Chromecast Discover on WRT3200ACM Unreliable

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
ffernand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 23:59    Post subject: Chromecast Discover on WRT3200ACM Unreliable Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of DD-WRT and was happy with it for years. But having bought the WRT3200ACM router last May, I've found the experience of having DD-WRT installed on it rather lacking.

I understand it's because of the open-source drivers and after having installed the lastest firmware (v34080) its been largely stable (thank you so much BrainSlayer!!!).

But one thing that seems to fail shortly after a router reboot is Chromecast discovery. It can be anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours. But sooner or later, it will eventually become unreliable until the router is rebooted.

I've tried factory resetting both Chromecast devices (the first-gen device and V2), and I've tried numerous permutations of router settings and iptables modifications.

I can say is that when I can ping a multicast IP (ie 224.0.0.251), everything is fine... but when this stops (or rather is seriously delayed and intermittent), so does Chromecast discovery.

I'm at my wits end trying to find a solution for this. Chromecast was largely stable on my little WRT50GL, but not so much on my WRT3200ACM (which is a crying shame).

I'm hoping that I'm not the only one, but is there a work around or some suggestion that I can try to improve Chromecast discoverability?
Sponsor
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
try lede or gargoyle

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=312142&highlight=ac86u
ffernand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:
try lede or gargoyle

Thank you, but I'd rather first exhaust all my options with DD-WRT including waiting for additional firmware releases than try an alternate firmware.
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
then read through the forum.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=58

ffernand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
LookingForMyMojo wrote:

I've scoured through blog-posts and this forum for answers. The answers may be there, but I've exhausted my options, which is why I'm posting here.

Are there others who are having issues with their Chromecast on v34080 & WRT32000ACM? I would appreciate any help whatsoever, even if it's just confirmation that it's a problem.
AjkayAlan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
ffernand wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:

I've scoured through blog-posts and this forum for answers. The answers may be there, but I've exhausted my options, which is why I'm posting here.

Are there others who are having issues with their Chromecast on v34080 & WRT32000ACM? I would appreciate any help whatsoever, even if it's just confirmation that it's a problem.

I can confirm I have the same issue with most recent versions of ddwrt, lede, and stock. I believe it is an issue related to the firmware, and there is a large thread on Linksys forums regarding it.
LookingForMyMojo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
You may want to give a gargoyle shot it's based on older openwrt, but it may get you going. It is oceans better then stock. I default to it if ddwrt isn't quite there. I try every ddwrt release, and will stick with it when It is better.

ad19
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:08    Post subject: Re: Chromecast Discover on WRT3200ACM Unreliable Reply with quote
ffernand wrote:
I'm a big fan of DD-WRT and was happy with it for years. But having bought the WRT3200ACM router last May, I've found the experience of having DD-WRT installed on it rather lacking.

I understand it's because of the open-source drivers and after having installed the lastest firmware (v34080) its been largely stable (thank you so much BrainSlayer!!!).

But one thing that seems to fail shortly after a router reboot is Chromecast discovery. It can be anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of hours. But sooner or later, it will eventually become unreliable until the router is rebooted.

I've tried factory resetting both Chromecast devices (the first-gen device and V2), and I've tried numerous permutations of router settings and iptables modifications.

I can say is that when I can ping a multicast IP (ie 224.0.0.251), everything is fine... but when this stops (or rather is seriously delayed and intermittent), so does Chromecast discovery.

I'm at my wits end trying to find a solution for this. Chromecast was largely stable on my little WRT50GL, but not so much on my WRT3200ACM (which is a crying shame).

I'm hoping that I'm not the only one, but is there a work around or some suggestion that I can try to improve Chromecast discoverability?

This is a known issue with current Marvell driver. The bug is still being worked upon. You can follow it on github. https://github.com/kaloz/mwlwifi

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
AjkayAlan wrote:
ffernand wrote:
LookingForMyMojo wrote:

I can confirm I have the same issue with most recent versions of ddwrt, lede, and stock. I believe it is an issue related to the firmware, and there is a large thread on Linksys forums regarding it.

The problem with linksys firmware is different from this issue. Linksys and opensource use different fw and drivers.

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know there's a new marvel driver (open source) that hasn't been included in the r34080 release. Keeping fingers crossed that subsequent release might include this driver and resolve the issue.

I've also been experiencing issues with wifi connections just suddenly dropping all the time with r34080. It's been mentioned in another thread that I should avoid *auto* for channel.

I'm wondering if it's at all related to my Chromecast issue concerning discovery. I've chosen specific channels for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands... keeping an eye out to see if this helps with Chromecast discovery and will report back.
myersw
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
ffernand wrote:
I know there's a new marvel driver (open source) that hasn't been included in the r34080 release. Keeping fingers crossed that subsequent release might include this driver and resolve the issue.

I've also been experiencing issues with wifi connections just suddenly dropping all the time with r34080. It's been mentioned in another thread that I should avoid *auto* for channel.

I'm wondering if it's at all related to my Chromecast issue concerning discovery. I've chosen specific channels for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands... keeping an eye out to see if this helps with Chromecast discovery and will report back.

In my experience, you will have issues if you leave the channel to auto. Pick one, 36 or 149 to keep out of the DFS range. I think you will see an improvement. I also leave network mode set to auto. This works well for me along with the channel being set. Have had various issues when I try other mode settings. I get excellent performance with these settings.

ISP:Comcast
tutorial for flashing "WRT" series:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=287813
DD-WRT Installation, Upgrade & Basic Setup–Cliff Notes:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=311117
Kong DD-WRT Config Tutorial:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Install-and-Configure-a-DD-WRT-Kong-Router/
I tried to be normal once. Worst 2 minutes ever.
ffernand
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've given up... it didn't matter if I set the channel; I still had the router dropping wireless devices and (maybe related?) Chromecast discovery would eventually fail.

Looking at the wrt3200acm thread on the linksys forum, it's a widespread issue affecting both the stock firmware with proprietary driver and even open source driver that comes with dd-wrt.

The evidence suggests that it's strongly related to using android devices (esp. android oreo 8.1). So in the last couple of months with upgrades and security patches applied since September, something in the android ecosystem seems to be affecting Marvel chipsets.

This is an impossible situation in my household as we're all heavy android users.

I bit the bullet and bought a similar broadcom based router (Asus RT-AC3100). Applied the lastest DD-WRT firmware and everything appears to be resolved! The only issue being the LED's on the router don't appear to be working correctly, but all in all, pretty satisfied with the results.

I'll be following this forum and the linksys forum closely as I set aside my wrt3200acm router (I still really like it). Hopefully, a resolution to this problem will come sooner than later and I can finally put my router to work. But I've spent far to much time working out issues when it should have been no more than a couple hours setup.
batttt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
hello,

did you figure this out any further?

i am on the market for new router and this linksys seems like a good option, until this thread ..

thank
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 20:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
Go for Netgear R7800 instead.
batttt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Go for Netgear R7800 instead.

thank you very much, this one looks good too.

DDWRT fully supported on this one? or maybe a subquestion, does DDWRT squeeze out everything out of this new hardware?
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: