UDM can't handle WireGuard - how to trace the root cause?

OpenSource Ghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 19:40    Post subject: UDM can't handle WireGuard - how to trace the root cause? Reply with quote
I tried several routers, including crappy ISP-provided ones and they all managed to provide me with proper WireGuard throughput of about 750Mb/s. My Unifi Dream Machine can't provide that, but my UniFi Dream Machine has a major issue when it comes to WireGuard. It gets stuck either at 250Mb/s or 350Mb/s or 425Mb/s or 450Mb/s. Do these numbers tell you anything? These are very specific bandwidth limitation points. This is with full stock default settings and the latest firmware. On top of that, after 5-10 tests, it disconnects from WAN and all devices become unresponsive for about 10 seconds.

Other routers reach 250-350Mb/s, stop there for a second, but quickly go up to 750Mb/s. I can connect, disconnect, do whatever, and speed stay consistent.

There is a situation where UDM can reach 500-600Mb/s bandwidth over WireGuard. That happens when connection closes suddenly, such as from client machine crash+reboot if reconnecting within 30-60s. Tweaking TCP Time-out (Close-Wait, Time-Wait, etc) doesn't help and WireGuard uses UDP anyway. Tweaking SysCTL kernel parameters also doesn't appear to help. It just gets stuck at those specific speeds (250Mb/s or 350Mb/s or 425Mb/s or 450Mb/s).

UniFi Dream Machine uses 4-core ARM Cortex-A57 CPU from 2012 and uses Alpine Kernel 4.19. Perhaps that is the issue? I am just guessing, but at least it allows SSH access. How can I trace the cause of the issue?

Last edited by OpenSource Ghost on Tue Mar 05, 2024 22:27; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 20:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keep in mind that this forum is for discussing DD-WRT, DD-WRT supported devices, or adding device support to DD-WRT. AFAIK, the UDM is not currently supported by DD-WRT and therefore this topic is moot.

Supported Devices | Ubiquiti | DD-WRT Wiki

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
OpenSource Ghost
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
What's a good forum for generic "network/router troubleshooting from Linux SSH"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: