TEW-812DRU V2 Intermittent Connection Timeouts to Some Sites

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
own3mall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:33    Post subject: TEW-812DRU V2 Intermittent Connection Timeouts to Some Sites Reply with quote
Hi All,

I've been running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/27/14) std
(SVN revision 23808) on my Trendnet TEW-812DRUv2 wireless router for about 5 years now. It's been stable and has always worked well until recently. For a few months now, certain websites randomly timeout for no reason. They intermittently work, and then sometimes, the connection times out. Browser tools show a connection time out. DNS is not the issue.

I can refresh a specific site every 5 seconds or so, and sometimes it loads fine, and other times it times out. I have been pulling out my hair trying to figure out what's wrong. I recently upgraded my cable modem to a Netgear CM400 (officially supported by Comcast) from a Motorola SB6121 (no longer officially supported by Comcast). This didn't fix my problem, so I tried my super old wireless router that doesn't run DD-WRT. Lo and behold I no longer have the issue when using my extremely old router (which happens to be an even older Trendnet than the one I'm using now). I also didn't have the problem when connecting my laptop directly to the modem. Thus, something is going on with my DD-WRT wireless router, but I have no idea what. I haven't changed my settings in years, and now all of a sudden, this appears to be a big problem.

It's so weird how it's only a few sites. I've seen it happen on more than just these, but here are some it times out loading:

hostmon(dot)net
hostmon(dot)tk

Each is hosted on a different server, and the server is in no way blocking or interfering with the connection (I run those servers).

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? What should I adjust in DD-WRT? I only have this problem on a few websites, and it seems to happen only on specific sites, but I have no idea what the full list is. Other than that, my whole setup works great. I get good pings when gaming, and my speeds are fast. I don't recall having this issue in the past.

I've changed TCP / UDP timeouts to lower values, changed to Westwood TCP Congestion Control, and removed some QoS rules prioritizing certain traffic over others. Unfortunately, none of that has helped, and I really don't want to replace this router with something else. It would take me forever to transfer all of the forwarded ports, settings, and rules to another router running a newer version of DD-WRT.

Hope someone has something I can try.
Sponsor
own3mall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Using TCPView, I'm seeing that when the connections time out, a SYN_SENT state is shown. However, the connection doesn't establish.
own3mall
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Turns out, this problem was caused on my server's end due to the following setting:

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_tw_recycle was set to 1

I disabled tcp_tw_recycle, and now, I no longer have issues with the domains that were timing out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: