Client Mode question

phatbob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:04    Post subject: Client Mode question Reply with quote
I hope I'm posting this in the right place. Given my setup, it didn't seem like it would be hardware specific. I have a pc running x86_64 (build r45454) running OVPN plugged into my ISP. Plugged into the dd-wrt/vpn router is D-link dir-860l-B1 (build r45993) which provides wireless and ethernet connections to whatever. Next there is a D-link dir-860a1 (build r45109) set up to connect in client mode. It all works flawlessy, well almost, as I am able to connect to the client router both wirelessly and with a cable and connect to the network/internet. My problem is this. Connected to the secondary router?(not the client router)is a HDhomerun TV tuner which works well but only if you're connected to the secondary router via cable or wifi. Anyone connected to the client router can't access it.

I did find some similar topics when searching but involving client bridge rather than client mode so I wasn't sure it was applicable

As far as setup, the secondary router basically i just changed the name, local ip, time zone and setup the wireless and wireless security. The client router is setup following the wiki.
Sponsor
Wildlion
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not sure I understand your setup, but my first question would be are you bridging or still have NAT enabled?
phatbob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still have NAT enabled. I can connect to the tuner through the client router via its ip address in a browser and access the gui, but the TV tuner app on the same device can't see the tuner. It responds no device found.

Also if it helps, IP of the #2 router is 192.158.1.1, the client router is 192.158.2.1 and the tv tuner is 192.158.1.109
phatbob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
So based on more searching and reading I decided to convert to client bridged so the routers and the tuner in question are all on the same subnet. Now the app and tuner can communicate so it works.

Now I have other questions.

1-I have not fully completed the setup for "client bridged" the one thing I haven't done is change it from gateway to router and yet it is working. I have read in other topics that setting it to router can cause other issues, so I'm wondering, do I need to change it? I should also mention I haven't yet rebooted the router if that makes a difference.

2-The reason I chose client mode over bridged in the first place is that the wiki says bridged mode is the most unstable and only to use it if needed. So I guess I'm wondering if there's any other work around,like maybe a firewall script?
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WDS_Linked_router_network

https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1128577#1128514
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Broadcom ARM:

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/D-Link_DIR-860L_rev_A1

MediaTek MIPS:

https://wikidevi.wi-cat.ru/D-Link_DIR-860L_rev_B1

Broadcom Build Thread wrote:
WDS does not work on Broadcom ARM devices (only MIPS<->MIPS) & bridge modes on k4.4 devices may sometimes work
in some configurations for certain builds but are not supported by the bcmdhd driver. Use client or repeater instead.

DD-WRT Wiki wrote:
Note about WDS and different chip manufacturers

WDS between different chip vendors (qualcomm atheros, broadcom, ralink) will not work most of the time since it's INCOMPATIBLE and no we will NOT fix it. There is an unsupported, unsecure (no wireless security or WEP) method to connect a Broadcom (main router) with a Qualcomm Atheros (secondary router). This will be discussed further down.

WDS will likely not be an option. Arrow

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
phatbob
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you all for the replies, and please pardon my ignorance. I did read alot of this already, but unfortunately for me most of it might as well be in latin. I'm one of those that can read something over and over but it's a slow process of osmosis to get it through my thick skull. But show me something once and I'm golden.

Anyway, I gleen from this that client bridged is my only option. I stated in a previous post that I had changed everything except for changing it from gateway to router mode and it is working. I have since realized that its working only because I was connected to the wan. When connected to a lan I still get internet, but can't connect to the tuner. So now the following questions.

1- Will changing it from gateway to router fix this? I assume it will, but don't want to screw things up if not.

2- Is there any reason, security or other, to not leave it as is? I ask this because I only need to plug one thing into the client router so I can just use the wan if its secure to do so.

3- If I want to use client mode rather than bridge, do have to replace both routers or just the client router?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: