ATH10K - CT Firmware/Driver vs non-CT - What's the diff?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
zabolots
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 13:31    Post subject: ATH10K - CT Firmware/Driver vs non-CT - What's the diff? Reply with quote
There was some confusion in the forum recently with the assumption that recent builds were using the CT driver/firmware but it was cleared up by BS:

BrainSlayer wrote:

ahm this is no ct driver. its still the same ath10k with own modifications and the firmware is not based on CT. but me and ben share our patches and enhancements. for qca988x is a complete own firmware based on the qca mainline sources with modifications i contributed back to CT. (mainly optimizations). for the QCA99XX based firmwares, its based on CT, but has also own enhancements and optimizations i was contributing back to CT.

Can someone please provide some background on the whole CT vs non-CT firmware/driver for the ATH10K devices? Why are there two different versions for the same chipset? Is one considered to be better for ATH10K devices (i.e. R7800)?

Thanks!

blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Candela Technlogies or ath10k-ct adds features and fixes bugs, but there may be some remaining.

Everything ath10k on DD-WRT is customized from BrainSlayer, so we are not running anything directly CT.

I have no issues with the new wifi binaries, and they have been changing a lot recently which is always good.
zabolots
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Candela Technlogies or ath10k-ct adds features and fixes bugs, but there may be some remaining.

Everything ath10k on DD-WRT is customized from BrainSlayer, so we are not running anything directly CT.

I have no issues with the new wifi binaries, and they have been changing a lot recently which is always good.

So did Qualcomm outsource their driver development to Candela Tech, or did this company just pick up QCA sources and start building their own version? I'm just wondering how this divergence came to pass.

DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Do not know the full history behind it, but I assume the latter under NDA.

Vanilla QCA ath10k upstream is maintained available here (driver,sources,tree,linux fw,github).

CT ath10k webpage; involved in network testing and emulation solutions.

BrainSlayer has the access and abilities to create the best of both worlds.

02/23/2021 - r45820 - Amazing work done by BrainSlayer! - 03/06/2021 - r45928
johnnyNobody999
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
BrainSlayer has the access and abilities to create the best of both worlds.

02/23/2021 - r45820 - Amazing work done by BrainSlayer! - 03/06/2021 - r45928

I guess that's why he gets paid the big bucks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: