Lost connection with iphone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Upgraded my 1900ACSv1 via Safari from 44048 to 45677. Did a complete factory reset and re-entered my settings manually. No issues with upgrade.

Problems with Apple devices: Wifi stays connected but most traffic stops flowing. Speedtests on multiple Apple devices can trigger it pretty quickly, as can normal usage such as opening the lid on your macbook- all of a sudden the ping stops but the wifi connection is strong. One time, the ping stopped but I was still able to run speedtests - very strange. After watching ping times for a while, you can see when it starts to get wobbly - ping times go up - a few pings are missed - speedtest performance plummets - and then eventually, no traffic is flowing. Recycling wifi on the apple device fixes it right away.

Couple hours of testing this morning: I tried WPA3 and then disabling wifi security completely, but the problem remains. Next, I created a separate SSID to ensure just my iphone and macbook were the only two devices on the 1900ACSv1 - this helped but I eventually was able to trigger the problem. I also shutoff my two chromecast audio devices thinking they may be the culprits, but the problem still remains. IMHO, when you have multiple Apple devices talking at once, using their location services all at once, the problem can be reproduced in seconds or minutes.

44048 is the last good release if you have Apple devices in your environment. Something broke with 44085 and 44112.

Linksys WRT1900ACSv1: router mode, hardwired ethernet lan to a WRT3200ACM. WIFI: 2.4ghz: NG-mixed, 20mhz channel width, channel 11, WPA2-CCMP-128. 5ghz: AC/N mixed, 80mhz channel width, channel 36+upper, WPA2-CCMP-128.

Clients: Apple MACOS x 4, IOS x 4, Apple TV, Chromecast Audio x 2, Eufy doorbells, Lutron Caseta, Axis Camera, Samsung TV, Nest thermostat, EtekCity outlets (Espressif)..
Sponsor
PainbowDDWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 20:41    Post subject: Not just with iphone Reply with quote
I want to let you guys know that for sure this isn't just happening with iphones -- it's also with Android.

I went from firmware 11/03/18 (3.0-r37582) to 11/03/20 3.0-r44715 and I noticed wifi issues right away.

For over a year, I've been using RealVNC from my cell phone to remotely connect to my PC while I'm lying in bed. I have never had a connection issue. I've connected hundreds of times. As soon as I installed the 44715 firmware about 2-3 weeks ago, trying to VNC into my PC has been stalling. I disable Wifi on my Android device (LG ThinQ) and I'm able to instantly VNC into my PC without a hitch. I don't use my cell phone's wifi that much when at home because I much prefer a PC, but I do remotely connect to my PC a lot both from work and while out and about via Tmobile 4g. It's only when I connect via wifi that I am having trouble now whereas I didn't before.

I'm reading that you guys agree that r44048 is the last good release that didn't have wifi problems. I don't generally go backwards on router firmware, but will I have to erase my NVRAM going from r44715 to r44048? Because I have a BOATLOAD of settings I really don't feel like going through again. Port forwards, lots of manual QoS settings, DDNS, static LAN IPs etc. Please tell me I don't need to erase nvram!
SurprisedItWorks
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Others may know better re erasing nvram, but I believe an easy test is to look in your Wireless Settings to see what your interfaces are called. In 44048 they are ath0 and ath1. I believe in the new releases they are wlan0 and wlan2. If going back will change these for you, I believe you'll need to reconfigure. If you are already on ath0/ath1, I believe you are good keeping settings.

All that said, I'm NOT an expert here! Anyone know more?

2x Netgear XR500 and 3x Linksys WRT1900ACSv2 on 53544: VLANs, VAPs, NAS, station mode, OpenVPN client (AirVPN), wireguard server (AirVPN port forward) and clients (AzireVPN, AirVPN, private), 3 DNSCrypt providers via VPN.
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Builds r449xx onward athx were renamed to wlanx so should be okay.

Always backup configuration before flashing anything so you always can restore it (for that specific build).

Some have found it is better to hardware reset or nvram erase && reboot before restoring a backup.

And of course, it is always best to manually configure from scratch (lol sorry).
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've gone back and forth between 44048 and the latest releases with the new interface names many many times. Regardless of whether you just switch to the other partition with 44048 on it, or you reload 44048, you will lose your configuration and it will default to 192.168.1.1. At that point, I just restore from a 44048 nvrambak file and bob's your uncle.
PainbowDDWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
blkt wrote:
Builds r449xx onward athx were renamed to wlanx so should be okay.

Always backup configuration before flashing anything so you always can restore it (for that specific build).

Some have found it is better to hardware reset or nvram erase && reboot before restoring a backup.

And of course, it is always best to manually configure from scratch (lol sorry).

I have never backed up or restored a config in any DDWRT or tomato firmware. I always end up just restoring everything manually from my ddwrt.txt notes I keep with all my settings. It's just extremely arduous.

Okay. I will try backup up my config and then downgrading to 44048. I'll let you know if it erased my settings or worked at all. Nice knowing you.™
PainbowDDWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
pbphoto wrote:
I've gone back and forth between 44048 and the latest releases with the new interface names many many times. Regardless of whether you just switch to the other partition with 44048 on it, or you reload 44048, you will lose your configuration and it will default to 192.168.1.1. At that point, I just restore from a 44048 nvrambak file and bob's your uncle.

I have never had 44048 and have never saved any backup of my config. I went from a 2018 build to what I have now which is v3.0-r44715. I'm gonna try putting r44048 right now because I'm sick of these wifi stallings when VNCing to my PC.
PainbowDDWRT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well that was quick. I'm on 44048 and I still see my port, QoS, wifi, and DDNS settings so I'm going to assume everything is fine. Great!

From now on I think I will back up my settings just because I have so many and that's why I love DDWRT. Thanks guys! Hope my WiFi stalling is fixed with my Android device VNCing to my computer in my room!

ArminasK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hej,

44048 build for me does not work.
Yes mine is QCA chip, but issue is the same.
Mostly iphones looses internet in just a random order.
Androids do the same as well, but like 10 times less.
I have followed every settings here in the thread - no luck.
Install is with reset nvram erased.

Looks like dd-wrt is no go for me Sad
Pinball-Mark
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hey Guys, Running R45563 on WRT3200ACM. Problems with dropping data on devices, mostly android phones on the 2.4GHZ. Been messing around with the settings a lot and have found that I get stability with connections if I use BG-Mixed network mode. Using Mixed or anything with N mode, I have connection issues. The only problem being on BG-Mixed is I get very poor speed tests, only a max of about 11Mbps. Not sure anyone has tried different network modes.
ArminasK
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Pinball-Mark wrote:
Hey Guys, Running R45563 on WRT3200ACM. Problems with dropping data on devices, mostly android phones on the 2.4GHZ. Been messing around with the settings a lot and have found that I get stability with connections if I use BG-Mixed network mode. Using Mixed or anything with N mode, I have connection issues. The only problem being on BG-Mixed is I get very poor speed tests, only a max of about 11Mbps. Not sure anyone has tried different network modes.

thanks for the info. Limiting speed on 11Mbps sounds like no-go Sad This is so strange. I can't reproduce the situation when it happens, always random. For example today I had a viber video call and it just lost internet connection (wifi stays on), on-off wifi - works. Could it be related to DNS somehow?

EDIT1: could it be the case?
https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifried-ios-8-wifi-performance-issues-3029a164ce94
blkt
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 14:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
ArminasK may have similar symptoms, but certainly it is not the same issue as others in this thread.

If you do not have Marvell hardware along with related wifi driver and binary issues, nothing here applies.

Build r44048 is specifically a Marvell fallback. This thread is not for D-Link DIR-632, or Atheros hardware.
pbphoto
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
EDIT1: could it be the case?
https://medium.com/@mariociabarra/wifried-ios-8-wifi-performance-issues-3029a164ce94

Just to tie this off - I did try disabling Airdrop on my iphone and downing the AWDL0 interface on my macbook pro. Ran a bunch of speedtests on my 1900ACSv1 running 45767. It was good for a while and I was optimistic. However, after about 30 minutes, multiple speedtests from two different apple devices connected to the 5ghz antenna can trigger the problem. I did notice that when running multiple speedtests, ping times to the 1900acsv1 are variable and performance is all over the place. It seems to be struggling / wobbly when talking to multiple busy Apple devices. Resetting the wifi on the Apple devices fixes it for a short time. I fell back to 44048 and everything is solid. IMHO, there is some issue with newer Apple devices that the marvell driver doesn't like (since 44048).
malventano
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
pbphoto wrote:
IMHO, there is some issue with newer Apple devices that the marvell driver doesn't like (since 44048).

Is it possible that the newer driver has the Marvell equivalent of this issue (Set "multicast_to_unicast=1"). Understood that is for a different radio, but it could be a similar root cause / fix, no?
xl600
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Would any of the gurus be interested in working on this issue (post 44048 iOS/Mac issues for the wrt3200acm) if I were to donate a router? I just picked up an r9000 and will likely never use my 3200acm again.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 4 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Marvell MVEBU based Hardware (WRT1900AC etc.) All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: