabled
Single User Beamforming Enabled
Multi User Beamforming Enabled 
AP Isolation Disabled
Beacon Interval 100
DTIM Interval 2
WMM Support Enabled 
Radar Detection Disabled 
ScanList default
Sensitivity Range (ACK Timing) 500 (Default: 500 meters)
Max Associated Clients 256 (Default: 256 Clients)
Minimum Signal for authenticate -128
Minimum Signal for connection -128
Poll Time for signal lookup 10
Amount of allowed low signals 3
Wireless security is WPA2 Personal CCMP-128 only
QAM256 is on
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: