Netgear WNR3500U/L physical ports don't work after flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
ronddwrt123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:47    Post subject: Netgear WNR3500U/L physical ports don't work after flash Reply with quote
I have the Netgear WNR3500U/L. I was trying to switch to DDWRT from Tomato, i loaded the trailed chk file into Tomato, ran the upgrade, and it seemed to reboot into DDWRT just fine.

But i noticed none of the physical ports worked, not the WAN or LAN ports. The WLAN worked fine, i could connect, see the Web UI, attempting to reflash via webUI just showed the loading icon forever (1hr +) or showed me an error that you can only flash via wired connected.

I connected via Telnet to flash via wifi and see the attached error message, it seems to think the board is a wrt54g, so none of the netgear images will take. Is there a way to force this to re-flash?

I tried the tftp, and I can see on reboot the device registers as 192.168.1.1 for a few seconds, but i can't ever get the tftp transfer to initiate.

ddwrtboard.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  75.06 KB
 Viewed:  407 Time(s)

ddwrtboard.png

ddwrterr.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.42 KB
 Viewed:  407 Time(s)

ddwrterr.png

Sponsor
msoengineer
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
afaik, you have to go back to stock before you can go to dd-wrt... Tomato runs different from dd-wrt and you can't go from one 3rd party firmware to another... you have to revert to stock first.

TIPS/TRICKS: Best QCA Wifi Settings | Latency tricks | QoS Port priority | NEVER USE MU-MIMO |
Why to NOT use MU-MIMO | Max Wifi Pwr by Country | Linux Wifi Pwr | AC MCS & AX MCS | QCA 5Ghz chnls to use | WIFI Freq WIKI | TFTP R7800 | Don't buy AX | IPERF3 How-To

[R9000]46395 nightly (Main Router)
[EA8500]43192 & 45493 (2xOffsite)
[R7800]napping
[WDR3600]BS 44715 (Offsite)
[A7v5]BS 43038 (Offsite+spare napping)
kernel-panic69
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
If a reset of nvram didn't work via reset button or webUI in DD-WRT, then refer to the wiki:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNR3500L

Also, 40559 is a deprecated build, the router database is not updated:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/

Please DO NOT PM me with questions; Ask in the forum. ---------------------- Linux User #377467 counter.li.org / linuxcounter.net
ronddwrt123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
kernel-panic69 wrote:
If a reset of nvram didn't work via reset button or webUI in DD-WRT, then refer to the wiki:

https://wiki.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNR3500L

Also, 40559 is a deprecated build, the router database is not updated:

https://download1.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/downloads/betas/2020/

Okay, i'm back on stock firmware. Whew.

These instructions didn't work, but it pointed me in the right direction. there was an exe called "mtd" already installed with ddwrt, and I just had to do "mtd erase linux" command straight from dd wrt via telnet, it erased, then i was able to successfully tftp the stock chk file from Netgear's website.
flood404
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 17:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I own that exact router here. That thing is complete piece of shit too.

The router you need to set each port up so its bridged to the LAN connection. Only the wifi works if you don't set this. If I remember right its in the networking tab in the GUI.

I gave this router to a relative over a year ago. Had DD-WRT on it. Worked fine for light duty use but then it finally needed to be powered cycled all the time to keep a connection. I read online this model is piece of crap that will do this once it starts dying. There is no firmware that will fix this. Oh and the recent Mega builds to get the USB port to work on this model are too big for the flash memory to hold. You have to sacrifice the USB use for a mini build which does not include USB support to run recent versions.

My advice is to get the Netgear AC1450 on ebay for $25 or so. You will be much happier with that one instead of the 3500L. It does not need the run around to get the LAN ports to work and its been reliable for me for 2 years now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: