Linksys E3000 - Poor wireless rates with r42335 kernel 3.x

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
soo2Abac
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:49    Post subject: Linksys E3000 - Poor wireless rates with r42335 kernel 3.x Reply with quote
Hi,

I use a Linksys E3000 as a gateway/AP for a while now and upgraded to r42335 (kernel 3.x) recently. The AP serves at most 5-10 wireless clients.

I noticed a poor wireless range/rate (5-6 Mbps in NG-mixed mode) with this build compared to its kernel-2.x counterpart using the exact same settings. Moreover the signal quality varies a lot and the TX power adjustments do not seem to be applied.

I chose to upgrade to r42335 as it was the most recent revision reported as working with the Linksys E3000. I followed the Wiki instructions to the letter for performing the kernel-3.x upgrade.

I ask my self the following questions:

Q1. May the kernel upgrade from 2.x to 3.x affect the wireless range/rate on this device?

Q2. Would you recommend another (more recent) build for this device?

Q3. I saw that the E3000 as almost the same specifications as the WRT610N v2. Is is safe to use a build reported as working for the WRT610N v2 (but to flash the E3000 flavor obviously)?

Thanks.
Sponsor
wrtboy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
i recall reading steve jenkins blog on the e4200 and he had done tests with k3.x and also determined k3.x to be slower than the k2.6. the e3000 and the e4200 are practically siblings hence i surmise your e3000 is better suited with k2.6 for better performance.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Steve Jenkins' blog is slightly outdated, and K3.x on broadcom is now K4.x (see the stickies at the top of the forum). If you go by that blog, then 30880 K2.6 would be what you'd wind up with, which doesn't have any security patches in more recent builds, even the K2.6 builds....
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: