Netgear R7800 Stuck in Boot Loop After DD-WRT Flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
mtobog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:36    Post subject: Netgear R7800 Stuck in Boot Loop After DD-WRT Flash Reply with quote
I don't know what I did wrong. The process seemed really simple. I downloaded the flash file right from the database. I factory reset and 30/30/30 reset before I flashed the image from the WebGUI of the router. However, something weird did happen that may give some idea as to what went wrong. When I was flashing DD-WRT, a notification showed up that said I was about to flash a lower stock firmware version than what was already on the router. I don't remember what version it said, but I do remember it was significantly older than the firmware I had installed. I don't know if that notification is supposed to pop up or if the firmware files in the database are wrong. I've tried using TFTP to recover, but I can't get it to work. I can still get some feedback when I ping the router, so I don't think it's completely bricked. I don't think I've done anything too severe to have fully bricked the router. Can anyone help me get this thing out of the boot loop? Thanks.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Netgear R7800 Install Guide

You do not 30/30/30 this router, you will soft-brick it. You will likely have to put it into TFTP recovery mode and re-flash stock and flash DD-WRT the right way.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
mtobog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Netgear R7800 Install Guide

You do not 30/30/30 this router, you will soft-brick it. You will likely have to put it into TFTP recovery mode and re-flash stock and flash DD-WRT the right way.

When I try using tftpd64 it keeps changing the server interface from 192.168.1.10 to 127.0.0.1. Also the guide says to run the program when the power light goes from orange the white, but my power light always stays orange.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you set a static IP on your computer? This is via wired ethernet connection, I presume? You have jumbo frames disabled (on Windows)? I personally use tftpd32 4.52, 1024 anticipation window size set. Wondering if it is a timing thing on your putting it into TFTP recovery mode. Not sure what file you're flashing, but if it's a possibility of the bad blocks issue (I don't have the links for posts on this handy), then you might want to look that up. Might just want to set it aside for a while, not sure what time of day it is where you are, but take a break from it.

----------------------
servicetech
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
mtobog wrote:

When I try using tftpd64 it keeps changing the server interface from 192.168.1.10 to 127.0.0.1.

Every time your PC LAN interface gets down (no link) the TFTP Software is unable to link his service to the LAN interface resulting in switching to the loopback interface.

If you wire a switch in between the LAN router and the LAN PC the switch will hold the PC LAN link up, so the TFTP Software setup should stay on your fixed IP LAN Interface. If the interfaces are Gigabit you should prefer a gigabit capable switch.
EDIT: Your win network should show for the LAN interface "private network". You should disable a WLAN interface on the PC that only the LAN is active to avoid issues during recovery.

EDIT: The netgear TFTP file transfer seem to work opposite to the TP-Link, you need to push the file from the PC TFTP app (client) to a TFTP server at 192.168.1.1 on the router.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client
mtobog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
Did you set a static IP on your computer? This is via wired ethernet connection, I presume? You have jumbo frames disabled (on Windows)? I personally use tftpd32 4.52, 1024 anticipation window size set. Wondering if it is a timing thing on your putting it into TFTP recovery mode. Not sure what file you're flashing, but if it's a possibility of the bad blocks issue (I don't have the links for posts on this handy), then you might want to look that up. Might just want to set it aside for a while, not sure what time of day it is where you are, but take a break from it.

Yes I set a static IP and jumbo frames are disabled. When I try to download that version from the tftpd site, my antivirus sees it as malware and Virustotal has several engines that also see it as malware. Are they false positives? I'm trying to flash the latest stock firmware.

servicetech wrote:
mtobog wrote:

When I try using tftpd64 it keeps changing the server interface from 192.168.1.10 to 127.0.0.1.

Every time your PC LAN interface gets down (no link) the TFTP Software is unable to link his service to the LAN interface resulting in switching to the loopback interface.

If you wire a switch in between the LAN router and the LAN PC the switch will hold the PC LAN link up, so the TFTP Software setup should stay on your fixed IP LAN Interface. If the interfaces are Gigabit you should prefer a gigabit capable switch.
EDIT: Your win network should show for the LAN interface "private network". You should disable a WLAN interface on the PC that only the LAN is active to avoid issues during recovery.

EDIT: The netgear TFTP file transfer seem to work opposite to the TP-Link, you need to push the file from the PC TFTP app (client) to a TFTP server at 192.168.1.1 on the router.
https://kb.netgear.com/000059633/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-TFTP-client

I tried putting a switch in, but I'm having the same problem.
mtobog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:

I managed to fix it. I guess I hadn't held down the reset button long enough in my previous attempts. I held it down for a little bit longer and the orange power light started to blink. When it turned white I ran tftpd64 and now I can access the router through 192.168.1.1 again.

This doesn't pertain to original subject, but do you have any opinion on what DD-WRT version I should flash? I have the version that is from the database section, but I also found this (https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/03-12-2021-r45993/netgear-r7800/) which is more recent.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm currently on a more recent version. Either 44715 from the database or that one should be good, but you can also try yesterday's release. Of course, it all depends on what your plans are for use case scenario of the router.

----------------------
mtobog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
I'm currently on a more recent version. Either 44715 from the database or that one should be good, but you can also try yesterday's release. Of course, it all depends on what your plans are for use case scenario of the router.

Looks like I'm going to stay on stock anyway. I tried both versions, following the guide you linked before, and they both caused the boot loop again. I tried flashing both DD-WRT versions with tftpd64, but that also caused the boot loop. I also tried a different internet browser. It sounds like it is the bad blocks issue you mentioned before. Thanks for the help though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: