Linksys EA6500v2 Installation - TFTP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
jeremynd01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:10    Post subject: Linksys EA6500v2 Installation - TFTP Reply with quote
Here is a tutorial on installing dd-wrt v3.0 on the Linksys EA6500 using tftp client. The router has a built in tftp server that is active for a short period after power-on, so you need to catch it while it is ready to receive.

The previous community post (which is unfortunately linked to from the wiki page for this model)
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=283136
did not work for me: attempting a web upload would throw an "invalid firmware" apparently because of un-signed firmware. TFTP, however, works fine.

Fetch a copy of the firmware from
https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/
I successfully used r44715 (11/03/2020)

Power on the router, and hold the reset button for 15s to reset factory defaults. The LAN port lights flash momentarily. Unplug the router.

Set your PC to a static IP address in 192.168.1.x range, I used 192.168.1.15.

Change directory to where you downloaded the firmware. Set up tftp by running the following commands:

Code:
$ tftp 192.168.1.1
tftp> binary
tftp> rexmt 1
tftp> timeout 60
tftp> trace
Packet tracing on.

This will prep the tftp client to re-transmit every second for sixty seconds.

Finally, prepare to upload by typing the following. After you hit enter, plug the router in!

Code:
tftp> put linksys-ea6500v2-webflash.bin

I plugged the router in about five seconds into the re-transmit, and the tftp transfer took off within 30 seconds and took about a minute to complete.

Once the transmit is complete, let the router sit for a few minutes. Then direct a browser to 192.168.1.1, and if you see the dd-wrt login, congratulations.

Note on 32k NVRAM bug: While I don't know much about this issue, it seemed to plague this series of models. The first thing I did after setting the router password was to go to Administration > Commands, and enter the following:

Code:
for line in `nvram show | grep =$ `; do var=${line%*=}; nvram unset $var; done

and click "Save Startup". Then under Administration > Management, click Reboot Router. This reduced my NVRAM from 30k to 22k, which seems to be the popular thing to do.
Sponsor
raberrio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi, i installed sucessfully the ddwrt firmware using the original guide time ago.

I am running ddwrt 3.0 build 44085, i just wanna ask you if it is safe to upgrade to build 44715, have you experienced any problems? is it stable?

thanks,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: