Troubleshooting my repeater bridge [SOLVED]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
CaptainClaptrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 13:08    Post subject: Troubleshooting my repeater bridge [SOLVED] Reply with quote
I have an Asus RT-N13U bridged to an alcatel Linkzone MW41TM hotspot device. My goal is to provide wired connections to the hotspot for internet via wireless bridge from the Asus to the hotspot. At this point, I've setup the Asus using the Repeater Bridge tutorial and I am able to connect to the hotspot wired to the asus, but I have no internet this way. If I connect to the hotspot directly (to its wireless) I have internet.

Looking for advice please.
Sponsor
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I presume you followed the instructions for Qualcomm Atheros as Broadcom is the only platform that provides this functionality 'natively' AFAIK.

Repeater Bridge - DD-WRT Wiki - Qualcomm Atheros

I've never tried to set this up on Ralink / MediaTek devices, so without searching this sub-forum, not sure if it is entirely possible to do it or not, but I think you would have to set up Client Bridged (Routed) mode, if available and then add a vap. The one thing I don't see is adding the upstream router's IP as the gateway in the basic setup tab or anywhere else in the webUI, and I can tell you that you *must* do that.

Not sure if you have the original or a b1, but this is the current release and you may wish to consider upgrading (since you didn't tell us which build you are running):

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/02-23-2021-r45820/asus-rtn13u/

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2021/02-23-2021-r45820/asus-rtn13ub1/

DD-WRT Releases 2023 (PolitePol)
DD-WRT Releases 2023 (RSS Everything)

----------------------
Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
CaptainClaptrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 0:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Below is my build info. I made a backup of what I now have and will retry with the Repeater Bridge as you recommend. One question I have is that with the asus config'd with the same wifi name as the hotspot, how could any wireless connection differentiate? That's a rabbit trail question for me. Really a curiousity more than anything because my real need is a wired connection to the asus.

Router NameDD-RB1
Router ModelAsus RT-N13U B1
Firmware VersionDD-WRT v3.0-r40559 std (08/06/19)
Kernel VersionLinux 3.2.102 #13462 Tue Aug 6 10:32:04 +04 2019 mips
MAC Address*****
Hostname
WAN Domain Name
LAN Domain Name
Current TimeNot available
Uptime5 min

CPU
CPU ModelRalink RT3052 id:1 rev:3
CPU Cores1
CPU FeaturesMIPS32r1 MIPS32r2 MIPS16 DSP
CPU Clock384 MHz
CaptainClaptrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I went to try again and I think I misunderstood your post. Yes, I followed the "Broadcom" in my original effort, but I did it not really understanding this was for other hardware. I have a lot to learn. So just now I tried changing from "repeater bridge" to "client." This resulted in no longer being able to reach the hotspot, so I changed back to repeater bridge. Do you recommend I abandon this instruction and look for something specific in the Ralink SoC based hardware areas of the website?

One thing that occurs to me is that since I am able to connect to the hotspot in RB config, maybe my issue has to do with DNS..?

I tried entering 8.8.8.8 for the local DNS, but that didn't work. There is a "manual dns" option on the hotspot, I'm thinking of trying that.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
40559 is a number I don't quite like seeing. It is a problematic build, to say the least. Hence why I mentioned the most recent release. I would at least try to update to 44715 by way of the router database, but the database is still not entirely updated due to ongoing development.

I don't know of any separate instructions for Ralink/MediaTek for this configuration, but I presume the section of the wiki that I linked should work. I don't have one of these devices in hand to test that theory with. I might find time to *try* setting up an old Buffalo WHR-600D I have lying around, since it's Ralink, but.

----------------------
CaptainClaptrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I updated to 44715 and found the same results. I tried again using the Qualcom Atheros section. When I did that, the option to add vap was not available. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong there... But that was before I updated. I might try at it again tomorrow, but am certainly open to suggestions. BTW, thank you for your help.
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, now I am curious as to what is available for wireless network modes. Is there any way you can do screenshots? If so, please keep in mind that as attachments, they can only be 768 pixels wide, otherwise use imgur, imgbb or some other image hosting site to link to.

Perhaps I have some reading to do, I've done a forum search on this subject with this device and there's a ton of results. I suspect that the issue is with DNS and setting the gateway, as I stated earlier. We can revisit this tomorrow.

----------------------
CaptainClaptrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's some screenshots:

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Re-read the wiki and tell me where you went wrong. See step 8 under Broadcom. The note in the green text is quite misleading. Unless you have a separate DHCP server and bridge for the VAP, you shouldn't need one running. And again, your hotspot LAN IP should be in the gateway entry on the main setup page on DD-WRT.

----------------------
CaptainClaptrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
One thing I notice is that it says to disable the dhcp and my status showed enabled. This seems to be a feature of repeater bridge mode because in this mode I cannot find any way to disable dhcp. I tried going to client mode to turn dhcp off, but this also failed to get me internet.

The other thing I notice about step 8 is the 192.168.1.1, which isn't how mine is. My hotspot is defaulted to 192.168.0.1. I'm not sure if that was what you noticed or not.

Then there is the green note and your comment about not needing one. Do you mean I don't need a VAP? I also tried deleting my VAP, but was unsuccessful there too.

You said, "you shouldn't need one running." You were referring to DHCP, right?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 21:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
What I meant was, unless the VAP requires a separate DHCP server, it shouldn't have one running. You should be able to disable dnsmasq and dhcp server after setting up the repeater bridge and vap, per the instructions (unless they are wrong). Your gateway address should be the hotspot's IP (192.168.0.1). I don't think local dns entry even exists anymore in current builds. The DD-WRT router's IP address should be something in the 192.168.0.x subnet outside of the hotspot's dhcp range (you will have to look at the settings on the hotspot). Does this make sense now?

P.S. The magic voodoo of this mode may make settings that are hidden, perhaps, but I don't think you should have a dhcp server running if it is telling you to put in the gateway address in the instructions. Cool

----------------------
CaptainClaptrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
I figured out how to turn off dhcp, it was on the advanced routing tab, and selecting gateway mode instead of routing:

Even then, I was still unable to connect to internet....

However, I think I did make a sort of breakthrough after looking through the wiki and finding a note about using mixed ng instead of mixed. I set to ngmixed and connected to the vap wireless on the dd-wrt and got internet. I cannot do wired for some reason still, but I think this is progress, right?

Any ideas on why wired still is no go? Here's the status page:

kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Did you switch back to router mode from gateway mode?
I don't recall the steps in the wiki being so far out of order, unless you skipped over the part to disable dhcp Embarassed

----------------------
CaptainClaptrap
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
I just tried that. Makes no difference. I can still connect by wifi, but not wired. It makes no sense. Wired I can reach the dd-wrt, but no internet. Why would wireless make it AND internet, but not wired?
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, you have the upstream router's gateway address in the main basic setup page, correct? You did disable the firewall properly per the wiki, I presume? When you connect wired, are you connecting with DHCP or a static IP? If you're using a static IP and don't have any of the proper networking setup (gateway address, dns servers), then it ain't gonna work. What does the Switch Config and Networking tabs look like? I would need screenshots of every applicable config page to see if there is anything amiss. There shouldn't be a reason why this is happening. I'm kind of at a loss on what's broken; heck, this could be a bug. The *only* other thing I could see is needing the output of 'iptables -vnL' via command line (ssh / telnet) in PuTTY.

----------------------
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: