Recommend a device for 550 mbps WAN?

JasonRoy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 16:08    Post subject: Recommend a device for 550 mbps WAN? Reply with quote
I currently use a Netgear R7000 with DD-WRT. I have it seems, using shortcut engine, maxed the throughput of the hardware on about 380 mbps.
I have googled, read posts, articles and threads and it seems that that is the limit on Broadcom for well documented licensing decisions.omegle xender
What I need/want is:
- routing to about 30 LAN devices, both wifi and wired via a microtik switch into one of the router's lan ports.
- OpenVPN server permanently but it is only used when I am on holiday for instance, to connect to my home network.
- stubby for DNSoTLS.

What I do not need currently:
- QOS.

Here comes the question:
What is the recommended Atheros device or devices to run this and fully utilise the 550 mbps WAN. I might be able to upgrade to 1 gbps in the future, but it might be another year.

I am clear that if it is beyond consumer grade routers that I need to either look at the unifi, pfsense, etc. of this world. They are nice but I prefer the lower cost but most importantly the customisation possibilities on DD-WRT.

Last edited by JasonRoy on Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:31; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
R7800, R7500v2, EA8500, R9000, x86.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
x86_64 for your main router (future-proof). I don't think that even the ER-X Ubitquiti will quite handle the job, but that is a close second. On x86_64, you can run either DD, pfSense, or OPNSense and have everything you need. I am hesitant to recommend any of the higher-end consumer devices such as R9000 due to hardware failure issues and such.

For wireless, you can use R7800s configured as wired access points... I prefer to wire as much as possible, and only use wireless for mobile devices. Just my buck and some change.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 22:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
What sort of x86 cpu is needed for gigabit routing?
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
depends on what features you want to run, if you are running vpn (or things with high levels of computational overhead) a faster processor is needed.

you can look at the hardware recommendations on other sites otherwise check out some of these:
https://protectli.com/

they are designed to be routers
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
slybunda wrote:
What sort of x86 cpu is needed for gigabit routing?

If you go the x86 way consider the NICs as well if you build or buy one. I built a pfsense box in 2018 on an ASRock ITX board that is my main router & firewall today. We had symmetrical gig connection on a ISP promo in 2018 and it had no problem doing 940 up & down. I disabled the ASRock’s onboard NIC and purchased an Intel Quad port NIC off ebay.

The above mentioned protectli has Intel NICs and are excellent. Just a heads up they could become pricey once you start adding memory and storage but if you could get one cheap grab it. I had the single port version for a while and sold it. I used a mix of new & used parts on my home build and it came in just under $200 (US) in 2018, probably more like $250+ today with inflation. I use my EA8500 with dd-wrt on a vlan as Access Point and switch.

cpu.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  15.29 KB
 Viewed:  1631 Time(s)

cpu.JPG

ddaniel51
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 23:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
I worked thru several routers with the final requirements being able to run YAMon with SFE disabled and pass 1Gb on the WAN.
I chose the R9000 and bought some broke ones on Fleabay to repair. One with broken antennas had the radios turned off and became the main router with wired 9000's spread around the house as AP's and later replaced with Ubiquiti APs.

The 9000 uses the 10Gb SFP for Lan, loafs at 1Gb and does 500Mb VPN. My network has a 10Gb backbone feeding 30 devices including 2 10Gb gamers and 2 10Gb NAS's.

A Cisco Dual WAN RV340 is in test bed status waiting for the Starlink satellite dish to arrive and will be inserted in front of the 9000. Should YAMon puke and permanently die then the 9000 will be removed.

Wired AP 3 Unifi Wifi 6 LR US 1Gb LAN
Syslog Services Asustor 7110T NAS 10GB
NetGear XS716T 10GB Switch
download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/ (Brain Slayer)
YAMon https://usage-monitoring.com/index.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: