Connect DD-WRT Linksys WRT3200 to Linksys MR9000

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Cindy62707
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 23:42    Post subject: Connect DD-WRT Linksys WRT3200 to Linksys MR9000 Reply with quote
Hello. It seems having dd-wrt firmware on a router (even with the VPN disabled) keeps a Ring door bell from working. So... here is my goal
1) I bought a new Linksys Mr9000 router that I will run the standard firmware on.
then
2) I want to connect the Linksys wrt3200acm with dd-wrt firmware on it to the MR9000 as a LAN to LAN connection (so I can still share files and printers with the other devices in my house). I will run one computer directly from that router that will have the VPN active on it for times I need a VPN.

I need help setting up this second router (with the dd-wrt firmware on it) so it can be a LAN to LAN router. I've disabled the DHCP. I changed the IP address of it. The subnet mask is the standard one and is the same on both routers. I've disabled UPnP.

But now I can't get back into the dd-wrt router to access it's settings or turn on the VPN. I can't remember whether I left it set on 192.168.1.1 or if it is still on 192.168.2.1. Neither one will get me back into the dd-wrt settings page.

If I have the new router hooked up to the modem and a LAN to LAN connection established I can get on the internet via the dd-wrt router. But still can't get into the settings page of the dd-wrt router with either IP address.

If I disconnect the new router from the modem. Hook up the dd-wrt directly to the modem, I still cannot get into the settings of the dd-wrt with either IP address.

How can I get the dd-wrt router page to show up again so I can get into its settings? I don't know whether it is safe to press the reset button on it as I don't know what settings that will change and I'll be in more of a mess.

Once I can get back into the settings page of the dd-wrt router, Can someone tell me step by step how to setup the dd-wrt router as a LAN to LAN connection?

Thank you!

Last edited by Cindy62707 on Sat Mar 20, 2021 0:20; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_access_point

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switch

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here are the workarounds for smart home automation, esp8266, doorbells, internet of things on Marvell WRT hardware.

Try disabling 2.4 GHz LDPC which may only appear in wireless network modes with N active (Mixed, NG-Mixed, N-Only).

The older workarounds are disable 2.4 GHz WMM, or try G-Only or BG-Mixed.
Cindy62707
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 0:34    Post subject: can't get back into ddwrt router settings Reply with quote
If I disconnect the new router from the modem. Hook up the dd-wrt directly to the modem, I still cannot get into the settings of the dd-wrt with either IP address AND I cannot get onto the internet either. I have to hook up the new router again just to get back on here and ask questions. So the first problem I need to fix is to be able to see the dd-wrt router setup page again. Should I hit the "reset" button on it? Is there any other special trick to get the computer to see it again?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try rebooting computer first, or maybe try a different browser, usually dhcp release renew or reboot fixes.

Pale Moon, Waterfox (3rd Gen 78 or Classic 56), Firefox ESR 78 Portable or Firefox ESR Legacy (68/52/45)

Worst case, hold reset button for 10 seconds while powered on up and running then you can start over.
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 0:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
If configured correctly w/ an IP address in the same range as the rest of your network, there's no obvious reason why it should become unreachable just because it's in a LAN to LAN configuration. At some point you'll just have to do a hardware reset and start over.
ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Cindy62707
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 23:36    Post subject: I have internet but no working VPN! Reply with quote
I thought I posted this last night but I didn't see the post this afternoon so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

Rebooting everything did not help so I hit the reset button on the router. I'll post the steps below incase they would help someone else in the future. I have internet now on both routers/computers but turning on the VPN on the 2nd router (hard wired to the 2nd computer) does not work. My ISP IP address is still showing through and says Mediacom (my ISP). Anyone know how to get the VPN to work on the second router for the one computer that is hard wired to that second router?

1) Hit the reset button on the back of the router
2) signed into the router with 192.168.1.1 with root/admin
3) Restored my backup that I took before starting all of this
4) Although I can sign into 192.168.1.1 I can't get on the internet yet
5) I followed the instructions from this site... https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Switch I changed the WAN to disabled, Local IP to 192.168.1.2, disabled the DHCP server, unchecked the DNSmasq options, applied the settings. I skipped all the "optional" suggestions. I did do the recommended Administration-Management-Info Site password protection enabled. (however, I don't have any idea what password it is protecting here or how it is protecting it) I could not find the Gateway/LocalDNS
6)I powered down the modem and both routers. Waited 1 minute and turned on the modem. When all the lights were on, I turned on the first (new) router. Gave it time to boot up. Then turned on the 2nd router (the dd-wrt one).
7) I can now get on the internet with both routers on their respective computers.
Cool I enabled the openVPN on my dd-wrt router and checked my IP address and speed. I was NOT going through the VPN. It still showed Mediacom and was showing me as local with a speed of 256 mbps. I also checked with the IP checker on the IP Vanish website and it showed my Mediacom IP address as well.

So... how do I get the VPN to work going through the first router?
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Is the second router connected as an AP (LAN to LAN) to the primary router?

Because if it is, then the fact a client is connected to that second router over its LAN port (or anywhere else for that matter) is NOT going to force the client over the VPN. For that to happen, that client would have to have its default gateway changed to the LAN ip of that AP.

ddwrt-ovpn-split-basic.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-split-advanced.sh (UPDATED!) * ddwrt-ovpn-client-killswitch.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-watchdog.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-remote-access.sh * ddwrt-ovpn-client-backup.sh * ddwrt-mount-usb-drives.sh * ddwrt-blacklist-domains.sh * ddwrt-wol-port-forward.sh * ddwrt-dns-monitor.sh (NEW!)
Cindy62707
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Is the second router connected as an AP (LAN to LAN) to the primary router?

Because if it is, then the fact a client is connected to that second router over its LAN port (or anywhere else for that matter) is NOT going to force the client over the VPN. For that to happen, that client would have to have its default gateway changed to the LAN ip of that AP.

It is connected as a LAN to LAN as I wanted to be able to share files/printers between computers in my house. I need the 1rst router to be standard setup, but the second router to be able to run IPVanish only for the computer that it was hardwired to.

So.... if that is not possible, can I reset the router to normal settings but change it's IP address to be something outside the range of the 1 rst router and connect as a LAN (first router) to WAN (second router) and then the VPN would work?
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Cindy62707 wrote:
It is connected as a LAN to LAN as I wanted to be able to share files/printers between computers in my house. I need the 1rst router to be standard setup, but the second router to be able to run IPVanish only for the computer that it was hardwired to.

If you want *any* device to use the VPN (whether patched to the AP or anywhere else), change its default gateway to the LAN ip of the AP. And you can do that by manually configuring TCP/IP on that device.

Cindy62707
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
Cindy62707 wrote:

If you want *any* device to use the VPN (whether patched to the AP or anywhere else), change its default gateway to the LAN ip of the AP. And you can do that by manually configuring TCP/IP on that device.

I know AP is standing for Access Point but are you calling the main router (connected directly to the modem) the AP or are you calling the second router with the dd-wrt firmware (connected to the primary router) the AP?
Cindy62707
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:17    Post subject: LAN to WAN lets the VPN work but.... Reply with quote
So I reset the dd-wrt router and did a LAN To WAN connection this time. And I changed the IP address of the dd-wrt router to 192.168.2.1. The VPN now works.

However I can now no longer share files between all the computers in the house (which was why I was trying to do a LAN to LAN connection before). There should be a way to tell the computer on the main standard router how to find the computer on the dd-wrt router. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to do that so I have a "home network" again on all my computers/printers in the house?

Thank you,
Cindy
eibgrad
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm aware that using a routed configuration (WAN to LAN) for the dd-wrt router will solve the VPN access problem, but yes, at the price of not being on the same network as the private network. You need to be LAN to LAN for that purpose. So why did you change it back to routed? As I said, all you needed to do was configure that client the same as every other client on that network, except specify the LAN ip of the dd-wrt router as the gateway IP.
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is like @eibgrad says no network discovery between subnets.
You can reach clients from upstream to downstream but only when using the IP address.

If you want that I have attached instructions how to do that.

I do not have instructions to use a VPN on a WAP but in essence it is as simple as setting the gateway on the clients to point to the WAP as @eibgrad explained.

A description to do that with WireGuard is in the WireGuard Advanced Setup guide: https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=327397 have a look at the paragraph:
Quote:
Client side, setup local LAN clients to use the WAP

To see how you can setup clients to use a WAP

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
Cindy62707
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
eibgrad wrote:
So why did you change it back to routed? As I said, all you needed to do was configure that client the same as every other client on that network, except specify the LAN ip of the dd-wrt router as the gateway IP.

"So why did you change it back to routed?" I couldn't get the VPN to work any other way.

"configure that client the same as every other client on that network, except specify the LAN ip of the dd-wrt router as the gateway IP"
I'm a little confused as to how to do what you are telling me here...
1) Which thing are your referring to as "that client"? 2) And "how do I specifiy the LAN IP of the dd-wrt router as the gateway IP"? Are there step by step instructions somewhere that tells me how to do this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: