CLI command to set wireless channel number Netgear R7200

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
joelbert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 14:36    Post subject: CLI command to set wireless channel number Netgear R7200 Reply with quote
Is there a CLI command to set wireless channel number? I can find documentation on the WL command, but that is for broadcom.

When I try to setup any of the recent releases with one radio in two modes, as a client and VAP or mesh and vap, one of the two wireless instances shows a status 'unknown' for the channel. I would like to try manually setting the channel number for the second instance of the interface to see if that works. In my testing, wlan0 or wlan0.1 will show "unknown" for the channel on the status pages.

When set up as an access point, virtual access points work, but only on the same channel.
Sponsor
egc
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
A VAP is always on the same channel as it is the same radio

To get the best out of DDWRT and the forum read the forum guidelines with helpful pointers:
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087

If you have not already read the forum guidelines, please do !!

Forum Guide Lines (important read):https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=324087
joelbert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
netgear R7200 (R6800) r7200-webflashr45820.bin

I was asking a question to help narrow down what I am pretty sure is a bug in this build, sorry if it belongs elsewhere. I posted it here because I observed it in the most recent build. I probably should have included the router model and build to make clear that I am using one of the recently supported Netgear routers. I did try to include enough info so that others testing this build could look at the issue if they chose.

Where I understand the VAPs being on the same channel because it is the same radio, it does not look like this radio chip requires it this way I don't know if this radio would work on multiple channels, and would allow vaps on different channels, but it does look like it wants to have a channel number assigned for each instance. The status pages can show a channel number on wlan0.1, and show 'unknown' for the channel on wlan0, which certainly makes them seem independent. Depending what order I enable things setting this router up the first instance seems to get a channel number assigned and all of the later one shows unknown for channel number.

If there is a command like wl for ralink/mediatek that would let me manually set these unknown channels then I could give a more specific bug report.

Other than this issue the build running fine in my use as a gateway via cellphone with wireguard and some policy based routing.

BTW EGC, thank your work on wireguard and the guide to setting it up that I used. I probably will be reaching out for help with more advanced routing and multiple tunnels, but I will do that in the appropriate forum when I get there.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
The only 'bug' is in the webUI. You can't have the same radio chip running two separate channels, one for the main AP interface, and the other for the virtual one. It's cosmetic. If the thing works, it works. But hey, we can forward your concerns...
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
joelbert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
But it doesn't work. Whichever channel, wlan0 or wlan0.1, shows 'unknown' for channel number doesn't work.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
So the wireless interfaces do not work, whatsoever? Or it's just not showing the channel? It might help to add some screenshots, but keep in mind, if you do attachments, they can be no larger than 768 pixels wide. Otherwise, use imgur, imgbb or some other image hosting site to add them to your post.

EDIT: Split this topic off from the build thread as it does NOT belong there and I just emailed the developer about this.

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
BrainSlayer
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
i have a r6800. works like a charm. here i cannot say anything without seeing logs or the config itself. maybe its a wrong config. who knows

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem is when I set up a virtual access point on the same radio with a client or mesh mode. Depending on the order I save and apply settings either the client or VAP will work, and the other will show "unknown' for channel number and not function.

If I set up a VAP with an AP mode it works fine.

I'll work on screenshots and logs later today.
joelbert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Configuration
Gateway- wlan1 is client to cell phone. Wlan0 is mesh to another R7200 running the same build. wlan0.1 is vap. Wlan0 mesh network is using mac filtering for security, wlan0.1 is using WPA WPA2 with AES encryption.

At 22:50 I did "save and apply" changing the wlan0 mode from AP to mesh. At that time the AP and VAP was working fine and both showed the same channel in the status.
The mesh network connected to a client I already had configured. VAP disappeared. zip of pdf screen shots for wlan0 and wlan0.1 status attached.
At 23:00 I did "save and apply" changing wlan0 mode from mesh back to AP. That seems to have triggered the kernel panic in the logs. After the reboot the

I have pdf screenshots of the configuration screens, and status screens if you need to review more details of the configuration or status details before switching to mesh.
joelbert
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
zipped screenshots of configuration and wireless status in AP mode
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: