Second rsync backup server

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
joedow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 18:20    Post subject: Second rsync backup server Reply with quote
I need your help guys.

I have a working local rsync server on a Tp Link WDR3600. I whould like to build a second one off-site for secondary backup.
I want the first one to backup to the second one once a day, at night, if it is possible.

I can build and configure the second server. I need help with configuring rsync client in the first one, next to the rsync server...

I apriciate your help.
Sponsor
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 18:50    Post subject: Re: Second rsync backup server Reply with quote
joedow wrote:
I need your help guys.

I have a working local rsync server on a Tp Link WDR3600. I whould like to build a second one off-site for secondary backup.
I want the first one to backup to the second one once a day, at night, if it is possible.

I can build and configure the second server. I need help with configuring rsync client in the first one, next to the rsync server...

I apriciate your help.

I use rsync on my EA8500 to back up my USB stick mounted at /opt. I use this command to back it up nightly with a cron job:
Code:
rsync -r -t -p -o -g --progress --delete --ignore-existing -l -s /opt /tmp/mnt/smbshare/

If you type rsync without an arguments, it will explain all the command line options in my example. Also, if you have access to grsync, you can build your client commands via a GUI and export the command line from it to use in your router.

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r55779
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55799

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
joedow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you

I was more cautious about not screwing up the rsync daemon.

Do you know if that path works over internet?
lexridge
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
joedow wrote:
Thank you

I was more cautious about not screwing up the rsync daemon.

Do you know if that path works over internet?

To make this work over the Internet, you are going to most likely need some sort of tunnel such as Wireguard, or OpenVPN. You do not want to put Samba shares directly on the Internet. That would be asking for big time trouble.

Edit, you can embed rsync within ssh. Not sure how, but I am pretty sure it can be done.

Edit2: Check this link: https://phoenixnap.com/kb/how-to-rsync-over-ssh

Netgear R7800 (WDS-AP, WAP, VAP) - DD-WRT r55779
Features in use: multiple VLANs over single trunk port

Linksys EA8500 WDS Station x2 - DD-WRT r55799

Netgear R6400v2 WAP, VAP 2.4ghz only w/VLANs over single trunk port. DD-WRT r55779

OSes: Fedora 38, 9 RPis (2,3,4,5), 20 ESP8266s: Straight from Amiga to Linux in '94, never having owned a Windows PC.

Forum member #248
joedow
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you, that helped alot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: