OpenVPN Site-to-Site with DD-WRT as the remote site

anonymous_guest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:48    Post subject: OpenVPN Site-to-Site with DD-WRT as the remote site Reply with quote
So everybody knows that is possible to setup on Ubiquiti devices a Site-to-Site VPN between them using IPSec or OpenVPN setup (mainly I use a USG-PRO-4 as our main gateway and a USG-3P as remote site).
But as many users know, Ubiquiti devices can get very expensive to deploy, so I was wondering if anyone could help me to retrieve the OpenVPN config from the USG devices so I can apply them over a DD-WRT router.
I was thinking this three steps:
1. Extract the config from the USG-PRO-4 so I can learn what config lines fills the controller setup.
2. Extract the config from the USP-3P so I can make a custom config for the DD-WRT router and apply it.
3. Create the new Site-to-Site setup on the controller with the known config.
Sponsor
anonymous_guest
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:01    Post subject: No config found Reply with quote
So, I have been researching about this threat for a while (really much more than a while). The thing is that Ive searched with SSH within the USG device and I was unable to find anything like a OpenVPN config file, so I think that OpenVPN service is started with all its configuration in a single command line (reason for not finding such file). Then, Ive proceeded for looking around the L2TP config file and I was able to find them, from this point everything started to change in a hole new direction. Since Ubiquiti uses StrongSwan as the software for L2TP VPN service, I switched to OpenWrt because with it I was able to install the same package (sorry guys, hope that Im not breaking any rules on this forum by telling this). I was really amazed by how in such underpowered and old device like a D-Link DIR-600 rev. B1 is able to run their firmware and also to find that is able to install packages in you're own way so you could have a personalized solution (if yore able to run something in this condition, think in how much possibility you could have in a greater one).
Anyways Ive decide to post this for anyone that's looking for some kind of this solution (to connect a third party router to a Ubiquiti USG device), because of its nature things got out of DD-WRT side so Ive posted another more advanced thread on OpenWrt forum (Ill post the link below, hope I don't get banned by this).

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/openwrt-l2tp-psk-vpn-to-ubiquiti-usg/85872

If someone is still interested on going with OpenVPN type solution combined with DD-WRT (or even OpenWrt, that also supports it), I was able to find some links that may get to a final solution, anyways Ill post it below too.

https://community.ui.com/questions/openvpn-config-file/6999c501-6b39-4440-bc72-a225773b2810
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ubiquiti Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: