Can I format a USB drive?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions
MrPickles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:49    Post subject: Can I format a USB drive? Reply with quote
Hi guys,

I've had to replace a dead USB (plugged into Netgear R7000) with a replacement USB.

At the moment, I only have access to an iOS device without a usb port.

Assuming ddwrt will automount (automount & cifs enabled), will I be able to format the new drive (say exFAT) through the ddwrt services/NAS section of the settings?

Thx,
MP
Sponsor
Mr R Design
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am running an R7000 and yes you can as I did it the other day.

Plug it in and go to the NAS tab, scroll down to 'drive manager' and providing it is showing as an available drive select your desired format and then press 'format'.

If it is not showing as an available drive, reboot the router. From memory I think you have to reboot again once the formatting has finished to get it to show as a mounted drive in the USB tab which will then allow you to set your shares etc up.
MrPickles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks M R D.

Yep, I know you can format from ddwrt ... it's that the replacement USB has an old Linux distro on it.

Guess I'm just thinking out loud as I don't have a PC available at the moment to reformat the drive from. So was just looking for a second opinion or a piece of mind.

Cheers!
MP
MrPickles
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Confired that the USB reformat worked fine via dd-wrt.

MP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: